Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i recently got a 2009 R/T with a little over 60k miles on it. i may be just being overly worrisome, but it seems when i get home from work after driving for a while on the highway, the engine has a smell too it. Like a "hot" smell if that makes sense. It's not like full on burning oil smell, or anything in particular. Its more like a combination of everything (and may be just the stuff they used to detail the engine burning off), it really just smells like an old muscle car would smell. and while i appreciate the nostalgia, i dont expect a newer car to smell at all. I realize its a hemi and a big engine, but has anyone else experienced this?

I did see a tiny bit of liquid overspray on the shroud area,, but i couldnt tell if maybe it was just water, its been snowing a lot here, it didnt seem to have any smell... and it was cold out so i didnt investigate very well. BUT, it was nearby the power steering, so i opened it up and BAAM! it was under a crazy amount of pressure.. that cant be normal right? ive never had that happen before, is it possible at all that something is going on there and pushing out power steering fluid?

or am i just freaking out for no reason? i checked the dealers service records on the car and they all looked good and thorough... thaks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would guess this is the "scorched" smell that my '03 Ram, '08 Charger R/T had, and my Challenger have after being driven hard. Obviously, I have no way of knowing if that is what you are talking about, but I think that's what it is. I had it on my '86 Camaro too. I think it's road "junk" that gets deposited on the converters and exhaust pipes near the engine, and when you get on it, or drive it for a while, it gets hot and "cooks". Last time I really noticed it was one day I had pulled the fuse to reset the adaptives and I was having fun driving the hell out of it, and when I pulled into my garage, it reeked pretty badly. I've smelled the same smell for over 25 years and I'm so used to it, I don't notice it all that much, at least most of the time.

Last time I checked the power steering was a month or so ago when I checked my oil, and it was like checking the PS on any car I've ever owned, no pressure at all. I would watch it, but I never heard more than a little hiss and pop when I opened the PS to check the fluid. Maybe it's contaminated?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. Im hoping it is just what you are saying. I don't really mind it, just being cautious I guess. As far as the power steering, that is a little troubling because mine seems to be under a TON of pressure. However, a giant rock flew up and put a huge dent in my hood yesterday, so while its in the shop I can have them look at that LOL

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, hopefully it's no big deal. Sorry about your hood, I'm going over Monday to get an estimate on my right rear quarter from sideswiping a neighbor's car Thursday morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts