Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Painting the hood liner is absolutely no problem at all!
Just be sure to spray with a degreaser like Simple Green, let it set a few minutes, and then spray off well, and let dry.

I used acrylic hobby paints with and air brush.
Then I top-coated with flat clear.
\The material is sooo porous, that the paint surrounds the fibers on the surface.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,887 Posts
Just be sure to spray with a degreaser like Simple Green, let it set a few minutes, and then spray off well, and let dry.

\The material is sooo porous, that the paint surrounds the fibers on the surface.

So American.

Looking at this caused my guns to go off and a burger magically appeared in my hand.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Looks great with your car's colors!

As far as the material, yes that's my concerned - it is very porous. But your's came out well.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
485 Posts
I wonder how it will hold up to heat and aging? I would love to add color to the embossed SRT in the middle of my liner.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Matter of Fact...
I just pulled my hood insulator from the GWE SRT8 today!

I'm going to paint with the same method that I did the U.S. flag.
Replaced the pop retainers that I broke taking them off; and painted those already.
Now....for an idea....and some DIY creativity!
:wiggle:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just a suggestion, haven't painted one, but on porous material sometimes it's better to seal it with primer or clear coat first, then paint it the way you want it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I got this far today in my spare time from yard work.
The center dusting of black was the last thing, as I needed a darker background area for the graphic that I will paint on.
Oh! And, that's about 4 coats of the "near" body color, and still "sucking" paint!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
9,068 Posts
I remember a while ago someone said that would paint hood liners and had some sweet samples. I was just curious if that person was still around and what something like this would cost on a 2015? Since my car is redline red maybe some of the brighter shades could be that color. Dang file would not attach

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Just a suggestion, haven't painted one, but on porous material sometimes it's better to seal it with primer or clear coat first, then paint it the way you want it.
Actually I didn't answer you correctly completely....old age inattention!
That liner will soak up a lot of paint.
Yes, a sealer/primer first is a good idea!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
9,068 Posts
There was someone on here that did a Mopar logo on a skull and posted pics about a year ago, If I remember correctly he said something like he would paint anything, for a price or something.

I know a guy actually his name is "Guy" who hand letters and pinstripes, he did a "Predator" on a Camaro funny car, and did the "345 Hemi" on my hood but he uses brushes not air brushes. Might be too much on the insulation to brush.

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Forum member rajunz painted a hood liner for me last fall.

The new liner plus shipping cost me $450. He included the new clips for mounting the new hood liner too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Forum member rajunz painted a hood liner for me last fall.

The new liner plus shipping cost me $450. He included the new clips for mounting the new hood liner too.
Do you have his contact info ? ,, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Do you have his contact info ? ,, thanks
My only communication with him was through PM's here. Just give him a shout if you are interested. His name is Lance. He seems to be a really straight up kind of guy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts