Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife really wants twin stripes outlined with a small pinstripe. We were looking for a black with a metallic and iridescent pearl. I preferred the stripes to be painted to eliminate an edge and fading. I went to a paint shop today for the estimate. He recommended 12” wide stripes in Lincoln Tuxedo Black. He wants to take the bumpers, hood, and trunk off of the car in order to clear everything to be super slick. I had my feelings hurt......he quoted $2900.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How good is wrap vinyl? I want the pinstripe outline but don’t want it to come off if I use a high pressure wash. I cannot stand the matte or satin type finish. It looks cheap and fades/water spots.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
My wife really wants twin stripes outlined with a small pinstripe. We were looking for a black with a metallic and iridescent pearl. I preferred the stripes to be painted to eliminate an edge and fading. I went to a paint shop today for the estimate. He recommended 12” wide stripes in Lincoln Tuxedo Black. He wants to take the bumpers, hood, and trunk off of the car in order to clear everything to be super slick. I had my feelings hurt......he quoted $2900.
You shouldn't have hurt feelings at all. It costs money to be different, and it sounds like he's doing it right.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,169 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would go with painted vs. any type of vinyl wrap! At the very least you can wash, wax and seal the car with one product vs. having to use different product for the vinyl. FYI, I had vinyl stripes on my 2013 RT Blacktop and never had any issues with the vinyl in the 3 years I had it. No spots or any other problems you just, as I mentioned have to care for it differently then the paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a paint guy too. However for the money, and my lack of ability to choose a color, I went with vinyl. I also added a pinstripe. I did it myself for under $200, so I figure I can change it in a few years when I inevitably get tired of it.

I power wash, car wash, etc no issues.

I do appreciate the clean look and feel of being under the clear.

To remove bumpers, clean/prep sand paint and clear all that $2900 is appropriate

You could also, have the stripes painted directly over the paint (clean/scuff) without removing the bumpers etc and re-clearing for under a grand Im sure. Would not be quiet as nice but also very appropriate since most including OEM are vinyl and have edges and not under clear

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have scheduled to drop off the car this Monday. Very nervous to have a new car disassembled but it should be “right”. The shop painted my dads ‘69 vette in a candy brandy wine years ago. Stripes should be spaced wider than factory vinyl. Probably be closer to a ‘69 Camaro setup. Wife wants it to change colors kinda like a “galaxy” black. Instead of Eleanor she is calling the car Helleanor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i paint professionally and people are always shocked when they get a quote.i learned how to paint due to the fact that i would never pay anyone to do the things i wanted.sounds like it will be done right.i personally did vinyl on my car cuz im too lazy to paint graphics on, it is a lot of work which is why it costs so much

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,786 Posts

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts