Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was detailing the car last weekend, and I noticed that there is some paint transfer on the driver's side door weather stripping shown in attachment 1. I've only had the car for about a year, so I would think that this is a fairly significant amount of paint transfer. Do you guys think this is cause for concern? If anyone else has experienced this, how did you remedy it?

On a related note, I've had this other concern for a while now. Attachment 2 shows the black triangle of material at the front of the driver's side window, which exhibits some odd discoloration. It's been like this as long as I can remember, so I can only imagine that it must have been due to the Phoenix weather while it was on the dealer's lot. In any case, does anyone have any advise for trying to repair this damage, if it can be?

Any advise will be much appreciated, thanks!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Update: I've discovered the cause of both problems. Updating original post to help future readers.

What I thought was paint transfer is likely not paint transfer, and it took a long time for the right circumstances to arise to figure it out. There was a particular place I parked at a job site that occasionally got quite windy, and the wind coming through that area contained very fine dust that would collect along the weatherstripping, and particularly thick in that spot. I only figured it out when I noticed it literally the day after I fully detailed the car, and saw the deposit upon getting home on a windy day.

The discoloration on the rubbery material ended up being from the interior detailer spray I use to clean the inside. I discovered this when I thought I'd use the same rag to rub some stuff off of it, and I saw it left that gunk. Got to be careful not to cross-contaminate!

Door.jpg
Window.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello PrestonRT.
The white paint transfer would concern me (actually both do). Carefully inspect the way the door closes and the "lines" or gaps as well. I don't think the rubber should be rubbing so hard that it is removing the paint. Are you sure it's actually paint..not dried wax or polish?

Regarding the triangular piece, mine looks the same. On both doors! I'm pretty sure others have mentioned this anomaly as well. Just another shining example of the very poor quality of Dodge plastics...they are so damn cheap! I believe Dodge is very aware of this as they refuse to cover any plastic trim pieces in their extended warranty, things that make you go hmm... If you car is covered by the original factory warranty, I would absolutely document this and present it to your local dealer. Moving forward, keep a close eye on all the other plastic trim as much of it may end up cracking on its own or with relatively little use, like mine has. Be sure to get it covered under warranty. In my case, the rocker panels (may have since revised the design), the thin drivers door trim strip along the top edge of the main plastic panel, a heater vent in the dash, and the large plastic cover in the center of the steering wheel. All cracked/broken. Such crap!

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I'll have some time this weekend to investigate the door closing. Will update if I learn anything of value.

Preston

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!

It took a while to get around to it, but I found that the discoloration on the front triangular section of window molding (attachment 2 of original post) could be rubbed out with a sufficient amount of elbow grease. I ended up rubbing on it with 2500 grit wet sand paper to clean it up, then followed it up with some trim restore compound. There's still some non-uniformity that I need to work out, but its significantly improved. I will post an after photo after I've finished evening it all out, to verify that the process works before I recommend anyone else trying it.

As for the paint transfer (attachment 1 of original post), I have decided to put a piece of clear gorilla tape over the painted region that the weather stripping makes contact.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! I'm very happy with how the rubber piece looks after buffing the discoloration out. Still not sure where it came from, but it was apparently some kind of adsorbed gunk. Attachment 1 shows final result.

As for the paint transfer on the inside door weatherstripping, I've remedied this by laying down some gorilla tape where the rubbing was occurring. Attachment 2 shows final result.

Hopefully no one else has the same problems but if you do, the corrections were fairly easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice Job on the triangular rubber, looks great! I'll have to try that fix. About the paint transfer though, is the door properly aligned? Still seems like an unusual problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if your paint was coming off there would be a wear spot on the paint and it wouldn't be on the rubber.it would need to rub thru the clear first to get to the white and that would leave an obvious spot.it looks like your paint is fine except for the packing tape you put in that spot that over time will do actual damage to your finish.i have a sublime car and have the same white on the rubbers

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice Job on the triangular rubber, looks great! I'll have to try that fix. About the paint transfer though, is the door properly aligned? Still seems like an unusual problem.
Thanks. I don't see any alignment problems whatsoever, and the shape of the weatherstripping doesn't look any different than anyone else's, so I don't know why. I guess its just one of them things.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
if your paint was coming off there would be a wear spot on the paint and it wouldn't be on the rubber.it would need to rub thru the clear first to get to the white and that would leave an obvious spot.it looks like your paint is fine except for the packing tape you put in that spot that over time will do actual damage to your finish.i have a sublime car and have the same white on the rubbers
Well, my observation was that the paint texture felt different where it was meeting the weatherstrip in that particular spot, which leads me to believe that its wearing into the clear coat. However, I see now obvious misalignments, so I can't explain why I would have this problem. If you see the same white on the same area on a sublime car, then perhaps there is something else going on?

Edit: I've wiped the material off of the weatherstrip piece, so what I can do now is monitor over time to see if it returns. I'd wiped it off in the past so I know that it comes back over time. Its taped off now so if the weatherstrip doesn't remain clean, then the source is elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts