Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dents that are on the body line on the front driverside quarter panel. I have an R/T and its right on the lettering. the PDR guy said he could fix the dents, but it might mess up the lettering. Anybody heard of this before or ran into this problem? How am I going to take off the old lettering and put new ones on? Is it hard to do?

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I think the lettering is adhesive? Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Just be careful to warm it up and use some goo gone (that's what I use personally, or WD-40) as you don't wanna pull any paint off! If it's like 90-95 degrees you don't need to heat it up though, just let it sit in the sun.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have 2 dents that are on the body line on the front driverside quarter panel. I have an R/T and its right on the lettering. the PDR guy said he could fix the dents, but it might mess up the lettering. Anybody heard of this before or ran into this problem? How am I going to take off the old lettering and put new ones on? Is it hard to do?
Hey 2010 R/T, let us know how your paint-less dent removal goes. I, too, have two "presents" in the body line of my passenger's side front quarter panel and would like to know if paint-less dent removal is the way to go.

thanx.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've had three dents removed with PDR with outstanding results. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
PDR done correctly and you can NOT tell where the dents were. Even on the body seams. If you know a body shop guy or the service mgr. at a dealership ask who they use. Cars getting a dent during shipping is quite common and dealers use these guys prior to prepping the car for sale.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had a spot fixed on my dirver side fender in front of the tire on the body line and all, and it had a crack on there too and you can tell at all. The guys pretty good and great on price, works out of Macon/Warner Robins if your not too far from there.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I've used PDR a few times in my life. All with good results. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. In regards to the letters, if stickers heat up with a hair dryer and slowly peel off. Clean up any left over goo with rubbing alcohol. If you've never done it, Google it.

If it's more like raised lettering blocks, a different procedure may be required. Some of those are adhesive based, while others clip into a hole in the car.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I recommend warming up the panel by parking in a heated garage overnight and then bring up the temp a little further with a heat gun before the PDR guy goes to work. The stripes might just be pliable enough with the heat that they won't crack when he is working the metal.

The good PDR guys don't break the paint, why would the stripe be ruined?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
just had a PDR guy come out yesterday to work on a fresh ding on the passenger side body line. ran out of daylight and he said he'd come back and finish the job next week, he got about half of the ding out already but he says he can get the rest out and i trust him, he's done PDR on a couple of my cars in the past and always done a great job.

I doubt someone working the panel out from the backside is going to ruin any letters, especially if they are tape lettering, an emblem could just be removed and put back on afterwards. they usually gently apply pressure to the areas surrounding the ding using a metal rod to stretch the metal back into the original shape.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yea, i love the way the challengers look. but dang it boy" those side body lines are right at the door ding level. if any car ever parks next to you and they open their door to far you just got a ding/dent. right on the body line. the hicks that park next to dont care about your car. i just paid $500 the have a huge dent taken out and repainted on my r/rear quarter panal from a parking spot at a hospitol. i then went straight to my insurance company and lowered my deductable to $100.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How much does everyone usually pay for a small ding? I have one that's about half dime sized and most places I'm finding are around $75 up to four or five small dents. Just having the one, I'd like to spend less. Of course, if it costs that much to get it done right, I'd prefer it be done right.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm on board too. I got rear ended in Jan and had them do a paintless dent removal and it came out great!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
dings are usually around 75 bucks each to fix, sometimes less if there are a couple on same panel, but i have a guy that comes to my location to do work, so expect to pay a little more for convenience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts