Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has offered to use a Paint Sealant on my Black Challenger for 300$.
I have an appointment for this Friday.
What do you guys think about this product (called Master Shield)?
The guy at the body shop highly recommended it - especially since the car is black.
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's a nice way for them to pad their bottom line, that's about all I can say about it.
For a fraction of the cost, get some Zaino polish, apply twice a year. Your paint will still look like new years from now. That's been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yup, I agree.....don't do it. A guy I worked with got "waxed" by the dealer when he agreed to have his car done by them. He paid $500 though:notallthere:. After about 2 months his car's finish looked just like everyone elses in the lot.:disgust:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Don't do it,when a dealer makes an offer like that,run!Plus they'll probably screw up your car while they're at it...

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is just a glorified wax. Nothing the dealer will try and up sell you on is worth getting. Nothing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys, seems like like everyone is in agreement.
I do have all the supplies for detailing it myself anyway.
Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I did it. Regret it. Waste of money. If your car has stripes, they will most likely run the machine over them too. My stripes have imperfections (tiny bubbles, tiny cuts, blemishes) showing up now..not sure it was caused by the polishing. Stripes arent shiny, but they dont have the original finish as a virgin stripe.

·
Premium Member
7,317 Posts
I asked my dealer NOT to wax my car during the PDI which is something they routinely do for all their new cars. All I had to do was look at the cars in the showroom. They were full of spider web scratches.

Don't forget that your paint is already sealed by the clear coat. When you wax your car, you are waxing the clear coat.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hi Rich,

While I have no personal experience with Master Shield, these semi-permanent/permanent coatings can be legitimate. In other words, they're not necessarily "snake oil" or over-hyped waxes/sealants.

However, as a coating, the final result will only look as good as the application and (more importantly) the preparation. Slap a one of these coatings on a finish that has flaws (i.e. buffer trails/halograms, scratches, etc.), and you essentially lock those blemishes in (at least for as long as the product lasts). This is why I personally don't recommend dealer applied solutions like this to friends/family and tell them to either keep up the maintenance themselves (using a variety of of good waxes/sealants) or to have a professional, reputable detailer do the work.

Also, dealers tend to sell these solutions with the idea that you will never have to wax your car again (or at least for as long as they say the product lasts). However, these coatings are not impervious to scratches or other flaws from routine washing/maintenance. Even in a properly prepped and applied scenario, it is important to make sure that your technique and regimen are sound. Any scratches you induce will need to be corrected just like the paint it protects. ....correction means abrasion and abrasion means you are removing some (if not all) of the coating you paid good money for. Some dealers have a warranty that covers such blemishes but again, I am always leery of letting any of those Neanderthal hacks you typically find in the back lot touch my vehicles.

On a side note, there are coatings like these that the average Joe can get a hold of. More recently, a product from Optimum called Opti-Coat was recently released to the general public (once only available to professional detailers). This coating differentiates itself from your typical sealant since it is quite literally permanent. ....meaning, the only way to get it off is by abrasion (i.e. compound/polish). On the other hand, its characteristics are interesting since it is chemically resistant and appears to shed contaminants very easily. It does so well at releasing substances that it won't even hold other products you try to top it with after it cures (even subsequent coats of Opti-Coat). Anyhow, I was following this product for over a year and bought some when they made the release. I'll post up my own experiences in a new thread once I get the chance to start playing with it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
are these products based on nano - technology?
....some may claim to be but if they are truly based on "nano-technology" could be a different story. Personally, its the particular characteristics of the product that matter most to me rather than what they choose to classify the formulation as in this case.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
are these products based on nano - technology?
I ask that because I was told from different people that I should do a nano sealing on my BB.
That could be what they are referring to then. ....but honestly, to me it would be the same as someone telling me to use a "wax" or "sealant" on my car. "Nano" is a general term used by companies (and in some cases, quite loosely). It really depends on the individual product you're talking about. They can vary in characteristics (ie durability, shedding ability, appearance, resilience, etc.). ....just like waxes and sealants do.

btw, the Opti-Coat I mentioned earlier is not a "nano" product according to Dr G from Optimum. ....to be honest, I find it all a bit of egghead babble anyhow. As a consumer, Im more interested in the result.

·
Registered
183 Posts
that's it...
I don't know yet, if I do it I have to drive the car to germany to get it done. they give a one year warranty, but I have do wash the car with special products. They claim that depending on use (garage, outside, winter,...) the sealant could last up to 3 years but at least one year...
Unfortunately I know noone having it done because it's not available in my country and quite new o the market... at least in europe...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
that's it...
I don't know yet, if I do it I have to drive the car to germany to get it done. they give a one year warranty, but I have do wash the car with special products. They claim that depending on use (garage, outside, winter,...) the sealant could last up to 3 years but at least one year...
Unfortunately I know noone having it done because it's not available in my country and quite new o the market... at least in europe...
....yeah. There are all sorts of similar "systems", "treatments", etc. Some are semi-permanent requiring follow ups or even special maintenance as you pointed out. Some of these products are originating from outside of the US and are only recently making an impact in the consumer market here. I actually use a semi-perm nano-like product right now from G/Technique on my trim. They also make products for application on paint that will last ~1-2 years (like the C4 I have). AQuartz is another one that gets discussed in detailing circles that I believe originates from Asia.

You'll have to figure out if the cost is worth it to you. As I mentioned before, these products don't guard against scratches caused during your wash/maintenance regimen. Using their products is fine, but if youre careless while washing, it will all be a moot point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts