Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a p1sc procharger and dislike the shiny intercooler . What do you think about painting the intercooler? I have the helical gears and painted black, no one would know :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about ProCharger. Thought it ruined the look of that perfect Challenger front end. Some like to show off the intercooler (I have a supercharger look). I called ProCharger and asked if it would be OK to black out the areas that you would see thru the upper and lower grill. They gave the OK. I used Krylon Barbecue black (it's flat black high temp. paint). If you do this, also paint the sides of the intercooler that correspond to your grill black out area. With the fascia off you will want to paint the sides of the headlight housings (closest to the grill opening) and anything else that you will see thru the grill with the former plastic "grill backing" removed for the ProCharger install. Paint application is two (2) light "dust coats" and one finish coat. Looks great when done, hard to notice the intercooler even close up. Been this way on mine for over four years, still looks great. Enjoy your ProCharger!

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Black will reflect heat better (radiators, intakes, intake tubes etc.) under the hood. Black will also absorb heat from the sun more so as long as there is no direct sunlight hitting the cooler, black should be a better color. If it is exposed to direct sunlight, lighter colors would work better.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I painted mine red.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Black will reflect heat better (radiators, intakes, intake tubes etc.) under the hood. Black will also absorb heat from the sun more so as long as there is no direct sunlight hitting the cooler, black should be a better color. If it is exposed to direct sunlight, lighter colors would work better.
:confused:

Well, there are two different things going on in your reply; Thermal properties and the effect of visible light.

Black doesn't reflect heat or light, but with the correct properties a black body or psuedo-black body will be more efficient at heat transfer; It will emit and absorb heat more efficiently than something that's not a black body.

Simply painting something black doesn't make it a black body and may hurt the thermal properties of the object by adding another layer that heat has to pass through.

Radiators are black to help with heat transfer.

The color black absorbs heat when exposed to the visible and IR spectrums, it doesn't reflect it. This is why black cars are so much hotter than light-colored cars when left out in the sun.

So, before going out and painting the intercooler I would contact the company that manufactured it and ask them their opinion on painting it as well as what to use to paint it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So, before going out and painting the intercooler I would contact the company that manufactured it and ask them their opinion on painting it as well as what to use to paint it.[/QUOTE]

You may have missed the part in my response to the OP about my calling ProCharger. The paint was discussed with them. It's been on the car for four years. There are no adverse effects to the operation of the ProCharger system. I'm sure the OP is aware that he can call the manufacturer and ask any questions he would like. You sort of, by saying he should call ProCharger, are implying that my response to him is either incorrect information, or false. You probably didn't intend this, but comes across as such.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Yahooligan said:
So, before going out and painting the intercooler I would contact the company that manufactured it and ask them their opinion on painting it as well as what to use to paint it.
You may have missed the part in my response to the OP about my calling ProCharger. The paint was discussed with them. It's been on the car for four years. There are no adverse effects to the operation of the ProCharger system. I'm sure the OP is aware that he can call the manufacturer and ask any questions he would like. You sort of, by saying he should call ProCharger, are implying that my response to him is either incorrect information, or false. You probably didn't intend this, but comes across as such.
No, my response was in response to the fellow I quoted (KJ392). :D I had no reason to question your results, but wanted to touch on what KJ392 posted in case people might get the idea that they could just paint things whatever or however without any impact to the efficiency of the intercooler and if they didn't have a Procharger then they should contact whoever supplied their intercooler. :)

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
:confused:

Well, there are two different things going on in your reply; Thermal properties and the effect of visible light.

Black doesn't reflect heat or light, but with the correct properties a black body or psuedo-black body will be more efficient at heat transfer; It will emit and absorb heat more efficiently than something that's not a black body.

Simply painting something black doesn't make it a black body and may hurt the thermal properties of the object by adding another layer that heat has to pass through.

Radiators are black to help with heat transfer.

The color black absorbs heat when exposed to the visible and IR spectrums, it doesn't reflect it. This is why black cars are so much hotter than light-colored cars when left out in the sun.

I guess I should have worded it differently. Black emits the most heat through radiation (under the hood with no light interaction) but will also have a high absorption rate when exposed to light waves (exposed to sunlight). I was thinking along the lines if the innercooler was exposed to sunlight, maybe silver would be better than black. Either way, contacting the supplier for their advice is the best advice of all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
IMHO it won't matter if it's painted or not painted - the design is only going to be efficient to a certain level. With short boost durations, I doubt if you will even notice a difference ( I didn't ). With long duration boost (road course) I had to return to my pits after 3-4 laps with or without paint (I used a light coat of BBQ grill paint) since the water temp was 250*.

Back to my initial thought - the current A2A IC is not very efficient at all over a long period of time. Substantiated data - I boosted my 2006 Mustang GT with a Vortech and before installing the 4" Bar/Plate A2A IC, I would only get a few laps at TWS before pegging the temp. With the IC, I was able to stay out on-track for the full 20-25min with water temps around 200-205*.

For now it will have to do until I can "home grow" a better solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts