Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the s/c will be here some time today. So I decided to start on it earlier by removing everything up to taking the intake off. I thought it would be easy and so I started on removing the front facia. Well 2 hours later and it's off. lol NO lie, that thing was a pain in the butt. I didn't take any pics or video, since it is straight forward. It's just getting access to some of the bolts and nuts. I did video where the highest nut is on the facia and luckily they were just hand tightened. But one bolt (on each side) has a piece of hard plastic covering about 1/6th of the bolt, so getting a socket on the bolt was fun-not really. When I go to install I'm going to cut a notch in the hard plastic-which does NOTHING-so I can tighten the bolt easily.

Then getting access to the support brackets attaching the intake to the block was tricky too. I bought an assortment of fasteners and I'm glad I did, I've broken quite a few.

Oh that reminds me.. who's damn brilliant idea was it to use rivet fasteners on the fender splash guard. I broke every single one. I first had to pry it out a little so I could use my cutters and cut the thing in half. I marred up my drivers side fender corner a little, that pisses me off.

So I started around 1545 and finished around 2100 hrs. And I just changed my pcm -which again- was in the tightest place ever. But I'm going to bed soon.

Tomorrows plan, is to drain the coolant.

If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer them. On wednesday I will finish removing the intake and replacing the injectors and then install begins. So part two will be that night-hopefully. Or thursday. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
No need to drain the coolant. Very little coolant comes out I just put a catch pan under the front, seriously not much comes out, after i got done I didn't even have to add coolant, ran the engine and bleed the system. One thing to help out drill a hole in the thermostat this allows air pockets to move thru the system and you don't have to wait for the thermostat to open up. If you have any questions I can help since I did the install myself. I didn't have issues as you described above, but over 30 years of wrenching experience helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to drain the coolant. Very little coolant comes out I just put a catch pan under the front, seriously not much comes out, after i got done I didn't even have to add coolant, ran the engine and bleed the system. One thing to help out drill a hole in the thermostat this allows air pockets to move thru the system and you don't have to wait for the thermostat to open up. If you have any questions I can help since I did the install myself. I didn't have issues as you described above, but over 30 years of wrenching experience helps.

Where did you drill a hole and how do you prevent coolant from coming out? When you take off the thermostat to take the crossover off, how did you prevent the coolant form coming out, because I've a few videos of guys replacing their thermostat and a lot of coolant comes out. I don't have a catch pan or similar not spill this all over my garage. I also have a coolant vacuum refill kit. So it would be easy to refill the coolant and pressure test it..

Did I read your past posts, that you sold your car?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Where did you drill a hole and how do you prevent coolant from coming out? When you take off the thermostat to take the crossover off, how did you prevent the coolant form coming out, because I've a few videos of guys replacing their thermostat and a lot of coolant comes out. I don't have a catch pan or similar not spill this all over my garage. I also have a coolant vacuum refill kit. So it would be easy to refill the coolant and pressure test it..

Did I read your past posts, that you sold your car?
When I took the top radiator hose off I folded it back to trap coolant in the hose, a little comes out but not much, then I took the thermostat housing off a little comes out. That's it.

The stat, just drill a hole in it in a flat area and make sure when you install it put the hole at 12 o'clock position this will help to bleed the air. while it was running I cracked open the bleed screw a few times when the engine was cold. My coolant tank dropped level some but not enough to worry about. I did add some water wetter to help break surface tension. I also added this to the supercharger intercooler.

Mix the minimum about of anti freeze to the intercooler to protect from freezing, the less antifreeze you add to the intercooler the better the heat transfer.

Be patient on filling the intercooler it's a pain, it really takes several days to get it full, when you think you have it full it's not, keep a little water bottle of premix and before you start your car take the lid off and fill the intercooler. I squeezed the lines to move the air to the top when I first filled the intercooler. took a lot of time to repeat this. then over several weeks I kept checking the level and had to keep adding water/coolant mix to the intercooler.

In fact I order a hellcat intercooler tank and bracket to install to increase the volume of water/antifreeze mix and to allow the system to have 100% coolant flow all the time. This might be another upgrade later to make the intercooler a little more efficient.

Ya I sold the car ran right around 12.5 at 107 mph on a good weather day when the DA was good, at the track best run was 12.8 in bad air.

running the smaller 60 mm pulley really increases low end launch and the tune from Sprintex will allow this change with no other tune. the smaller pulley was worth the low end increase, over all it added about 1.5 -2 mph in trap speed.

hope this helps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I took the top radiator hose off I folded it back to trap coolant in the hose, a little comes out but not much, then I took the thermostat housing off a little comes out. That's it.

The stat, just drill a hole in it in a flat area and make sure when you install it put the hole at 12 o'clock position this will help to bleed the air. while it was running I cracked open the bleed screw a few times when the engine was cold. My coolant tank dropped level some but not enough to worry about. I did add some water wetter to help break surface tension. I also added this to the supercharger intercooler.

Mix the minimum about of anti freeze to the intercooler to protect from freezing, the less antifreeze you add to the intercooler the better the heat transfer.

Be patient on filling the intercooler it's a pain, it really takes several days to get it full, when you think you have it full it's not, keep a little water bottle of premix and before you start your car take the lid off and fill the intercooler. I squeezed the lines to move the air to the top when I first filled the intercooler. took a lot of time to repeat this. then over several weeks I kept checking the level and had to keep adding water/coolant mix to the intercooler.

In fact I order a hellcat intercooler tank and bracket to install to increase the volume of water/antifreeze mix and to allow the system to have 100% coolant flow all the time. This might be another upgrade later to make the intercooler a little more efficient.

Ya I sold the car ran right around 12.5 at 107 mph on a good weather day when the DA was good, at the track best run was 12.8 in bad air

running the smaller 60 mm pulley really increases low end launch and the tune from Sprintex will allow this change with no other tune. the smaller pulley was worth the low end increase, over all it added about 1.5 -2 mph in trap speed.

hope this helps
Thank you so much for that. Also thanks for your last message, and I used those measurements and I think I can make my stock hood fit. That is great advice for the inter-cooler and that's great about the lack of coolant spillage. Another question for ya-your recommendation on reconnecting my battery so I can get my stock info off my (used) pcm. I bought a used pcm from another '15 challenger and sent that to diablosport ($200 service) to reflash it. I then installed it after I started removing parts in preparation for the supercharger install on wednesday. But I need to send my stock info to Sprintex so they can email me their tune. I have the trinity 2 tuner. So I removed everything up to removing the intake, I didn't loosen any of those bolts, just the brackets. So do you think I can reconnect my battery and turn on the "acc" to connect the T2 to obdII to get my stock info and then I was going to disconnect the battery without going through the "run", "start" push of the button. I would also remove the fuel relay again before reconnecting the battery.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Thank you so much for that. Also thanks for your last message, and I used those measurements and I think I can make my stock hood fit. That is great advice for the inter-cooler and that's great about the lack of coolant spillage. Another question for ya-your recommendation on reconnecting my battery so I can get my stock info off my (used) pcm. I bought a used pcm from another '15 challenger and sent that to diablosport ($200 service) to reflash it. I then installed it after I started removing parts in preparation for the supercharger install on wednesday. But I need to send my stock info to Sprintex so they can email me their tune. I have the trinity 2 tuner. So I removed everything up to removing the intake, I didn't loosen any of those bolts, just the brackets. So do you think I can reconnect my battery and turn on the "acc" to connect the T2 to obdII to get my stock info and then I was going to disconnect the battery without going through the "run", "start" push of the button. I would also remove the fuel relay again before reconnecting the battery.

Thoughts?
I would at least hook up all your wire connections, then hook up the battery, while you go thru the motions on downloading your stock tune to the trinity, I think the - not sure, but your throttle body goes thru a full range motion. So I would want everything hooked up before connecting the battery and going thru the motions of on, off, to get your stock tune just so there wouldn't be a any trouble codes wanting to be produced.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well the s/c will be here some time today. So I decided to start on it earlier by removing everything up to taking the intake off. I thought it would be easy and so I started on removing the front facia. Well 2 hours later and it's off. lol NO lie, that thing was a pain in the butt. I didn't take any pics or video, since it is straight forward. It's just getting access to some of the bolts and nuts. I did video where the highest nut is on the facia and luckily they were just hand tightened. But one bolt (on each side) has a piece of hard plastic covering about 1/6th of the bolt, so getting a socket on the bolt was fun-not really. When I go to install I'm going to cut a notch in the hard plastic-which does NOTHING-so I can tighten the bolt easily.

Then getting access to the support brackets attaching the intake to the block was tricky too. I bought an assortment of fasteners and I'm glad I did, I've broken quite a few.

Oh that reminds me.. who's damn brilliant idea was it to use rivet fasteners on the fender splash guard. I broke every single one. I first had to pry it out a little so I could use my cutters and cut the thing in half. I marred up my drivers side fender corner a little, that pisses me off.

So I started around 1545 and finished around 2100 hrs. And I just changed my pcm -which again- was in the tightest place ever. But I'm going to bed soon.

Tomorrows plan, is to drain the coolant.

If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer them. On wednesday I will finish removing the intake and replacing the injectors and then install begins. So part two will be that night-hopefully. Or thursday. Thanks for reading.
What year/specs is your car?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year/specs is your car?

2017, I just cut off the resonators and added 2.5 inch from the axle out to 3.5 inch black tips. It is the STP challenger so bigger tires/suspension/brakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part 2 and unfortunately there will be a part 3.

So I started the install today and wow it started rocky. I also did not take pictures or videos, because I had 4 hours of sleep from working last night and it was soooooooo f-ing difficult. If I did have my camera up, I may have thrown it.

Anyway, I am missing some parts and they are sending them overnight. But it was too late today so I won't be able to start the car till Friday. The bracket that holds the idler pulleys was not threaded thru for one of the bolts. So they are sending a new bracket. I'm also missing a spacer and the sticker that goes into the gas cap area to indicate "Premium Fuel Only". I have to say I know this install in and out and have passed along mistakes in the instructions. The verbiage for the instructions is what made it so f-ing difficult. I started at 1230 in the afternoon and finished most of it at 930pm. With 3 hours already spent on removing the facia and a few others things on Sunday. I am exhausted. I can and will be anyones helper, if they need it if they do this install. All in all, it's not that difficult-if you have the right instructions and parts.

And the great news is, you don't have to get a new hood. I closed mine, well almost. I am going to take the hook/loop on the front of the hood that connects to the latch on the body and put a couple of shims/washers underneath the bolts. This will allow the hook/loop to extend into the latch on the body and connect. I haven't done it yet, but it will work. You don't have to cut into the hood.

A couple of notes: They list a part twice in the list of supplies. And there were 4 bags of nuts/bolts/washers that had labels on the bags, but they were not in the supply list. I also had 2 washers just in the box, which were also not in the supply list. There are 4 bolts that were not in the box, but were on the supply list, so I started looking around. Well I read the instructions about a dozen times and realized they had those 4 bolts holding the lower and upper supercharger together, but if you didn't read the instructions you wouldn't know this. No where in it, does it say they are there. The instructions and seller tell you go through the list and check to make sure all the parts are there, but no one tells you to look under the supercharger.. Wow.

It took me about 45 minutes to get the old coolant crossover off and the new one on. The main reason, the groove for the gasket to sit in, on the new crossover was barely there. So every time I went to mate it to the block, the gasket would slip. Oh my GOD. I tried using masking tape and that finally worked after the 4th try. I had to tape the top part of it, but use a thin strip of shop towel where the gasket was, so the tape wouldn't stick to that. I then bolted it up one at a time, but leaving a little room so I could pull the tape out without pulling the gasket out of alignment. If they would have cut a little deeper the gasket would sit in the groove and you wouldn't have trouble affixing it. And there is plenty of material to do that. I told the tech guy and he agreed. But they have to send all of this info to Australia, because that's where most of the parts are made.

I purchased this sc from Sprintex themselves and they are in Michigan. I have to say the customer service to include sales and tech are phenomenal. When I first started seeing the mistakes and missing parts I was freakin out and I called them to complain-nicely though. They were understanding and were going to make some changes.

I forgot to mention, some of the instructions are in complete. In one part, there are hoses to which you have to figure out where they go on your own, because the instructions just stop and don't mention the hoses.

I spoke to my sales guy and he agreed with my frustrations and told me no one has mentioned this before so they want me to put something in an email when I'm done to help them out. Which is great for a company to do. So I would recommend the company, but they have some kinks to work out. But if you want help, I could write the freakin instructions, so ask. I will put a few pictures up tomorrow when I get up and open the garage and survey the mess I made.

Sorry so long.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
lol, what's funny, many of those same mistakes I complained about, hell I even had some jeep parts in my box which was not even on the check off list. I sent messages about the mistake, sounds like that's their story- they will take care of it. I don't think they fix the instructions.

glade too hear it will fit under the hood., oh just make sure your belt runs in the middle of the pulleys ( smooth ones) being plastic if they get side loaded they break, ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, what's funny, many of those same mistakes I complained about, hell I even had some jeep parts in my box which was not even on the check off list. I sent messages about the mistake, sounds like that's their story- they will take care of it. I don't think they fix the instructions.

glade too hear it will fit under the hood., oh just make sure your belt runs in the middle of the pulleys ( smooth ones) being plastic if they get side loaded they break, ask me how I know this.
I think I read about your broken belt in one of your posts.lol sorry. Oh and I think the torque specs are a little high even though they are mostly 5-8 foot pounds. I was torquing the timing cover bolt to the crossover and heard a snap. I sure as shit hope I did't F something big up. I stopped and then took my socket wrench and just touched it to make sure it didn't break loss and it didn't. I'm worried about the integrity of that crossover and gasket.

I felt the same kind of feeling-no snaps-but feeling I was torquing some of the bolts on the s/c to the plastic was also too much.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know today or tomorrow how things finished.. IF I am able to finish...hahahaha

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I think I read about your broken belt in one of your posts.lol sorry. Oh and I think the torque specs are a little high even though they are mostly 5-8 foot pounds. I was torquing the timing cover bolt to the crossover and heard a snap. I sure as shit hope I did't F something big up. I stopped and then took my socket wrench and just touched it to make sure it didn't break loss and it didn't. I'm worried about the integrity of that crossover and gasket.

I felt the same kind of feeling-no snaps-but feeling I was torquing some of the bolts on the s/c to the plastic was also too much.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know today or tomorrow how things finished.. IF I am able to finish...hahahaha

I didn't use a torque wrench on anything, over time you develop a feel of when to stop, not saying I don't use a torque wrench, there wasn't anything to big on this set up that required it. 30 years plus of wrenching one has their own feel, just understanding the material and sizes of things, you pretty much know how much is enough without breaking anything. Any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well well well.... 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. Yes I have finished. Today was a brighter day and the good Lord made things come together. The replacement bracket was shipped today overnight, so my current bracket-which was not threaded all the way through is disposable. Well then I decided to try to thread the bracket myself. Off to Ace I was and I got the part. I threaded the rest of the hole and put the bolt in and it worked. yes oh yes it worked. So I installed it with the pulleys and the washers and put the belt on. That was easy. Then I installed the intercooler hoses in front of the radiator. I used a solder and made the hole in the hard plastic bigger to make the hoses to fit. Not too hard. I used this solder on the facia on install too. That hard plastic that makes removing and installing one of the bolts a PITA, was melted just enough to let me use a socket wrench.

So the s/c was done, the intercooler was done and with help from the wife the facia was done.. All were relatively easy. Now comes adding the antifreeze and the worries and potential problems with air in the system messing with the heat in the car. Well well well, I didn't have ANY problems. I unscrewed the bleed screw by the thermostat and added the coolant that I had in the bucket I used to drain the system. Air escaped for a bit and then the coolant came out. And yes I used a catch bottle as to not make a mess of my garage. About 95% of the coolant went into the system. I turned the car on for the first time. Fingers crossed and yes I checked and rechecked the fasteners, bolts, hoses and alignment of the belt. It turned over with no issues and no check engine light. I turned the heat on as the instructions advise and it took about a minute and the heat was blasting hot air. YES YES. I drove it around the neighborhood and then checked for leaks. None. The radiator went down very little. Let me back up a second-the intercooler only took about half of the 1.9 liters it calls for. So I drove my boy to soccer practice and then went back to pick him up. I was gentle with the system these times. I then went for a drive in the evening and wow is it fast.

Before the drive, I checked the intercooler and it took another 25%, so I'm 300ml low, but it will take a little time to get all the air out. I added almost the rest of the coolant into the radiator. But I kept an eye on the temperature while driving and it was just like before the install, sitting between 195-209. I plan on the 180 stat soon.

Heat still works as well. So I was consistently getting 4.9 seconds, but with a better tune I think I can get that a little lower. Though I'm not looking for a drag car, I can always improve the times. I'm just happy as a pig in slop-hey watch the jokes guys, lol, to have a V6 hanging with the 8's.

I am new to the tech or tune part of vehicles nowadays, so there was a little learning curve with that today. I had to call diablosport, but they were great and helped out. If you have or get a trinity2, don't hook it up to a mac, it has issues with that so use a pc.

I will post pictures tomorrow, the car is outside now(wife gets the garage) and I had a late ride and am tired. Thanks for reading. I will keep this up to date on improvements. Wife wants me to work on the third floor reno, so it will a couple months before I get anymore goodies-maybe. ;) What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

One final word on trading for a V8 or getting a supercharger. If you can do it yourself and not pay additional monies on top of the sc, I'd get the sc over trading it in. I say this for a few reasons.
I did this myself and have accomplished something big. (Ross the tech guy for Sprintex said 80% of people have a shop do the install).
Although the (great on gas) is not a make it or break it for me, having this sc gets me the power of a V8 with the gas of a 6.
A rare vehicle.
NOT going back to a stealer to negotiate with a piranha just looking for a sale.
I love working on cars in my spare time and this was fuuu.... not quite, but it's not the sc's fault, the instructions were in greek.

And lastly-the wife wouldn't let me trade it in. Sad, but true. --I'd do the install again and would recommend a sc over a trade in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey dd, what TB did you have? What would you recommend? Also what tune worked for you and where did you go?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well well well.... 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. Yes I have finished. Today was a brighter day and the good Lord made things come together. The replacement bracket was shipped today overnight, so my current bracket-which was not threaded all the way through is disposable. Well then I decided to try to thread the bracket myself. Off to Ace I was and I got the part. I threaded the rest of the hole and put the bolt in and it worked. yes oh yes it worked. So I installed it with the pulleys and the washers and put the belt on. That was easy. Then I installed the intercooler hoses in front of the radiator. I used a solder and made the hole in the hard plastic bigger to make the hoses to fit. Not too hard. I used this solder on the facia on install too. That hard plastic that makes removing and installing one of the bolts a PITA, was melted just enough to let me use a socket wrench.

So the s/c was done, the intercooler was done and with help from the wife the facia was done.. All were relatively easy. Now comes adding the antifreeze and the worries and potential problems with air in the system messing with the heat in the car. Well well well, I didn't have ANY problems. I unscrewed the bleed screw by the thermostat and added the coolant that I had in the bucket I used to drain the system. Air escaped for a bit and then the coolant came out. And yes I used a catch bottle as to not make a mess of my garage. About 95% of the coolant went into the system. I turned the car on for the first time. Fingers crossed and yes I checked and rechecked the fasteners, bolts, hoses and alignment of the belt. It turned over with no issues and no check engine light. I turned the heat on as the instructions advise and it took about a minute and the heat was blasting hot air. YES YES. I drove it around the neighborhood and then checked for leaks. None. The radiator went down very little. Let me back up a second-the intercooler only took about half of the 1.9 liters it calls for. So I drove my boy to soccer practice and then went back to pick him up. I was gentle with the system these times. I then went for a drive in the evening and wow is it fast.

Before the drive, I checked the intercooler and it took another 25%, so I'm 300ml low, but it will take a little time to get all the air out. I added almost the rest of the coolant into the radiator. But I kept an eye on the temperature while driving and it was just like before the install, sitting between 195-209. I plan on the 180 stat soon.

Heat still works as well. So I was consistently getting 4.9 seconds, but with a better tune I think I can get that a little lower. Though I'm not looking for a drag car, I can always improve the times. I'm just happy as a pig in slop-hey watch the jokes guys, lol, to have a V6 hanging with the 8's.

I am new to the tech or tune part of vehicles nowadays, so there was a little learning curve with that today. I had to call diablosport, but they were great and helped out. If you have or get a trinity2, don't hook it up to a mac, it has issues with that so use a pc.

I will post pictures tomorrow, the car is outside now(wife gets the garage) and I had a late ride and am tired. Thanks for reading. I will keep this up to date on improvements. Wife wants me to work on the third floor reno, so it will a couple months before I get anymore goodies-maybe. ;) What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

One final word on trading for a V8 or getting a supercharger. If you can do it yourself and not pay additional monies on top of the sc, I'd get the sc over trading it in. I say this for a few reasons.
I did this myself and have accomplished something big. (Ross the tech guy for Sprintex said 80% of people have a shop do the install).
Although the (great on gas) is not a make it or break it for me, having this sc gets me the power of a V8 with the gas of a 6.
A rare vehicle.
NOT going back to a stealer to negotiate with a piranha just looking for a sale.
I love working on cars in my spare time and this was fuuu.... not quite, but it's not the sc's fault, the instructions were in greek.

And lastly-the wife wouldn't let me trade it in. Sad, but true. --I'd do the install again and would recommend a sc over a trade in.
Congrats! great job. A couple questions-
1) have you calculated your final cost- Kit, exhaust, intake, etc?
2) will you get it dyno'd? Be interesting to see how close it is to the V8's for power, torque
3) Does Sprintex work with you on the tuning? How is drivability compared to stock?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats! great job. A couple questions-
1) have you calculated your final cost- Kit, exhaust, intake, etc?
2) will you get it dyno'd? Be interesting to see how close it is to the V8's for power, torque
3) Does Sprintex work with you on the tuning? How is drivability compared to stock?
Thanks Speed,

My s/c was 4300+75 for shipping, I only cut off the resonators myself and added 2 1/2 inch pipes (from the axle) that I got for free from a muffler shop and then added black 3 1/2 inch tips for $65, and intake is completely stock. The clamps for the pipes were about $40. I bought coolant and oil for the sc which was $28 and the threader tool for $10. Oh I didn't have a 3/8 torque wrench so I got one $35 from northern tool. So $4553 was total.

I will get it dyno'd, it just may take a few weeks.

The drivability is almost exactly like stock. I think it drives smoother. I haven't had it in sport mode since it is so fast and smooth. The trans shifts great, the acceleration is not jerky. But I don't think it's getting the throttle fully open from a start. I need to record some runs on a log and look at it. The T2 is great, it has a drop down menu at any time that you can press one button to start recording. I haven't talked to Sprintex since I installed the tune, so I don't know how the will work with me, but ddennis has said they worked with him a lot. Plus with how awesome they have been with the sales and helping with install by answering all my questions and phone calls.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Hey dd, what TB did you have? What would you recommend? Also what tune worked for you and where did you go?
I had the stock throttle body that I ported. I had the stock throttle body, fastman throttle body and the 80 mm throttle body from overkill. I did a bunch of testing between all three. The fastman unit was much quicker than the the stock unit, so I took the stock unit and ported the hell out of it-like the fastman unit, even cutting the throttle blade support bar and shaving the lower bar( thin it) and ported it much more than the fastman unit, then I tested my fully ported stock unit against the fastman, the stock throttle body that I ported out just edged out the fastman unit. So I then sold the fastman unit knowing my ported stock unit was the best.

Then I bought the 80mm from Overkill and tested it against my ported unit. The overkill unit felt sluggish down low but it was a few numbers better in airflow at peak rpm -data logging verified this. Then off to the race track naturally aspirated of course, the ported stock unit just felt better and seemed to do better in 60ft time(swapped out both units at the track and tested them both), ported stock unit was marginal and then I decided my ported stock unit was better, it was pretty much a wash between the two tb's and went with the stronger down low stock ported unit and I sold the 80mm.

I should have kept the 80mm for the supercharger, I think it would have shined. I tried buying a new 80mm from overkill but I couldn't get a hold of the guy for weeks and even had an order in for a 80mm tb but it was never delivered from overkill.

The problem with the sprintex supercharger tune, they don't give you full throttle til 4900 rpms, I complained the entire time about this but Jay would never give me full throttle in the tune, instead all he would do was crank up the throttle response which was stupid.

The 80mm overkill unit would have increased low end power with the sprintex tune- it would have been a work around to get more throttle off launch.

So you can pick up more power with a larger throttle body just because the tune has limited throttle opening rate and a larger throttle body would allow more air flow at the lower rpms to kinda cheat their system in the tune.

I had several tunes from Jay with some tweaks so I don't remember and I already trashed all the tunes so I can't look back at them.

I didn't go anywhere just been working on my SRT on the front end, tomorrow I'm working on an engine strap to help transfer some of the wasted motion of the motor to the chassis to speed up the chassis response to help transfer weight quicker to the rear tires. SRT has so much power down low I need to get a handle on the traction side before I start searching for more hp/tq.

The v6 even with a supercharger was just the opposite, it lacked power down low and I was trying to find all the low end I could get, traction was a none issue, my v6 ran a best 4.0 0-60 mph time with several 4.1 at damn near any given time. I had the suspension set up for all the power the v6 could throw at it. My srt has so much torque and no traction right now I have only done a 4.4 0-60mph in my srt, trying to get traction. two different worlds for sure, the srt is a monster compared to the supercharged v6.

If there was a race right now between the two cars, the v6 would launch and go and be ahead of the srt, the srt would run down the v6 and just barely take the win at the end of the 1/4 mile- soon I hope to have the srt hooking as good as the v6.

Glade you got your supercharger on, keep an eye on the intercooler fluid, keep topping it off, it's very important any air in the system lowers efficiency and look into getting a hellcat coolant tank for the intercooler. keep us posted.

Just for comparison my naturally aspirated combo ran 5.0 0-60mph times. So right now your just barely edging out my naturally aspirated combo with the supercharger.

I just fine the data like this interesting, setting up cars different ways and see what they can do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had the stock throttle body that I ported. I had the stock throttle body, fastman throttle body and the 80 mm throttle body from overkill. I did a bunch of testing between all three. The fastman unit was much quicker than the the stock unit, so I took the stock unit and ported the hell out of it-like the fastman unit, even cutting the throttle blade support bar and shaving the lower bar( thin it) and ported it much more than the fastman unit, then I tested my fully ported stock unit against the fastman, the stock throttle body that I ported out just edged out the fastman unit. So I then sold the fastman unit knowing my ported stock unit was the best.

Then I bought the 80mm from Overkill and tested it against my ported unit. The overkill unit felt sluggish down low but it was a few numbers better in airflow at peak rpm -data logging verified this. Then off to the race track naturally aspirated of course, the ported stock unit just felt better and seemed to do better in 60ft time(swapped out both units at the track and tested them both), ported stock unit was marginal and then I decided my ported stock unit was better, it was pretty much a wash between the two tb's and went with the stronger down low stock ported unit and I sold the 80mm.

I should have kept the 80mm for the supercharger, I think it would have shined. I tried buying a new 80mm from overkill but I couldn't get a hold of the guy for weeks and even had an order in for a 80mm tb but it was never delivered from overkill.

The problem with the sprintex supercharger tune, they don't give you full throttle til 4900 rpms, I complained the entire time about this but Jay would never give me full throttle in the tune, instead all he would do was crank up the throttle response which was stupid.

The 80mm overkill unit would have increased low end power with the sprintex tune- it would have been a work around to get more throttle off launch.

So you can pick up more power with a larger throttle body just because the tune has limited throttle opening rate and a larger throttle body would allow more air flow at the lower rpms to kinda cheat their system in the tune.

I had several tunes from Jay with some tweaks so I don't remember and I already trashed all the tunes so I can't look back at them.

I didn't go anywhere just been working on my SRT on the front end, tomorrow I'm working on an engine strap to help transfer some of the wasted motion of the motor to the chassis to speed up the chassis response to help transfer weight quicker to the rear tires. SRT has so much power down low I need to get a handle on the traction side before I start searching for more hp/tq.

The v6 even with a supercharger was just the opposite, it lacked power down low and I was trying to find all the low end I could get, traction was a none issue, my v6 ran a best 4.0 0-60 mph time with several 4.1 at damn near any given time. I had the suspension set up for all the power the v6 could throw at it. My srt has so much torque and no traction right now I have only done a 4.4 0-60mph in my srt, trying to get traction. two different worlds for sure, the srt is a monster compared to the supercharged v6.

If there was a race right now between the two cars, the v6 would launch and go and be ahead of the srt, the srt would run down the v6 and just barely take the win at the end of the 1/4 mile- soon I hope to have the srt hooking as good as the v6.

Glade you got your supercharger on, keep an eye on the intercooler fluid, keep topping it off, it's very important any air in the system lowers efficiency and look into getting a hellcat coolant tank for the intercooler. keep us posted.

Just for comparison my naturally aspirated combo ran 5.0 0-60mph times. So right now your just barely edging out my naturally aspirated combo with the supercharger.

I just fine the data like this interesting, setting up cars different ways and see what they can do.
dd, can i modify the sprintex tune on the tuner, or do I have to put the diablo tune in and modify that to add more throttle and harder trans shifts? Will I have any issues with switching to a different tune? I guess I can just switch it back to the sprintex tune. Next week I have some time off form work so I can tinker with it. I know I can't build this too much, but I'm impressed with the pentastar. I've seen videos of it built and tested. SRT may come in a few years, I don't want a used one, so a new one will take longer.

Thanks for your advice and knowledge and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. You did a good job on your ride and I look forward to hearing about the srt upgrades.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scratch that comment on getting a new srt in a few years, I've heard the challenger is going away soon, very soon. As in 2019 to make room for the barracuda....

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
dd, can i modify the sprintex tune on the tuner, or do I have to put the diablo tune in and modify that to add more throttle and harder trans shifts? Will I have any issues with switching to a different tune? I guess I can just switch it back to the sprintex tune. Next week I have some time off form work so I can tinker with it. I know I can't build this too much, but I'm impressed with the pentastar. I've seen videos of it built and tested. SRT may come in a few years, I don't want a used one, so a new one will take longer.

Thanks for your advice and knowledge and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. You did a good job on your ride and I look forward to hearing about the srt upgrades.
Here's the problem with the sprintex tune, since they will not allow full throttle til 4900 rpm, any changes to wot using your diablosport tuner don't work, there is three rpm brackets to adjust timing and fuel at wot, two of those brackets are below 4900 rpms, so since the car is not at wide open throttle( even tho you have your foot thru the floor) the sprintex tune can not be changed with the hand held tuner. Basically Jay at sprintex has locked everyone out to be able to make changes to the sprintex tune, so that leaves you with 5-7k bracket to make changes.

In all honesty you will be miles ahead of what I did if some time down the road if you could get a custom tune and just bypass Jay and the sprintex tune. The sprintex tunes are super generic and are for the masses and they run extremely rich. If memory serve me right I ran across a 2 folks that had custom tunes and got something like 30 or 40 more hp over the sprintex tune and ran much better even just during lite driving and got better gas mileage to boot.

I live in an area where I didn't have access to a good tuner, the closest tuner to me wanted to charge about 800 bucks to tune my car with hp tuning equipment, he would have to build a new tune and rework everything, the problem was he didn't have no experience with the 3.6 engines and there would be a chance he could have hurt the car.

To build a new tune- specially if you do thru the mail, you need to be able to read the 02 sensors, so you would have to install a 02 sensor and gauge and get it installed so the hand held tuner can recorded it during data logging so a new tune could be built and the tuner can read your 02 reading. OST is the best I know at building tunes for the sprintex supercharger, I think he's the one that is finding the extra hp over sprintex tunes. Something to look into.

I would make all the changes your going to make to the car and invest in a one time custom tune- say from ost. but that's just my thinking, since the sprintex tune is so rich you can make improvements moving air in and out of the motor and no worry's of going lean, you can even put the smaller pulley on and not worry about, that's how rich this system is.

Now there is one caveat to all this I speak, I had the stage 2 setup which is not refined at all.

If your running a stage one 50 state legal set up, I assume your running based on your price you paid for the kit, that supercharger kit tune is better refined and should not be anywhere near as dirty as my set up was. I know they spent more time to get the basic kit dialed for 50 state legal with stock equipment.

My car had gears, huge exhaust, ported intake manifold, 7,000 rpm shift points, ported throttle body...... all this messes with the tune, i think Jay gave me some tunes to try and work with my changes, my tunes had hiccups, dead spots, a b!tch to drive normally, just wasn't smooth, ran really rich at wot. i think he tweaked some of the tunes blindly but never got me to where i needed to be, the last une he gave me my car worked the best with, but it was still a rough tune.

the sprintex kit is awesome, my only b!tch about the whole sprintex experience, the tune I had and the lack of Jay to help torwards the end, the first 6 or so tunes/tweaks was pretty fast but he got to the point he did want to mess with it no more, basically that if i want more I need to get a custom tune and i was told OST does custom tunes and have done well with the Sprintex superchargers.

hope some of this helps,

1 - 20 of 92 Posts