Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I finally got around to one of my projects I've been wanting to do.
Removed the fuel door and peeled the plasti dip.

Started off with some high temp low gloss paint. The reason I used this was due to the fact I wasn't gonna use clear on top. Looked good after four coats. But I wanted a little more protection. So I added three coats of clear. Actually turned out like the OEM black fuel door. Blends into the body well.

There is still blue painters tape on the center insert spot. Awaiting BT SRT insert.

Here's the results:

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks good. :bigthumb:

Reactions: SRTbatmobile

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another closer photo. Can't attach more than one picture at a time from my phone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
My mother taught me " If you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all". Sooooo...... No comment! ........ . :5:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My mother taught me " If you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all". Sooooo...... No comment! ........ . :5:

So I'm under the assumption your not a fan of the black fuel door? Chrome is cool for a retro style. I have no chrome on my car so its a sore eye on the side IMO.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
So I'm under the assumption your not a fan of the black fuel door? Chrome is cool for a retro style. I have no chrome on my car so its a sore eye on the side IMO.
Agreed. I hate chrome. Black fuel door is one of the first things i did when i got my car. Looks great bud.
For me, chrome belongs on classic cars and late model Impalas. Not on my girl :thumbsup:

Reactions: SRTbatmobile

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I hate chrome. Black fuel door is one of the first things i did when i got my car. Looks great bud.
For me, chrome belongs on classic cars and late model Impalas. Not on my girl :thumbsup:
Thanks Wade.
And I agree, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and style preference. Chrome just doesn't fit my current look.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Well...... Ok......... I tried to steer clear of this but here goes. I'm not a fan of cheaply done work. I had a Black Drake fuel door on my car recently that I took off. Went back to the chrome because it fits better with my chrome wheels, hood pins, white rally stripes. I may sell off my Drake black fuel door and get a Drake Chrome or satin one.

I understand what you're trying to do. Someone else posted pics awhile back of their Header Orange fuel door on their HO car. I didn't like it either. I'm not saying you shouldn't go with a black or orange fuel door. I just think the painted ones look......well.... cheap. It probably looked better with the plasti-dip just because of the contrast. I'm sure the BT insert will improve it.

To me it says....."Hey I painted this myself with a can of spray paint". Just my 2 cents worth.....sorry...... :5:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well...... Ok......... I tried to steer clear of this but here goes. I'm not a fan of cheaply done work. I had a Black Drake fuel door on my car recently that I took off. Went back to the chrome because it fits better with my chrome wheels, hood pins, white rally stripes. I may sell off my Drake black fuel door and get a Drake Chrome or satin one.

I understand what you're trying to do. Someone else posted pics awhile back of their Header Orange fuel door on their HO car. I didn't like it either. I'm not saying you shouldn't go with a black or orange fuel door. I just think the painted ones look......well.... cheap. It probably looked better with the plasti-dip just because of the contrast. I'm sure the BT insert will improve it.

To me it says....."Hey I painted this myself with a can of spray paint". Just my 2 cents worth.....sorry...... :5:
And you are entitled to your own opinion. No hard feelings. That's the reason most post things is to get more opinions on their work.

I for one am very happy with the turn out. The pictures don't do it justice. Plus it's a crappy cell phone photo. Side by side with the OEM black fuel door it's almost identical. I agree it's not 100% factory spray or powder coating. But it's close enough that I didn't have to spend $200+ to get the same look.

And I like the drake fuel door I think it's the best looking one on the market. I just can't justify spending $175 or so on a door.

You want to sell me your all drake black fuel door for cheap lol???

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
And you are entitled to your own opinion. No hard feelings. That's the reason most post things is to get more opinions on their work.

I for one am very happy with the turn out. The pictures don't do it justice. Plus it's a crappy cell phone photo. Side by side with the OEM black fuel door it's almost identical. I agree it's not 100% factory spray or powder coating. But it's close enough that I didn't have to spend $200+ to get the same look.

And I like the drake fuel door I think it's the best looking one on the market. I just can't justify spending $175 or so on a door.

You want to sell me your all drake black fuel door for cheap lol???

PM sent............ :5:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea i understand what youre saying vichris, but on the other hand, i would respect someone more if they modified a part themselves than someone that buys the identical part because they are too lazy to do the work themselves. These types of ppl are commonly the ones that drive ridiculously fast and expensive cars (ie. corvettes) but couldnt tell you the displacement or compression ratio of the engine. I like to call this particular sect of people "yuppies", and id rather be a shade tree mechanic over a yuppie any day of the week. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Yea i understand what youre saying vichris, but on the other hand, i would respect someone more if they modified a part themselves than someone that buys the identical part because they are too lazy to do the work themselves. These types of ppl are commonly the ones that drive ridiculously fast and expensive cars (ie. corvettes) but couldnt tell you the displacement or compression ratio of the engine. I like to call this particular sect of people "yuppies", and id rather be a shade tree mechanic over a yuppie any day of the week. Just my .02
And I appreciate what you're saying too.

There's a local "person" who has done a bunch of "custom" painting and other work on their Challenger. The person also goes to the local "Party City" store and buys up a bunch of other flashy bling that the person then decorates their car with at local shows. Honestly is looks like sh!t,..... And it embarrasses the hell out of me to be associated with said person. Now I'm not at all saying SRTbatmobile falls into this category at all. Far from it. Its just not appealing IMHO. Like I said I'm sure the BT insert will improve it.

Honestly I really like "different". I like when people tastefully individualize their car. Hope there's no hard feeling....... :5:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

There's a local "person" who has done a bunch of "custom" painting and other work on their Challenger. The person also goes to the local "Party City" store and buys up a bunch of other flashy bling that the person then decorates their car with at local shows. Honestly is looks like sh!t,..... And it embarrasses the hell out of me to be associated with said person. Now I'm not at all saying SRTbatmobile falls into this category at all. Far from it. Its just not appealing IMHO. Like I said I'm sure the BT insert will improve it.

Honestly I really like "different". I like when people tastefully individualize their car. Hope there's no hard feeling....... :5:

oh god that sounds awful... lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

No hard feelings here. If you were to compare me to that "d0uche" it may be a different story lol.

And I understand where your coming with you wanting something with a little more contrast rather than to blend in. But see I prefer the painted SE door or a fuel door like mine that blends in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
cap looks fine...imo its a gas cap for fv...ck sake!...and yes those cheap chrome gas caps looks like shi...t on these cars!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it looks good versus spending over $100 on something. A little 200 grit, a little wheel and polish and it'll be about as good as anything.

As just an experiment I took 2 min and painted mine with plasti-dip. It matches my Classic stripes perfectly and my "experiment" has been there for the past 6-7 months, didn't even do any prep, ha.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it looks good versus spending over $100 on something. A little 200 grit, a little wheel and polish and it'll be about as good as anything.

As just an experiment I took 2 min and painted mine with plasti-dip. It matches my Classic stripes perfectly and my "experiment" has been there for the past 6-7 months, didn't even do any prep, ha.
Yeah, I'm giving everything a few days to cure before I buff it out. This guy has a blacktop here with the black fuel door. Parked next to him the other day. You can't tell the difference. Need this BT insert now.

And I had mine plasti dipped for almost a year. Looked good! I'm so careful when fueling. But it finally caught up to me lol. One little drop and oops there goes the PD.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buffed out and new BT Insert!!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts