Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this mod has been on my radar as it's mostly a DIY project, and I have experience in rattle can painting. What I'm wondering is:

If you did this, did you finish up with clear coat?

Did you "cure" the paint by baking in the oven?

If I do this, it would be clean the calipers (and mounting bracket, and rotor hat) with a wire wheel, wire brush. Sand as smooth as possible, clean well and then High Temp primer, High Temp caliper paint, then usually I'd follow with high Temp Gloss clear

In reading some say the paint will cure just in use as the brakes heat cycle. I don't have dust to worry about while it cures if I do that.

I would remove the calipers so I can clean and paint the bracket and rotor hats easily , and thoroughly off the car, as well as being able to bake those. I don't plan to remove the calipers from the car necessitating bleeding, etc.

I know some use the brush on G2 paint, but I'm more comfortable with rattle can painting, and taking my time.

Any info on clear and/or curing, or not would be appreciated

A Guy

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I used the VHT rattle can on a friends R/T and I used POR brush on on my Scatpack when I owned it. The brush on was more work but when it was done it looked amazing. Maybe if I cleared the can VHT paint it might have looked nicer? The POR paint looked like powder coat after it dried and stayed that way until I got rid of the car.

Audio equipment Disc brake Auto part Subwoofer Circular saw
Tire Auto part Wheel Disc brake Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Spoke
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Spoke
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the POR, G2 brush on has the advantage of being one stage, and I know it's possible to get a nice finish with the brush...I'm just a perfectionist on finish :) I'm more familiar with achieving that with a can. I also suspect I'll do one corner at a time, so having a cup with paint and a brush, and wanting to continue the next day, perhaps 4 days in total, the spray would just be easier for me.

Any yes, with spray, clear will give more gloss and color depth generally. You get that with the brush on if done correctly I believe. I'm just concerned with the clear cracking/crazing over time due to the heat, even though it's high temp clear

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, which brand did you use?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that's what I had settled on

A Guy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another option, if you like the G2 epoxy paint, but don't want brush on, is to buy a Preval spray kit. The paint is thin enough to use in it. G2 sells it on their website, or you can pick it up at your local Home Depot for $5. I was contemplating spraying the vanes on my rotors. I have the R1 geomet rotors, but decided the hassle wasn't worth the result.
I literally just finished painting my rotor hats and edges with G2 now (with a brush). I just sat down for a break.
Plastic bottle

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
297 Posts
A Guy,
Personally the best thing to do in my opinion. Remove all four calipers and brackets remove the pucks and seals. Clean them really well then take them to a powder coating company and have them powder coated to your color of choice then reinstall new seals and the pucks then reinstall the brackets and calipers and I think you’ll be very happy and the powder coat lasts a very long time even if abused.
I did this about 15 years ago on my Impala SS. This is the rear calipers I did to match the front dual piston SSBC’s.
Alloy wheel Wheel Tire Rim Automotive tire

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Also used VHT caliper paint from Walmart. All I did as far as prep is soapy water and sand paper cuz I couldn't find my wire brush. 2 years later and it still looks great. 3 light coats and no clear coat.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Guy,
Personally the best thing to do in my opinion. Remove all four calipers and brackets remove the pucks and seals. Clean them really well then take them to a powder coating company and have them powder coated to your color of choice then reinstall new seals and the pucks then reinstall the brackets and calipers and I think you’ll be very happy and the powder coat lasts a very long time even if abused.
I did this about 15 years ago on my Impala SS. This is the rear calipers I did to match the front dual piston SSBC’s. View attachment 995280
Thanks, but no desire to do anything requiring bleeding, etc. (except if I cut myself :)), nor the expense of powder coating

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
470 Posts
How difficult of a process would you this is?

·
Premium Member
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T
56 Posts
Used the G2 paint system was easy.

Cleaned the whole assy good.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
37 Posts
You guys the paint the calipers, how do you keep the Brembo Logo? Is that a new sticker/decal

·
Premium Member
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T
56 Posts
Very easy hardest part is pulling each wheel. Clean very good and do 3 coats.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
37 Posts
New stickers. I can’t remember where I got mine. They were either Amazon but I think it was eBay
Thanks, I found them on Amazon

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
I found it odd that the Brembo literature just said to use 2 or 3 stage automotive paint, nothing about using high temperature paint.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
You guys the paint the calipers, how do you keep the Brembo Logo? Is that a new sticker/decal
When I used the G2 paint, it was so thick it went right over the Brembo logo, I couldn't see it after it dried. At that point, I couldn't even tell which direction the logo went! Then I bought new stickers on eBay, the high temp ones. Still looked great after 4 years.

Very easy hardest part is pulling each wheel. Clean very good and do 3 coats.
I spent more time jacking the car up, pulling the wheels. and taping everything off than I did doing the actual painting. I also re-painted my rotor hats, they were developing rust. Took 4 hours total.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.