Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you've got a day at the strip ahead of you and you love your ride but you love smokin' the DR's too. As cool as the fried rubber looks on the rear quarters, you might eventually want to see paint in the general vicinity again...some day. Do you whip out the roll of tape or the can of Pam???

HemiSam

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
On my new car I plan on using some of the 3M clear bra stuff all along the bottom of the car, up at least 8" and then spray slippery stuff over it when the rubber starts to fly.

I asked in another thread if anyone has done this and I don't think many have. Not sure how good the clear stuff is on the bottom, but I will NOT put mudflaps on my car. My 09 had quite a few small rock chips behind the front and rear tires.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DO NOT use Pam. It doesn't keep the rubber from sticking and it dissolves it leaving you a black oily smear when you try to clean it up.

I tried Geddex burnout guard but that was hard to find, expensive, looked like antifreeze and didn't keep rubber from sticking completely

Use Lemon Pledge. That stuff is magic. Cheap, easy to apply, goes on clear, rubber won't stick and you can leave it on as long as you want and it stays effective and won't harm your paint. Also it washes right off with soap and water. Plus you don't look like a retard with blue tape all over your car :)

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys!

I had a good old boy come up to me (you have to appreciate this is TX and I can't do the gent justice...he was choc ful' o personality). Says, "son...why you putting that tape on....just use Pam". Then he proceeds to take a Crown Vic down the strip with DR's and long tubes....classic! He was a track hound. I'm sure he's been down that strip more times than I can count. Could have taught me a thing or three... Good stuff :)

Pledge I've got. I'll look into the other stuff.

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! I used that stuff on my drive to TN to hook up with Speedy and then to VA. It's good but a bit of a PITA to get off. Leaves some residue and if you're going a long way it can start to flap. Now take into consideration I went 1100+ miles, so it's not altogether fair to conclude it's not hearty. I just went an awful long way. Was a fair amount of work to wrap the nose, but for the quarter panel, no sweat. I wouldn't leave it on there very long though. I'd likely recommend the painter's tape first unless you're bothered by the blue or whatever color is available. I couldn't give a crap myself. Just looks like a two-tone...LMAO!

HemiSam

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hehe. Rubbel had beat me to it by a few secs :)

Anyone tried A303 Aerospace for the inside of the fenderwells ? That stuff will not hurt anything and it's slippery as KY/astroglide (take your pick) when you just put it on. I'm not too fond of using furniture or frying pan stuff on my car..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh! I used that stuff on my drive to TN to hook up with Speedy and then to VA. It's good but a bit of a PITA to get off. Leaves some residue and if you're going a long way it can start to flap. Now take into consideration I went 1100+ miles, so it's not altogether fair to conclude it's not hearty. I just went an awful long way. Was a fair amount of work to wrap the nose, but for the quarter panel, no sweat. I wouldn't leave it on there very long though. I'd likely recommend the painter's tape first unless you're bothered by the blue or whatever color is available. I couldn't give a crap myself. Just looks like a two-tone...LMAO!

HemiSam
Would be fine for one day at the track I'm sure. No need to be fancy with the air bubbles for that application either.

Was the residue sticky stuff ? I left it on for 10days but it stayed in the garage. It did leave a haze where there was air bubbles because of moisture or something like a car cover does. A little rubbing with spray-on wax and it was gone. I guess it could be different with lots of sun or rain.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CA - sticky residue. Just need a good product to cut through it w/o getting into the paint, and some elbow grease. The Pledge is just wax. It's used on some incredible furniture I picked up while on assignment in Asia Pacific...shouldn't be a big deal but I'll post up if I see different.

JW - good stuff. A buddy of mine is a pilot and owns one of the early 2009 R/T's. Turned me on to this stuff. I put it on the wife's ride. Does a nice job with the bugs and stuff. Not so sure about the molten rubber, but might be good.

RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

If you got an idea...throw it out here.

HemiSam

·
Registered
645 Posts
Blue painters tape. Peels off easy when you are done.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, DS. That's what I've used so far and it works fine. I'm curious about the Pledge though...

HemiSam

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks, DS. That's what I've used so far and it works fine. I'm curious about the Pledge though...

HemiSam
No prob....It should blend in good with your color! I admit it looks horrible on my red, but serves the purpose!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
use that carpet protection from lowes brother or 3 inch tape. comes in a roll sticks really good.. also Armour all wheel protect-ant works well too. rubber sticks but comes off without effort... wish i had used it in the inner fender wells..

·
Banned
333 Posts
Yeah...my wheel wells are RIDICULOUS. Wish I'd used something up in there as well.

HemiSam
After you scrape the wheel wells clean, spray em down with "Undercarriage Spray" from Griot's Garage. It gives them that "freshly detailed" look, and it's also slimy so the rubber does not tend to stick. What little bit does stick, can be easily wiped off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts