Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to remove or fill in paint scratches. I have a few fine scratches on my car. You only can see them upon close examination but still....this car is my baby. Has anyone tried Meguiars ScratchX. Did a google search and this came up. Let me know what options I have or what you have tried....thanx

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
As long as the scratches is still in the clear coat, and not down to paint (or beyond), you can use Scratch-X or just about any other rubbing compound to take 'em out.

Just follow instructions and don't be too agressive, as our cars do not have a real thick clear coat.

Mike

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Is there any way to remove or fill in paint scratches. I have a few fine scratches on my car. You only can see them upon close examination but still....this car is my baby. Has anyone tried Meguiars ScratchX. Did a google search and this came up. Let me know what options I have or what you have tried....thanx
....yes, you can although the efffectiveness of products like these will depend greatly on the severity of the problem and how they are applied. I would be hesitant to use a compound by hand since most typically require some amount of follow-up with a finishing polish to eliminate the micro-marring left behind.

Scratch-X is less abrasive than Ultimate Compound but a little more aggressive than Swirl-X and Ultimate Polish. If you're looking for corrective ability and some masking ability, Ultimate Polish may be better suited for this task. It has quite a bit more polishing oils than its cousins that can act as fillers for more minor blemishes. If you can swing it, you may want to get both just to test and see.

Choose a small area on a panel, mask it off (with painters tape) and test/evaluate your products there before taking on the entire car. The last thing you want to do is polish the entire vehicle by hand only to be greeted with a dismal result. Once you have the test area at a level you are satisfied, you will then know what will be required to do the rest of the car (and/or if you need to rethink your situation, choice in products, etc.).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts