Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to get my challenger inspected here in NC and they failed me because my little side windows were to dark. They are factory tint and never been messed with. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Whattttt? Thats bs, those shouldnt be considered "windows" because theres no door underneath them. Shoulda asked the guy if he failed mustangs tht have window scoops too. Id say take it somewhere else, sounds like that dude doesnt kno the laws

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU. That is exactly what I was thinking. I know they have little covers for mustangs that cover the window completely. I think I will go to a different place instead

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea i think the laws for windows being tinted on the side only apply to windows that are in a door. Otherwise it classified as "accessory glass" and isnt subject to tint laws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Found this at NC.gov

''There*is an additional charge to check a vehicle with tinted windows. All windows with
applications*of*after‐factory*window*tinting*must*be*checked*during*the*safety*inspection.*(See*
exceptions*below)*
Windows*may*not*be*any*darker*than*35%*visible*light*transmission.*This*standard*is*considered*
to*be*met*if*the*window*tint*is*no*lower*than*32%*visible*light*transmission*when*measured*by*
the*station*with*a*photometer.*
Windshield*tinting*is*allowed,*however*the*combination*of*the*factory*tint*and*the*after*market*
tint*cannot*have*a*light*transmittance*of*less*than*32%.*The*tint*on*the*windshield*cannot*
extend*more*than*five*inches*below*the*top*of*the*windshield*or*below*the*AS1*line*of*the*
windshield,*whichever*is*longer.*
The*window*tinting*restrictions*apply*without*exception*to*the*windshield*of*the*vehicle.*
However,*they*do*not*apply*to*any*other*window*of*the*following*vehicle*types:*
 A*window*of*an*excursion*passenger*vehicle,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(27)*a.*
 A*window*of*a*for‐hire*passenger*vehicle,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(27)*b.*
 A*window*of*a*common*carrier*of*passengers,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(27)*c.*
 A*window*of*a*motor*home,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(27)*d2.*
 A*window*of*an*ambulance,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(27)*f.*
 The*rear*window*of*a*property‐hauling*vehicle,*as*defined*in*G.S.*20‐4.01*(31).*
 A*window*of*a*limousine.*
 A*window*of*a*law*enforcement*vehicle.*
 A*window*of*a*multipurpose*vehicle*that*is*behind*the*driver*of*the*vehicle.*A*
multipurpose*vehicle*is*a*passenger*vehicle*that*is*designed*to*carry*10*or*fewer*
passengers*and*either*is*constructed*on*a*truck*chassis*or*has*special*features*designed*
for*occasional*off‐road*operation.*A*minivan*and*a*pickup*truck*are*multipurpose*vehicles.*
 A*window*of*a*vehicle*for*which*DMV*has*issued*a*medical*exception*permit.*

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You could tell him your car is "designed for occasion off road use in that it has a high performance engine and is suited for off-road drag strip racing" lol. Or that it doubles as a show car, so therefore it has off road signifigance. In TX ive never heard of this being an issue, and i thought TX had some of the strictest laws.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
The place you took it probably had recently been busted for some violation on inspections and they are paranoid about it. Just try somewhere else. One time a local place refused me on an inspection because due to extreme cold weather and ice, one of my windows was frozen shut. Later I found out they had just been fined in an inspection sting operation (scam).

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I went to get my challenger inspected here in NC and they failed me because my little side windows were to dark. They are factory tint and never been messed with. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Take it to a Dodge dealer for the inspection. If it's factory tint, let them explain the problem to you.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I grew up in NC and the rule of thumb on tinting your windows where I was from was if you didn't "know of someone" who could do your (yearly) vehicle inspection, you didn't tint your windows. OR, you could tint them, remove the tint before each (yearly) inspection, then have them re-tinted. And that's why I love MD! Vehicle inspections only at time of purchase... :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts