Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sublime Challenger R/T - 6M - STP
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to tell if the PCM is unlocked or stock on a used Challenger R/T without buying a tuner?

Just trying to figure out what all has been done to this car. So far I know it was lowered by the previous owner, the stock air box lower end was taken out and the car has a 190 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If any scanner pulls up a body control module code ...I forget the exact code, but it will be impossible to clear. That will tell you that the computer in fact HAS been removed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply tripytro. I don't have any idiot lights on, but I'll throw my Bluetooth scanner on it, see if any codes are holding in there and report back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No ECU codes, so I guess no unlocked ECU/PCM?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
If a 2015+ PCM has been unlocked and tuned, it will set a P1400 code

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: Rob446

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
This code does not always set and it's not always readable by all tools.

It's really hard to tell TBH. If you're buying it from a dealership, they definitely can get the code to pull up with their tools IF the code is going to show up.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
One other way the dealer can "catch" this type of stuff is a mileage mis-match between the EVIC and the PCM and they can also see how many times the PCM has been flashed and compare it to FCA records for software updates.

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
Yes the odometer disagree is an easy one for them and if they see that it's curtains on your powertrain warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information. This forum is awesome!

I have a ELM327 bluetooth scanner I have used through my phone for previous vehicle repairs, Impala, jeeps, Chryslers, etc. It showed all sensor parameters and trouble codes on those as well as my Challenger. The connection currently shows no trouble codes stored or otherwise in the Challenger

I am going to assume the computer is stock. Some parameters are at there max levels ( like one of the O2 sensors for example)

Not to drag this into another territory, but due to the stock PCM should I return the air box and thermostat to stock spec? I've read that if the coolant temp doesn't hit the pcm operating parameters the system will retard the timing. Is this true?

My coolant rarely goes above 200, but my gas mileage actually has gone down since the cooler weather has started, just so happens that the cooler weather also coincided with a new drop in K&N filter (Yeah, I know, I know... K&N... blah blah blah 😉) I wasn't expecting the K&N to do much of anything, but reduced MPG in cooler temps with a new air filter seems strange.

Maybe I should post this elsewhere on the site?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Cor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts