Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I could paint the inner area of the brake rotor? The ugly grey part that isn't part of the braking surface of course. I have the SRT Alcoas on an R/T, and there seems to be a lot of ugly grey from the rotors on show

Has anyone done this? Got any photos? Am I nuts?

Not about to paint the wheel itself, but just want a little more colour around there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sure you can... I painted mine black with some high temp paint.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure you can... I painted mine black with some high temp paint.
I'm thinking of going with red, there is already plenty of black on the car.

I was hoping someone had painted a brighter colour and had a photo how it looked with a wheel on. A quick google search gives me plenty of examples of the center area painted, but of course the photos people take are with the wheel off, so you can see their work in all its glory.

I should just go for it. If it looks stupid I could always paint them black to cover up the red. Not the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I painted mine with "Cast Iron Grey" when I got the car in 09 to hide the rust and they still look perfect - the car is garaged. I did not want anything flashy but I didn't like the rust look either.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They do make engine and brake caliper paint in a rattle can. It's easy to find, I bought some at wal-mart like 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I did the Challenger with high temp paint. They look soooo much better. Gonna do the 300 soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

Rustoleum 1000° BBQ Black. The silver is anti-seize compound.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys.

What do you use to mask the center area from the braking area when painting? 1/8" painters/artists tape, or 1/4" tape? Or something else?

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I just used a cloth and careful aim :)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

What do you use to mask the center area from the braking area when painting? 1/8" painters/artists tape, or 1/4" tape? Or something else?
I took the rotors off and masked them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
We're you guys with the SRTs able to get the job done with the brembo calipers in place? Or did you have to remove them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
We're you guys with the SRTs able to get the job done with the brembo calipers in place? Or did you have to remove them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I removed my rotors because I did not want take a chance of overspray on my calipers or anywhere else. It was really easy to pop them off. Took me about 3 hours to do everything from start to finish.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I did mine with the rotors on. I used a rag to cover the caliper and parts of the rotor I didn't want to paint, I did have to rotate the rotors as I painted them. I got very little
over spray on the faces of the rotors which I easily cleaned off with denatured alcohol
on a rag.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I also painted mine with G2 two-part epoxy paint! Great stuff!

...but I'd make sure to keep the paint off the mating surface (where your rim meets the rotor)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used black rust oleum with a 1" brush, if you get some on the rotors it will be gone by the time you back out of the garage. Its lasted a year so far and keeps the rust at bay

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I painted mine, as well as the edges of the rotors. Use this stuff, it's amazing, dries like plastic, and always just hoses off to a high gloss. Also, it brushes on, so it's really easy to apply.

Brake G2 Caliper Paint Epoxy 2 Part Kit 11 Colors | eBay

Looks good. I used that paint on my calipers, it really is good stuff. But for finite life rotors I'll probably try the spray route. Unless of course I find the paints are two very different reds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts