Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of adding some matte black stripes to my TorRed 2010 SE. First of all, I can't decide on the style of the stripes as I don't want to make a mistake.

Second of all, my husband was at the dealer today getting some pinstriping work done on his Jeep Grand Cherokee (they have a man that comes in and does wonderful work) and he was talking to him about me wanting stripes. My husband told me that the man told him that painted stripes are best (won't fade like the applied ones) but the cost would be about $3,000.00. WAY more than I was expecting to spend!

I was planning talking with my body shop owner and if it was okay with him, ordering some from Rider Graphix (one of the supporting vendors). They would still be expensive but nothing near $3,000.00, even with the installation.

Anyone have experience with both painted and applied stripes? Any ideas on this?

Thanks, :) Genie

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here are some pictures of the stripes I had painted on my car. I like them much better than stickers. The best thing about stickers is you can always change them. Not so much with painted on stripes.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SubZero.......those look nice. Not so garrish but yet still bold. Great contrast and it goes with the lines of the car body. Great job!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Tape stripes are inexpensive and can be easily removed. Since you aren't sure which stripe you like best, a tape stripe makes for a low $, low risk solution. Worse case is you don't like the stripes and pull them back off, all you are out is the cost of the stripes.

Paint stripes are nicer but you won't get the $$$ back out of them when you trade the car. If a potential buyer doesn't like the stripes (even if you love the stripes) they can't just pull them off.

Unless you know exactly the stripes you love and plan to keep the car a long time, I would not spend the $3,000 on painted stripes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is it just me or does 3 grand seem like a lot of money for painted stripes??? :scratchhead:
I'll add another vote for vinyl stripes, if nothing else it allows you to decide 100% that you like the style and location.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd go with Vinyl if I were you. You said you don't know which ones you actually like. Vinyl is cheap and looks great especially in matte finish. If you don't like it...take them off, change them ...whatever. If you really like it and want to keep the car "forever"...then paint them...I thought the same as you and now I am thinking of changing the design a little. I wouldn't keep the vinyl on too long (>2yrs) if it spends alotof time outside...can change the color of the paint underneath...

I got mine from Rider...great guy and great product....

·
Registered
157 Posts
a Zeibart store were I got the clear shield for my car offered to paint the rally stripes for about $1800. I wouldn't do it though, I like the ace the way it is. Maybe I'll put a sticker stripes for while then get the car back to its oem condition. I haven't decided what color I want to go. Maybe Burgundy on black.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
$3000 is WAYYYY to much for painted stripes. I would shop around if you really want painted stripes. I'm sure you will find shops out there that would do them at a fraction of the cost.

Vinyl strips are fine and yes you can remove them if you don't like them, but they will fade and burn with time. :(

My 2011 R/T classic came with them, but once they go, I will have them painted just like the factory stripes.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Here are some pictures of the stripes I had painted on my car. I like them much better than stickers. The best thing about stickers is you can always change them. Not so much with painted on stripes.

SubzerO, that's the best looking car on this forum IMO. Just stunning.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having second thoughts...

I know it sounds crazy :notallthere: but I may forget about the idea of stripes altogether and just go with some pinstriping. I really LOVE the way my car looks and I'm not sure that bold stripes would be the thing for me to do.

I'm thinking about silver and royal blue pinstriping. At first I thought I might do white with the royal blue (for a red, white, and blue theme) but the white may be too outstanding and silver should give a similar effect, just more toned down. I chose the royal blue over navy because I think the navy may look more like black, especially from a distance.

Thank you for all your pictures and suggestions, just thought I'd keep you up to date! :) Genie

P.S. If you have time, please let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
You can buy pin stripe tape at your local automotive store and put it on yourself. A 1/4" x 25' roll is around $3 and a 1/8" x 36' roll is $5 at O'Reillys.

Pin stripes are EZ to put on, no need for a professional installer. The stripes are so cheap if you mess up on a segment, just pull them off and try again until you get the line you want. Of course, if you decide it looked better before, just pull them off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd go with Vinyl if I were you. You said you don't know which ones you actually like. Vinyl is cheap and looks great especially in matte finish. If you don't like it...take them off, change them ...whatever. If you really like it and want to keep the car "forever"...then paint them...I thought the same as you and now I am thinking of changing the design a little. I wouldn't keep the vinyl on too long (>2yrs) if it spends alotof time outside...can change the color of the paint underneath...

I got mine from Rider...great guy and great product....
I agree with Bobby, matt stripes look awesome on a gloss paint. Bobby, are those 22's or 20's? Looks nice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with Bobby, matt stripes look awesome on a gloss paint. Bobby, are those 22's or 20's? Looks nice.
Stock 20" SRT wheels.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I had the dealer install these. I insisted on the stripes as a part of the deal. They are Dodge decals and look correct.
Are you sure those are the dodge OEM stripes? Hate to call it out but they might have pulled a quick one on you, because the very tips of the Dodge stripes do not continue onto the front fascia like the rider graphix and other aftermarket stripes. Yours seems to have it.

As far as painted vs vinyl, if hes quoting you 3 grand don't even consider it. That seems absurdly high. I had all of my wheels, gas cap, tail lights and side markers prepped and painted for about 12-1500 (forget the exact price.) That takes a lot more detail work in prep too. I'd say find a reputable body/finish shop around you and then get a quote if you really wanted to go painted. If anything, vinyl is cheap enough. Pick up a set of vinyl stripes you would have had painted on. If after a year or so, you're still in love with them and want to get em painted do it. You wont be stuck regretting it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts