1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used rustoleum spray paint in a can.

1x - White primer
1x - Silver
1x - Exterior clear coat. I used satin as I did not want it to shine much.
Note: I could not find clear coat in a spray can or rustoleum clear coat.

Before removing, original state:

After scoop has been removed: http://oi40.tinypic.com/2lk6236.jpg

Note: I used a credit card to remove the scoops, its very easy. Just put some painters tape down along the edge on the painted hood side, then gently slip a credit card under the scoop and lift up. It will come right out in no time. I will add a pic to this post shortly of it.

First coat of primer:

Note: I used 2 coats of primer total. The can said wait 1 hour or 3 days in between the 1st and 2nd coat. I went for the 1 hour wait and used a hair dryer at the end of 1 hour to speed it up a bit.

First coat of silver paint, after 2 coats of primer:

Clear coat #1 applied:

Finished drying and installed into the hood:

Looks good I think, not sure if I like the silver. Though I am happy with the turn out! :clap:

Update - here is how I removed the scoops with a card:

Also here is a video of installing functional ones. Same process. BTW the hood scoops in there are not even functional, looks only ;D

Functional Hood Scoops - YouTube

Finished before and after picture:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks Great! That makes them pop and gives some great definition to the hood.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks great! I've been thinking about doing this as well....Now that I see how good yours is, I think I may go ahead with it! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great! I've been thinking about doing this as well....Now that I see how good yours is, I think I may go ahead with it! :)
Sweet, go for it! Was super easy to do and twice as much fun. It also gave me a reason to use "watching the paint dry" when someone asked me what I was up too. I was literally watching it dry waiting to see it on the car! lol

Reactions: Hawkins

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to paint only the grill and not the surrounding edges
Looks awesome, I was just thinking about that too. Went out and bought some black paint. I plan to get some burnt orange or deep purple stripes soon, so prob going to be a work in progress to make them match the new look. I am just about sold on black matting the whole car, with stripes. I may just leave the grill silver and paint the outsides black.

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
It looks great with the color scheme of your car. I don't know, however, if it would look as good with other exterior paint colors.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I believe it will look great with just the screen done in silver

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New paint job:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time to strip some paint off somehow, to many coats they start looking funny. Any ideas to remove paint from plastic safely? I hear goo be gone does wonders. They looked better with just the one coat before I repainted them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Plastic paint stripper in a can twelve bucks at oreilly's

sent from mobile device

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Great job done over there!!!
Thanks for sharing these pictures. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
How do you paint just the screen? With a brush? Or do you cover the rest with tape or something so you can just spray a can down onto the screen? (My lack of paint experience is showing) I have a black R/T with red stripes, thinking the red screens would match nicely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts