Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that it is bad to park your car in a garage in the winter time if it has salt on it. It said that keeping it outside below freezing helps keep the salt in suspension so it won't do any damage to your car. Is there anything to this?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Well sorta, Salt takes moisture to do damage freezing temps = no moisture. You really need to try and wash all that off.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Driving your car on salted roads... damage your car, as far as storing it in the garage to slow it down or eliminate it? Sounds like a crock to me, what do you think happens when you park in the sun at work or the mall or anywhere when the temps go above freezing?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I don't buy that idea at all.

When I park in garage, the ice and snow melts off and the car dries quickly. Yes the salt residue remains but without water the only damage it does is if you scratch the paint by brushing up against it.

Sure it is best to wash it off immediately or never drive in winter but that is not life.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cars are better designed then years ago but at the same time when you drive in the salt slush and then park your car which is now wet in an enclosed structure for what 12 to 14 hours a day it seems likely that it may rust.
When outside the air is circulating under and around your vehcle drying it up taking away the salts ability.
Maybe try a experiment a put a piece of metal suspended in a jar with rock salt and water 12 hours a day and see what happens...lol
i take my car out at least once a week when the roads are bare and go for a one hour drive but then again i have the luxury of using another vehicle.
i did undercoat my car to protect the brake lines etc...just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Staybil in the gas tank too, start it once a month let the fans cycle etc till it is warm.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
OP a car parked in a garage just at freezing or a little above with road salt and slush is more likely to develop rust than one kept out of doors below freezing. As stated above air circulation around and under the car helping dry things out is key. Freezing or below temps help keep the chemical reaction of salt, water and metal in suspension. When possible I try to run mine through a touchless car wash with an under body spray. Then drive it home and let it sit outside to air dry before putting it in the garage.

To help prevent rust I'd highly recommend a rust treatment and undercoating. $400-$450 is a good investment to help stave off the effects of winter driving.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OP a car parked in a garage just at freezing or a little above with road salt and slush is more likely to develop rust than one kept out of doors below freezing. As stated above air circulation around and under the car helping dry things out is key. Freezing or below temps help keep the chemical reaction of salt, water and metal in suspension. When possible I try to run mine through a touchless car wash with an under body spray. Then drive it home and let it sit outside to air dry before putting it in the garage.

To help prevent rust I'd highly recommend a rust treatment and undercoating. $400-$450 is a good investment to help stave off the effects of winter driving.
I run mine through an undercarriage wash once a week. I try to do it whenever the salt on the road is dry. Should I be leaving my car out? Would it be best just to leave it outside when it has slush on it then just park it after its washed and dried?

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the whole Global Warming thing would just take off then you wouldn't have to worry about road salt. Where's Al Gore when you need him? Lord knows we're all doing our part by driving Challenger's...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I run mine through an undercarriage wash once a week. I try to do it whenever the salt on the road is dry. Should I be leaving my car out? Would it be best just to leave it outside when it has slush on it then just park it after its washed and dried?

If you are getting an under carriage wash once a week I think you're probably good. Modern metal treatment and body design are much better than back in the 60's and 70's.

If temps permit run it through the car wash on your way to work. That way it gets a chance to sit out all day and dry.

I'd still recommend additional rust preventative measures for the long term. I had my last Challenger 17 years, daily driven, and I know right now I will most definitely have this one longer than that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you ever noticed. Spring when temp's rise and humidity comes into effect is when most corrosion occurs. Metal as it warms expands and so does it pores. Take a steel rod dip it in water and throw it outside right now. Look at it a month later during the winter and it will look the same. Come back once the temps go up and look again. Spray some WD-40 on your metal parts. Cant hurt. AKA "WATER DISPLACEMENT 40"....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just from my own experience, my parents who have always kept there cars in the garage have replaced there cars due to rust in winter, while my 98 s-10 which usually are prone to rusting out, is perfect. I get it oiled every year and keep it outside. Also it is not good to part a moist salty car in you garage next to a car you a storing. Everything that's open to the elements like the rotors and thin paint areas will rust in no time. Its better to keep your salty car in the driveways and clean it off before work in the AM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts