Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have a 2010 SRT8 manual 6spd and I’m having some issues with the parking brake... when I set it, it has tension as if it was to be working but doesn’t catch at all. Lately I’ve been parking the car in 1st so it doesn’t roll (sometimes chocks) but along with the parking brake not working my traction control isn’t either??? I’ve read that they are related to each other but I cannot tell the problem. Any advice? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Hi I have a 2010 SRT8 manual 6spd and I’m having some issues with the parking brake... when I set it, it has tension as if it was to be working but doesn’t catch at all. Lately I’ve been parking the car in 1st so it doesn’t roll (sometimes chocks) but along with the parking brake not working my traction control isn’t either??? I’ve read that they are related to each other but I cannot tell the problem. Any advice? Much appreciated.
sounds like you need an adjustment. The PB is mechanical failsafe that is separate from the hydraulics.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
sounds like you need an adjustment. The PB is mechanical failsafe that is separate from the hydraulics.

View attachment 845081
So I just did the passenger side of my car and the stupid rubber plug fell in between the hub and brake shield. After 15 minutes of trying to get it out I finally took off the wheel, caliper rotor. Glad I did as there was a teaspoon of fine brake dust and rust in the drum. Washed it out with brake cleaner and turned the adjustment bolt 10 turns (clockwise - same for driver and passenger side) and now the parking brake holds (would not hold when I tried taking off the lugs but now holds strong as I was able to torque the lugs after cleaning/adjusting). Oh and I managed to fish out the rubber plug (used compressed air to blow it up and out). Going back out to do the driver side but figure I would give you a heads up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You "washed it out with brake fluid" ??? Really? You DO realize that brake fluid goes INTO the Master cylinder, right??? Maybe you meant that you sprayed it with aerosol brake cleaner ??

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I always park in first. No need for the parking break. Not that you shouldn't get it fixed. Don't chock the wheel.
If on a hill turn the wheel so the car would go into the curb. But truly parking in gear does the trick. Wouldn't trust a parking brake. Seen tooooo many fail. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
You "washed it out with brake fluid" ??? Really? You DO realize that brake fluid goes INTO the Master cylinder, right??? Maybe you meant that you sprayed it with aerosol brake cleaner ??
Obviously otherwise the brake would not hold...fixed the typo. It's not like I was looking through the wrong lens of a camera. :wink3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to do this. My PB barely holds, so I park in gear. The very few times I have needed to park with the front end going down hill, no curb, the PB and car in reverse will not hold it.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Always park in first gear. ALWAYS. It is an emergency brake. Not made to work like that. IN GEAR......1st. It will hold.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
True, always use the lowest gear possible to park, either First or Reverse and Always use the parking brake unless storing your car, then leave the brake off and chock the wheels. We had someone on here not long ago parked his M6 in Sixth with the brake off and the car rolled down the driveway and was damaged.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
True, always use the lowest gear possible to park, either First or Reverse and Always use the parking brake unless storing your car, then leave the brake off and chock the wheels. We had someone on here not long ago parked his M6 in Sixth with the brake off and the car rolled down the driveway and was damaged.

Humor me, park in 1st no "parking brakes" and see if you can push it. I have been around since most cars were manual, nobody ever chocked their wheels. ESPECIALLY on flat ground. Thanks.
Sorry but this just seems SOOOOO ridiculous. Especially with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've heard sometimes the oem linings delaminate from the shoes, that can be an issue for sure...I did the same thing with the rubber plug but used a 90 angle pick to flick it out, and no luck finding the star wheel teeth, even tried a mirror, NOPE...it's a bear on the ground I couldn't seem to twist into the right position to see in there, and that tiny window is buried in there..horrible location for it..thanks dodge any suggestions guys? thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Humor me, park in 1st no "parking brakes" and see if you can push it. I have been around since most cars were manual, nobody ever chocked their wheels. ESPECIALLY on flat ground. Thanks.
Sorry but this just seems SOOOOO ridiculous. Especially with a 6 speed.
Sure it will hold on level ground, it's just a safety backup. We've got a parking brake so I just always used it, just part of the routine in case you accidentally walk away from the car in neutral, it's happened before.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Yup, if you don't use the PB, the cables tend to rust an lock-up. I am not a big fan of how Dodge oriented the shoes (top and bottom instead of front and rear like most drum brakes set-ups). When I pulled the rotor/drum there was a significant amount of dust/rust in the drum that collected at the bottom. It has no where to go as a ridge forms in the drum preventing the crud from escaping. So when you hit the PB pedal the bottom shoe liner hits the dust and does not make intimate contact with the drum wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts