Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ballpark idea on how much it would cost to paint the front Bumper on my Black SXT ? I need to replace the grill as it was cracked in a small fender bender, bumper is good just needs to be repainted.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
If you want to take the car somewhere and drop it off, then pick it up a day or two later with the newly painted bumper, I’m gonna ballpark it at $500. Most likely it will be less than $500, but if you don’t have $500 to spend on it, you should get lots of estimates and shop around to find the best deal.

If you are willing to do some of the work yourself, you can save a considerable amount of money for this. The majority of a body sh’s cot to the customer will be from prep work, body work, sanding, etc. In other words, the paint that’s sprayed is a relatively small cost overall despite it being the most important thing to the customer.

If you remove that bumper, sand it, prime it, and then drop it off to be painted, you can expect to pay a much smaller bill when you go go pick it up.

$150, $200, IDK what the final price to spray the paint plus the paint itself will be, but I know it should be around a third of what the total bill would be to have them do all the work.

The smart approach would be to take the car to get some estimates from various body shops, and ask them to give you a paint-only estimate that excludes the labor to sand/prime the panel and tape off the car. (This would be in addition to the regular estimate they would give you that includes the labor and parts involved to do the complete job from start to finish.)

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
Good to know. I am thinking of buying a new bumper that is pre primed because 3 clips on the old bumper are busted.
If you are willing to do the install yourself, buying the pre-primed bumper and taking somewhere to be painted would be the most economical route to take. A couple hundred bucks should take care of that no problem.

But you’ll want to get an official estimate before adjusting your weekly budget. I’m merely guessing based on previous experiences, which are admittedly a little dated to begin with.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,908 Posts
In my experience (and having done this many times) the biggest concern for me was never the cost but rather the paint actually matching!! Believe it or not, out of 7 different bumpers I had repainted by different shops, only 1 ever really matched. Apparently, because the bumper is plastic and the body is not, it's quite difficult to find the exact formula to match the body to the bumper. Also the way the paint dries or the electric static charge, the bumper has on it, will effect pearls and metal flake quite a bit. What ever shop you use, they will need the car and they should take their time to get it right. You can only paint that bumper so many times as well, without stripping it all the way down. Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts