Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously not the pad surface, but has anyone painted the center of the rotor with any success? How has it held up & any tips?
I went to widebody replica rims and the centers really show.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
That will work. The most important process is cleaning the caliper (wire brush and wipe with alcohol) and you should be good. I recommend 3-4 light coats and allow drying in between coats and 24 hours to fully cured. I painted mine and left it over night. It's been a few years and they still look great.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do the calipers or the center of the rotors? I don't want to paint the brembos. I wanted to do the center of the rotors.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you do the calipers or the center of the rotors? I don't want to paint the brembos. I wanted to do the center of the rotors.
You can do the rotor hats, but the same is required good prep work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Tape off the threads, too. I went with a grey paint.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,763 Posts
On another vehicle before doing a brake job, I used silver caliper paint. I did not mask any part of the rotor, even the wear areas. This was on new replacement rotors. I painted the vented edge to the center. I knew that the brake pads would burn off any paint very quickly and that would leave the rest perfectly untouched. Then I put the new pads on.
It ended up looking very nice and lasted a bit longer than I expected.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
650 Posts
When I painted the brake calipers red I also painted the rotor hats and hubs. Calipers and rotors were removed from the car. The rotor hats were cleaned with a wire wheel on a die grinder, brake surface and studs were masked, rotor hats were painted rattle can Rustoleum gloss black. 3.5 years later paint is still in very good condition with only a small amount of paint displaced where wheels contact rotor hats. Hubs were coated similarly.

Reactions: droptopron

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
I painted the vented edge to the center. I knew that the brake pads would burn off any paint very quickly and that would leave the rest perfectly untouched.
Even manufacturers do that sometimes so can't be a bad thing to do. I bought a set of EBC Slotted Rotors for my Avenger and they were painted black all around, braking surface and all (except the slotted parts, which made them look pretty dam cool when I unboxed them). Didn't take too long for that black paint to rub off the pad surface.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
EBC Rotors are coated with "Thermic black” coating. Anti rust, and after 10-20 stops, the pad area is not black. I'd wonder if paint wouldn't clog the pads though. This is a mod I have been considering...

A guy

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
EBC Rotors are coated with "Thermic black” coating. Anti rust, and after 10-20 stops, the pad area is not black. I'd wonder if paint wouldn't clog the pads though. This is a mod I have been considering...

A guy
I can't speak for Challenger rotors, but on my Avenger, I put these coated EBC ones on a couple years ago and have never had any problems with these brakes and they've performed awesome for me, and I drive pretty hard and brake harder. This was less than a year after I put Powerstop rotors on which were horrible and why I'm hesitant to try anything Powerstop again even though so many people like them here. I did originally wonder the same thing about the coating though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
It's not the coating I'd worry about, they are designed that way, it was the ones where the pad area wasn't masked before painting ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
336 Posts
I always like the black rotor behind the wheel. It looks good.
The first pic in this thread,by JavierA. It clearly show the jack points, on the Challenger, where he has his jack stands positioned. (y) Excellent illustration.
thanks
parrott

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
265 Posts
if you get paint on the rotor surface it wont hurt the pads. I did mine about 4 years ago and they looked and worked great up until i removed them recently. I plan on painting my powerstop rotors i recently installed as well. make sure and paint the vented areas as well they will look much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cross drilled slotted rotors and carbon ceramic brakes are pretty cheap on ebay. That is another project i have to handle.I bought the car wth brand new brakes on it. Someone didn't cheap out by putting mettalic pads on it. Metallic pads are a headache.IMO.you know what the salesman said to sell me my challenger? i asked if theres anything wrong with it. He said nope. I said ill take it. So it has some minor glitches.I used mercedes anifreeze in it. Its a benz right>? lol.no problems. Just using the wrong coolant can kill your dodge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
New 2019 challenger owner looking for help or info on powerstop z26 red caliper, brake,and rotor set. Anyone have them on their challenger? Will there be fitting issues with 20x8 stock rims? Just overall info on the z26 powerstop set

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts
I don't get it. Why would you want to paint the center of the rotors? You can't see them.
I must be missing something.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
The rotor hats show

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts
Hmm, can't say that's something I've ever thought of doing or had anybody say they have done. Another first I've learned in here lol.

Reactions: DakBuilder
1 - 20 of 20 Posts