Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to paint the front R/T badge Mopar Blue? I think it's made of plastic? I could tape it off til nothing but the red shows but I don't know what or how to paint it.

My Mopar has all Blue accents and the Red R/T looked out of place on the grill so I want to paint it blue.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to paint the front R/T badge Mopar Blue? I think it's made of plastic? I could tape it off til nothing but the red shows but I don't know what or how to paint it.

My Mopar has all Blue accents and the Red R/T looked out of place on the grill so I want to paint it blue.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you..
If it were me, i would find a blue touchup paint bottle that matches your accents, or a testor's enamel model paint that matches. I would lead towards Testors just because you are painting on plastic, and a blue gloss that matches should be pretty easy to find. Pick up a good detail paint brush (tapered fine tip). Remove the R/T from your grill, bring it in the house, tape off the chrome, and paint over the red. I don't think you'll have any adhesion problems, and frankly there's no easy way to scuff what's there without damaging the chrome edging.
I've done a lot of detail painting in my day, a steady hand and patience goes a long way.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can remove the R/T emblem. Obviously that will make masking and painting much easier. The Testor's idea sounds pretty good - especially since this is such a small item you want to paint. I had a really small chip on my painted brake calipers - used Testors (their red is a perfect match) to touch it up, put a gloss clear over it when dry (also Testors) - can't tell I ever had that chip after over a month (3 + washes, rain, daily driving, etc).

For masking, go down to a hobby shop that sells plastic models. Buy some modeler's masking tape (Tamaya makes it - or just ask one of the store employees). Stuff is real thin and burnishes down really well to avoid bleed over. Works a lot better on small detail jobs than painter's tape.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am putting a red R/T Fender Badge on my Hemi Orange Challenger. It is the factory color, but blue is technically the opposite of orange and would stand out better. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I painted the red part of my R/T badge body color using spray touch-up paint. Take your time masking it. Those little hobby razor knifes and tweezers are great for getting in there and trimming the tape so only the red is exposed.

You should sand/scuff it for good adhesion prior to painting using a small file or sandpaper wrapped around a small screwdriver tip. It's on the front of the car and will be exposed to plenty of bugs, small rocks, rain, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I attempted to do the srt on mine.. was a disaster.. to tight of corners.. you can by a decal over lay on flea bay cheap and in different colors.

that is the route I would go

chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
i just scrapped off the red paint with a tiny flat screw driver...it turned it to chrome.

then all i did was get the touch up paint spray can..sprayed into the cap...then dripped the paint into the letters with a few drops..then got a toothpick and spread the paint...which the letters have like barriers around it..like a bowl.. then let it dry and boom! done!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Maskol

I painted mine with color match spray from Dodge, PCP but masked it with a product from the hobby shop that I have used in the n-scale railroad modeling called "Maskol" it is a paint-on rubberized masking that dries into a peel able surface/mask that peels off like Plasti-dip, $4 and so much easier than masking those tiny parts. Then after painting a heavy coat of clear Lacquer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts