Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, i was on...a very fast highway, in excess of a 100 mph possibly....and i had to slow down so i gave the brakes a good press, maybe only halfway down and it locked the front tires. I just installed 6 pistons so maybe i wasn’t used to how my new brakes hold, but ill tell you it stuck and i skid few feet with the tires screeching.

That was Saturday morning, and since then when i get up to 35-40 there is a loud humming/vibrating noise coming from what sounds like my dash. My best guess is i flat spotted the tires? Either that or some driveline noise. It reacts to vehicle speed so i can hear it slow down when i come to a stop, but it sounds like its vibrating/rotating faster than my tires which makes me think something with the driveshaft is up...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
So as the title says, i was on...a very fast highway, in excess of a 100 mph possibly....and i had to slow down so i gave the brakes a good press, maybe only halfway down and it locked the front tires. I just installed 6 pistons so maybe i wasn’t used to how my new brakes hold, but ill tell you it stuck and i skid few feet with the tires screeching.

That was Saturday morning, and since then when i get up to 35-40 there is a loud humming/vibrating noise coming from what sounds like my dash. My best guess is i flat spotted the tires? Either that or some driveline noise. It reacts to vehicle speed so i can hear it slow down when i come to a stop, but it sounds like its vibrating/rotating faster than my tires which makes me think something with the driveshaft is up...

Thoughts?
Hard to believe a few feet of skidding would flat spot the tires. More likely something's amiss with the brakes.

6 piston calipers can manifest a huge amount of braking force. One has to wonder what if any affect this can have on the other components that are maybe not designed to handle these forces?

Another concern is if this braking incident occurred before you bedded in the new pads and possibly rotors the hard braking followed by brake lock up could have resulted in uneven pad material transfer from the hot pads to the hot rotor surfaces.

I think you need to carefully check over the brakes to ensure everything is ok.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to believe a few feet of skidding would flat spot the tires. More likely something's amiss with the brakes.

6 piston calipers can manifest a huge amount of braking force. One has to wonder what if any affect this can have on the other components that are maybe not designed to handle these forces?

Another concern is if this braking incident occurred before you bedded in the new pads and possibly rotors the hard braking followed by brake lock up could have resulted in uneven pad material transfer from the hot pads to the hot rotor surfaces.

I think you need to carefully check over the brakes to ensure everything is ok.
Sounds like a plan, brakes were definitely properly bedded 2 months ago. Looks like im pulling the front apart this weekend

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lift the car, put it in drive and see if you can replicate the noise sitting still. Preferably someone else on the throttle so you can listen to everything.

Possible that you irritated the driveshaft in some way but I honestly cannot imagine that being the issue as they are pretty robust.
You sure it’s not a case of paranoia (not trying to be a dick)? I know when I have something like this happen I start hearing all sorts of “new” noises and feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lift the car, put it in drive and see if you can replicate the noise sitting still. Preferably someone else on the throttle so you can listen to everything.

Possible that you irritated the driveshaft in some way but I honestly cannot imagine that being the issue as they are pretty robust.
You sure it’s not a case of paranoia (not trying to be a dick)? I know when I have something like this happen I start hearing all sorts of “new” noises and feelings.

I wish it was paranoia, multiple people say they hear it....and thats over the exhaust, heim joints, and usual rattles and creaks. I know if i take it to a shop theyre going to run me in circles because is all modified so im just going to run these tests.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts

Thoughts?
The rotors may not be releasing like they should and still holding pressure also the rotors could be slightly warped. Check for glazing and see if you can freely spin the front tires (after you jack it up of course ;) ) also see if you happen to notice any vibration when you hit the brakes.. Sometimes with warped rotors you only notice the vibration at certain speeds.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rotors may not be releasing like they should and still holding pressure also the rotors could be slightly warped. Check for glazing and see if you can freely spin the front tires (after you jack it up of course ;) ) also see if you happen to notice any vibration when you hit the brakes.. Sometimes with warped rotors you only notice the vibration at certain speeds.
I put the brakes through some torture last night and they feel 100% but again, this weekend ill have a good look at her. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I put the brakes through some torture last night and they feel 100% but again, this weekend ill have a good look at her. Thanks for the advice
I see I said rotors not releasing, I meant calipers.. lol.. I think you got what I meant... I hope you get figured out!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

UPDATE:

Driveshaft carrier bearing definitely shot idc if this is the cause (pretty sure) but now it’s getting changed. Im guessing that hard braking was the final straw before this guy separated after years of me learning to drive stick on this car haha

Anyone know if there is a better bushing i can use here , or is my only route a 1 piece shaft? Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
They make two piece built driveshafts if you would rather that than a one piece. Dss and gforce.

·
Registered
849 Posts
To put it simply, 2 piece is more street oriented as it will not transfer as much noise into the car and you shouldn’t have to check driveshaft angle.
1 piece is more responsive and drag oriented. You may have to alter driveshaft angle. Both built for same power.
I have had the 1 piece dss aluminum in my street/strip Challenger for 3 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts