Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my weekend project was painting my calipers. I used the G2 kit and I think it came out pretty darn good. My girlfriend helped me, since she likes painting - it was a good way to kill a few hours and a few beers.

If I could do it again, I would have done it when I first got the car instead of 11k miles later. There would have been less brake dust to clean off. I was very surprised to see the condition of my brake pads - there was a ton of pad left. Very surprising to me since I drive my car quite hard.

Anyway - here are a few pictures !

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also went a little crazy with the extra paint...painting random things in my garage that I could find. I just hate throwing stuff away - even if it's just nice epoxy paint !

I gave my new Barton shifter and Moroso catch can a little color.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks relly good, specially the catch can and shifter. Very original. What kind of brush did you use for the shifter and the catch can.
Again very nice.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you !

I just used the brush that came with the caliper kit. Just brushed real heavy over the wording then blotted it off with a rag, then wiped it off with a little mineral spirits on a rag.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's a cool technic, you Sir are the man. I'll keep that idea in the back of my head, maybe I can try something similar with my catch can. Again, nice looking Challenger.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My next weekend project when it gets warmer , is the painted calipers. I am not a brake guy. How does the front calipers come off? How long do you have to wait for the paint to dry before driving? Yours came out fantastic. My car is also a GCM, but 2014 RT Plus. I just swapped my chin spoiler for a SRT chin spoiler. Alot of work for plastic parts !

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you ! And the calipers come apart very easily. Two bolts on each caliper. Take them out and then pop/pry the caliper off. You then remove the pads and pop out the two clips that the pads slide into. It is more effort to remove the wheels than to take the calipers off. I used blocks of wood to prop the calipers up while painting them.

I did 3 coats, and the instructions say not to drive the vehicle for 24 hrs. The first coat went on very thing and you could see through it in a lot of spots (much like painting the walls in your house). The second coat covered very well. I did the third coat because there was a lot of paint left and it couldn't hurt to do one more.

The can was only half full from the manufacturer ... but that stuff went a long way. I still ended up throwing a bunch away.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice job it looks great definitely worth adding to my mod list.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - I wish I would have done it sooner. It was pretty easy. It's a good rainy weekend project.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looks good. I had a Charger in this color and loved it...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Nice Job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks really good!

I also am highly considering painting the calipers on my Challenger R/T. With the 20" wheels you can easily see the brake calipers and I want something as eye catching as what Woz10 just did. It's blue with white stripes down the sides, anyone have any suggestions on what color calipers would look awesome on the car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts