Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter if the pcv if vented to atmosphere through a catch can, Or should it be hooked up to vacuum like the intake of the turbocharger? Either way its through a catch can. Right now I have it going to atmosphere.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
On my turbo fiero I had it vent to atmosphere but the fumes annoyed me at stop lights so I had it vent into the air box between the filter and turbo.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It needs to be connected to a vacuum source, If you have it to anywhere else it will not extract the fumes from the engine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It needs to be connected to a vacuum source, If you have it to anywhere else it will not extract the fumes from the engine.
This is correct. If the crankcase pressure gets too high you'll start blowing out oil seals. Running forced induction will create more blow-by gas increasing crankcase pressure.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
Under boost, there is no vacuum being generated...so are you both suggesting he run a stand alone vacuum pump/system?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Under boost, there is no vacuum being generated...so are you both suggesting he run a stand alone vacuum pump/system?
No, why would he need that? You are right there is no vacuum under boost, I'm not sure why that matters.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
Ah, so on the prochargers it looks like there is no change to the way the PCV is routed to the the manifold (from PCV to catch can and then to manifold just aft of the throttle body). The other crank vent goes to the air tube (between the filter and procharger - not visible in the image below). Like I said my set-up on the fiero just dumped between the filter and turbo. If I would have run it to the in a similar way it the PCV valve would just pop out when the car was in boost (although come to think of it the valve was probably faulty)...does not appear to be an issue with the challengers provided the valve closes when it see boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts