Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to repainting my wheel hubs. I had previously painted them satin black but after a while they looked like crap because of dirt and brake dust became embedded in the paint. It was impossible to clean. I went ahead and redid them but this time I went over them with a few layers of clear coat. I'm hoping that the clear coat will make them easier to clean. The clear definitely added a gloss to it but it looks good with my rims. While my wheels were off I washed and polished the rims and cleaned the wheel wells.

On an added note. I completely ****ed up my the entire paint correction I did this past week by painting my wheels. My third picture was my hard work in polishing, gloss, sealant & wax job. Now I got to redo the whole thing because there paint dust all over my car. I'm going to have to clay bar and probably ruin a polishing pad scrapping all the shit off. At least my wheels look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,370 Posts
Never heard of anyone polishing their wheels. I know they have a clear coat on them, and mine have what looks like stripes on them. The last owner must have done something. Wondering if maybe he sprayed something on them that caused the striping. Any ideas what might cause this? It's on all 4 wheels.
Anyway, do you think polishing might cure this? How did you go about polishing your wheels?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Mother's PowerCone and I used Meguiar's M9 Swirl Remover 2.0. Put some on the PowerCone and spread it on the cone with your hand. The cone isn't absorbent as regular DA pads so you need to spread it by hand or it will splatter as soon as you turn on. Wipe it down to remove any excess. Then go over it with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Maybe try coating your wheel hubs? Something like Sonax Polymer Net Shield?

A Guy
At the moment, I haven't done anything. Still wondering why the wheels are striped. Looks very much like maybe somebody sprayed a cleaner on them and it just drip-dried and left the streaks. But I do know it doesn't wash off when I wash the wheels. They appear to be clean and shiny, but still have the streaks. Gotta d-streak them before I do anything about waxing or coating.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts
At the moment, I haven't done anything. Still wondering why the wheels are striped. Looks very much like maybe somebody sprayed a cleaner on them and it just drip-dried and left the streaks. But I do know it doesn't wash off when I wash the wheels. They appear to be clean and shiny, but still have the streaks. Gotta d-streak them before I do anything about waxing or coating.
That was actually directed at Rexling and his newly painted hubs. For you, have you tried Sonax Full Effect? It will not harm, but would clean anything on the surface. If the wheels are "stained" so to speak, I'm not sure how you deal with that, perhaps with a water spot remover type product like https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover-500ml-16-oz/ ?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts