Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a major issue with a paint shop that repaired my 2015 Challenger R/T Shaker and I really need some help/tips because I don't know what to do now. BTW, I'm French so sorry for my English. I'll do my best to write.

Here's the story:

This winter a big snow blower truck threw snow directly on the roof of my precious Challenger and made two major dents. So long story short, I proved it was the truck's fault and the company said it will pay for the repairs. So, it proposed a shop and I checked it out on the Internet. It seemed a really good place and I saw some nice photos of repaired luxury cars repaired that made me trust this shop.

So, I went there. The owner seemed like a good person. We agreed that he will need to remove the shaker stripe off the roof, fix the dents, repaint the area and then wait two months (after the paint cured) to apply a new stripe. Well, after the new stripes there are lots of defects everywhere!

Here a list of defects he added to my car after doing his job :

- There's many bumps/dirt imperfections in the paint. You can clearly see them. When you look at the finish you see little bumps popping out in the paint. The color match is perfect but the paint is badly applied.
- Paint shop answer : It's normal. You can't get a perfect finish with a paint gun since it's not like the factory. He also said if I wished, he could find many of these imperfections over all my car if he wanted to prove that Dodge did a poor paint job at the factory.

- The finish is not smooth to the touch. If I glide my finger on painted area, I can feel that it is rough. Before, when I polished/waxed my car, it had a smooth/slick feel. Now, it looks like he didn't polished the new paint job at all.
- Paint shop answer: It's normal after polish and waxing. He said he can do it again to get abetter result but he doesn't want to burn the clearcoat.

- Paint on the window trim. Yeah, he painted on my window trim. I know he taped my car you can see his masking tape line on the trim, but it wasn't enough.
- Paint shop answer : Oh no, it's not me. I didn't paint this area, it must be Dodge's fault. I showed him some pictures he sent me while repairing my car and you can clearly see he fixed a dent just above with filler. He ten changeed his answer- yeah it's a tape problem and we are at fault. He further said that he can fix that if I wish (Hell yeah, you are going to fix this)!

- Paint overs pray at a corner of the window trim.
- No answer for this one. He went onto another subject.

- Shaker stripes on the roof not aligned. They are simply not the same dimension and there are gap differences almost everywhere on the roof. Normally, I think it's should align like a U shape, but now it's more of a V shape from the hood to the roof then it does a /\ shape at the end of the roof- not aligned at all.
- Paint shop answer : They were like that when you I took your car. They were not aligned at all. Some spots had a gap of a 1/2 inch he said. Also, Dodge custom make them. There's not part # for them so it cannot be perfect.

- Dirt under the stripes. The roof has three spots where I can see bumps (dirt) between the stripe and the paint.
- Paint shop answer : It's impossible to make it smooth everywhere. Every new shaker will have dirt bumps.

His final answer for my stripes. It's not his fault. He took the car to another shop for this work and I should go there and deal with the other shop.

I know my car didn't have any of these defects before taking it to his shop. I wash it at least two times per week, and I know every single defect. Yes, my car is not perfect but now it's really far from being in a good condition. So now I just simply don't know what to do. I cannot prove my shaker stripe was not like that before, and I don't have any measurement to compare. Also, I don't want to go to the court for this but it seems that I won't have much choice.

Pictures of every defect will come later as soon as it stops raining.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pictures of my paint defects. As you can see in the first picture, I got those everywhere!! I counted more than 20 on this panel. I even found a spot where I can clearly see he tried to sand it down but forgot to polish it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Man, that's some shoddy painting. I'd tell this guy that "I want my car done right, or I'll see you in court." You have all of the pics to prove what he's done, and even if he claims that "the paint was like that" or "It's another shop's fault", a judge will see this and say that the car should never leave the shop with these blemishes and mistakes. How does anyone stay in business putting out work like this? Incredible!

·
Registered
515 Posts
That is completely unacceptable. I'm sorry I don't have advice for you on how to deal with it but definitely do not accept that or any of his excuses.

Sounds like he knew the guy at the shop and both are trying to keep the price low with crappy work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't believe I would take my car back to that shop. The quality (or lack thereof) and excuses are just too much. I seriously doubt if they are capable of fixing the problems. There are plenty of shops that can. Unfortunately, they already got paid. Best case is to get them to pay someone capable of doing it right, but that's going to take some serious arm twisting.

Really wish you the best, nothing. That "paint shop" managed to make a bad situation much worse!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your reply! I went yesterday to see a friend with a plum crazy R/T Shaker and, wow, his shaker stripes at the factory are so well aligned !! We both laughed at mine when we compared our cars. The worst is that the other shop that did mine is supposed to be one of the best in Quebec City and has an very good reputation.

Also, I've counted more than 25 "fisheyes" in the rear quarter panel !! We even found a spot where he tried to sand one down and forgot to polish it. The problem is every defect in the paint is in the base coat and not in the clear coat. This is noticeable in the sanded spot.

Honestly, I don't think I'll continue with this car I don't want it anymore. I did some call and now I know the delay for the court here in Quebec City ... minimum 16 months of waiting ...

I'm going today to see a new Green Go RT Shaker at a dealership, I just hope he is going to make me a good deal !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,932 Posts
I believe these flaws are referred to as fisheyes

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,855 Posts
You definitely got a shoddy paint job and are dealing with a bad paint shop. Any reputable shop would acknowledge its mistake and correct the problem.

You should not accept any of their lame excuses.

I would take them to small claims court (the Small Claims Division of the Court of Quebec). The rules are more simple than in other courts and you can represent yourself. This court hears cases for claims of $15,000 or less. If you have photos of your car, before the damage, use them as evidence. If not, take photos of several other Shakers on a new car lot to document the paint condition and stripe alignment from the factory.

Here is a link for the steps that you should follow, starting with demand letters.

https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/categories/legal-system

Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe these flaws are referred to as fisheyes

A Guy
Thanks for the information, I'll go look about that on the internet that I now know the name of these defects.

You definitely got a shoddy paint job and are dealing with a bad paint shop. Any reputable shop would acknowledge its mistake and correct the problem.

You should not accept any of their lame excuses.

I would take them to small claims court (the Small Claims Division of the Court of Quebec). The rules are more simple than in other courts and you can represent yourself. This court hears cases for claims of $15,000 or less. If you have photos of your car, before the damage, use them as evidence. If not, take photos of several other Shakers on a new car lot to document the paint condition and stripe alignment from the factory.

Here is a link for the steps that you should follow, starting with demand letters.

https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/categories/legal-system

Good luck.

Thanks for all the informations but it seem the delay is very long, I heard it could take up to 16 months. The choice I'm thinking right now is I'll go look and make an order for a new 2018.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Go to a few other body shops and get estimates to repair the defects caused by his poor workmanship. Then take him to Court.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T
129 Posts
I agree, that sop is shady AF! I wold take my car back and demand that he fixes it right. You have all the proof that the shop did a botched job on your car. And if he doesn't comply take him to court...HIT HIM HARD IN HIS POCKETS!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks everyone for your reply! I went yesterday to see a friend with a plum crazy R/T Shaker and, wow, his shaker stripes at the factory are so well aligned !! We both laughed at mine when we compared our cars. The worst is that the other shop that did mine is supposed to be one of the best in Quebec City and has an very good reputation.

Also, I've counted more than 25 "fisheyes" in the rear quarter panel !! We even found a spot where he tried to sand one down and forgot to polish it. The problem is every defect in the paint is in the base coat and not in the clear coat. This is noticeable in the sanded spot.

Honestly, I don't think I'll continue with this car I don't want it anymore. I did some call and now I know the delay for the court here in Quebec City ... minimum 16 months of waiting ...

I'm going today to see a new Green Go RT Shaker at a dealership, I just hope he is going to make me a good deal !
I was going to say after looking at the first batch of pics to just sell this car & get another new one, or a mint used. Your car will NEVER be right again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts