Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mazda3 5 sp sedan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not made a purchase yet , just started shopping for a new car actually. I am curious how the exterior body paint is for Challenger models 2019 and up? Is it thin and chip easily like I read about Ford and other makes? I know the new environmental laws put this into effect but surely some makes are better than others. Hoping the new 2021/2022 Challengers are not extremely bad. Thanks in advance for any input. And make it a manual for me, no matter what car I pick!

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
420 Posts
I haven't had a single paint issue going back 10 years on FCA products including 2 Jeeps, 1 Charger, and now 3 Challengers.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a 2016 and over 91k miles with minor chips on the hood and one on the side. The ones on the hood are more like pin size from a sand truck leaking sand on the highway and a small rock chip on the lower passenger door. Like any other car or paint job, depending on how much you drive and your environment, rock chips are inevitable. My Challenger is a daily driver and the car my wife and I take on long trips and it's held up really nice.

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
I've had no paint issues with either my previous '10 R/TC or my present '16 SP from the factory.

Haven't heard that the '19+ years are any different, quality or durability wise.

Your enviroment and where you drive IMO, are the biggest factors. I'm in a rural area, so dust and various sized gravel on paved roads is a constant given.

"Road rash" from driving is normal. Some folks add clear film protection in areas, but that's another topic in itself. I've never had any applied.

It's a personal choice, but to your question, I wouldn't be more concerned with paint on '19+ cars vs previous years.

Best if luck on your quest and don't "settle" on a color, get the one you really want. IMO, color is the most important option you pick as you'll see it all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
27 Posts
I've got 10,000 miles on my 2019 and I've only got one chip on the front end from following a construction vehicle with rocks flying out of it. Other than that, still looks brand new!

·
Registered
2006 Mazda3 5 sp sedan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like Dodge has better paint to me. That is a very good thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts