Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got the Hemi orange color matching bezels, I was thinking of getting the steering wheel inserts done as well. Has anyone done this (in orange preferably) and have a picture? Also, is it hard to remove them or do they just pop out and I can disconnect the steering wheel buttons?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Disconnect the battery first and let it sit a few minutes before unbolting the airbag.

When I painted mine, I was a bit nervous about breaking the wiring clip to the airbag, so after unbolting the airbag, I just let it hang there. Might be able to get the inserts out without unhooking the airbag, but the two side ones slip under the bag, so it makes it a lot easier to do if you just unbolt the bag. Besides, the wire clips to the controls on the insert are short and you need room to unhook those easily.

Have a variety of small star screw bits on hand before taking the inserts off. Once you take the 10mm bolts (one on each side to undo the airbag) and the small star screws (one on each side to undo the inserts) there are 3 or 4 smaller star screws holding the control pods in the insert. The bottom insert is easy, you can feel the star screws behind it.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
what yr is your car.. the old style inserts 2010 - 2008 are different and the approach to take them out is different

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
the 09/10 pop right out from the outside edge. just use a plastic pry tool to pop them out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
what yr is your car.. the old style inserts 2010 - 2008 are different and the approach to take them out is different
Mine is a 2012. The earlier 2008-2010 inserts are much easier. Like the previous post, they just pry out and pop back in without having to unhook anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, sorry guys. It's a 2009. So they just pop out then? Even the ones with the buttons?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts