Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I must have run over something. Got paint splash on the rear wheel and bumper. Using some clearner wax, the splashes on the bumper came off. But the paint would not come off the chrome wheels. I even tried a plastic credit card as a scraper. So what's my next step? How harsh should I go?

The paint is tan color so it's really not that visible 5 feet away because it's tan color and blends in with a dirty wheel. But it's obvious at 2-3 feel away. I don't really know how long it was on the car. I would say more than 3 months ago because that's when the car was washed.

TIA

File example of my wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I ran into some freshly painted road lines and splashed yellow paint on my wheels, rocker panels and inner fenders. I used low-odor Mineral spirits (The kind that looks like cream, not the old-fashioned clear turpentine). Took the paint off everything but the inner fenders and did not damage the finish. I never did get the yellow paint off of the plastic inner fenders. It mostly wore off over time, but if you look real close, you can still see some yellow flecks. Gotta stick your head in the wheel well, and since I'm the only one who does that to my car, I'm not concerned.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mineral spirits is what one would used to clean paint. So I'm sure it will work. Will it strip the finish of the wheel? Or even the chrome?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,694 Posts
Get some Sonax Full Effect, let it dwell a bit (don't let it dry, if it dries, apply more). Work with soft brush or mitt. See if that works. Ph neutral, won't harm wheels.

A Guy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mind if I ask this. So I'm reading the bottle of Sonax Full Effect.

"Safe on painted; anodized and clear coated wheels." That's what I want. However, the thing I'm trying to remove is paint.

What do you think?

Yes, I will try it. If it does not work, I will still have a bottle of good wheel cleaner that I'll use later on. Just asking to be better educated about this product.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,694 Posts
I thought of that, but you have spots of paint on another surface. It's meant not to streak, stain paint, etc. If it removes the specs, likely they won't be streaked or stained :) I recommended it because it's wheel safe, and is very effective normally. If it doesn't take the paint off, it will do no harm.

Next step would be a very fine polishing compound hand polished I'd think. A Guy

·
Registered
352 Posts
You could get some plastic razor blades to carefully scrape away at the paint after spraying the wheels with detailer spray. The blades wouldn't readily scratch the clear coat. Those wheels are clear coated so I'd be afraid to use anything like lacquer thinner or acetone on them. You could also try a clay bar in combination with some detail spray for lubrication...that may take off smaller spec's of paint, but you would have to be patient.

That's all I have for suggestions for now, but I'll leave more if I can think of anything else. With that paint possibly being on the wheels for a while it's probably been cured on there pretty tight since the wheels do get warm or even hot while driving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think I read they have a clear coat painted finish. I was suggesting using brake fluid. On a chrome rim that's a perfect solution, but if they have any type of paint it will damage that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your replies guys. Clay bar did it. It just came off like it was an eraser. The end result? I did "scratch" it a bit. I'm guessing because I was using a small piece of clay, didn't have enough clay to knead, and/or brake dust are 'sharp". Don't know. Anyhow it did come off.

The take away from this perahps is to always wax your wheels too? The paint came off the body easy. But I'm wondering if my wheel was also nicely waxed, would it come off easier?

Honestly, I never wax the wheels like I do the car. I normally just run my wax rag over the wheels before I throw them away. That's was the extent of my wheel waxing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Honestly, I never wax the wheels like I do the car. I normally just run my wax rag over the wheels before I throw them away. That's was the extent of my wheel waxing.
Most people don't think to wax the wheels, but I like to do it a couple times a year - and especially when I rotate the tires. I hit the inside barrels with wax too when I do that. The brake dust doesn't seem to accumulate as much between washes with that wax on there, plus I get to take a good look and remove anything nasty on the wheel surfaces that way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------//------

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,694 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts