Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a manual trans ever experience pulling out into traffic in too high a gear, mashing the pedal and getting no response? The car seems to have some sort of "anti lugging" setup in the throttle response below 2500 rpm or so. I find it a bit dangerous. Would a pedal commander defeat this feature? I would love to go back to a old school 1:1 ratio of pedal position to throttle position regardless of engine rpm, gear position, or speed. When I push the gas I need it to respond NOW not later. I can't believe Dodge programed such a thing into the car. In 10,000 miles I've only done it twice, 1st time it was annoying, second time I was behind a slow car on the on-ramp and I pulled into the another lane and stomped it and the car decided it wasn't going to romp because it decided the engine rpm was too low:surprise: for the gear. Not cool...

I believe the pedal commander just boosts the signal to the "throttle by wire" but wouldn't defeat the "anti-lugging" feature. Any info from you guys that have one installed would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I have the PC on my 2015 RT Auto makes a huge difference.
My buddy has one on his 2013 6 speed and loves it

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sounds like you might be experiencing the skip shift feature/BS.

You think you are easing out into traffic in 2nd gear, but the skip shift has you in 4th. Mash the pedal and no go.
Had this happen a couple of times in the past w/ my 2012 Mustang GT. Agree, can be dangerous.

There is skip shift eliminator for available for like $20.00.
That or just drive more aggressively.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Anyone with a manual trans ever experience pulling out into traffic in too high a gear, mashing the pedal and getting no response? The car seems to have some sort of "anti lugging" setup in the throttle response below 2500 rpm or so. I find it a bit dangerous. Would a pedal commander defeat this feature? I would love to go back to a old school 1:1 ratio of pedal position to throttle position regardless of engine rpm, gear position, or speed. When I push the gas I need it to respond NOW not later. I can't believe Dodge programed such a thing into the car. In 10,000 miles I've only done it twice, 1st time it was annoying, second time I was behind a slow car on the on-ramp and I pulled into the another lane and stomped it and the car decided it wasn't going to romp because it decided the engine rpm was too low:surprise: for the gear. Not cool...

I believe the pedal commander just boosts the signal to the "throttle by wire" but wouldn't defeat the "anti-lugging" feature. Any info from you guys that have one installed would be great.
I would think this would be more of an issue with an automatic trans?? I have a manual 2015 392 and I can control how much power I am delivering to the gears. Yes I have the skip shift eliminator but still it would seem with a manual it would eliminate that problem???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think this would be more of an issue with an automatic trans?? I have a manual 2015 392 and I can control how much power I am delivering to the gears. Yes I have the skip shift eliminator but still it would seem with a manual it would eliminate that problem???

Put your car in 3rd or 4th gear, slow the engine down to idle, then try and floor it. The throttle by wire won't allow you to do it. It will VERY slowly roll the engine up until a certain rpm then open up the throttle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you might be experiencing the skip shift feature/BS.

You think you are easing out into traffic in 2nd gear, but the skip shift has you in 4th. Mash the pedal and no go.
Had this happen a couple of times in the past w/ my 2012 Mustang GT. Agree, can be dangerous.

There is skip shift eliminator for available for like $20.00.
That or just drive more aggressively.

Not necessarily the skip shift, just seems to be the computer ignoring the driver's request to fully open the throttle at very low rpms in uppergears thereby keeping the engine from rattling and lugging, at the expense of the driver's safety in my opinion.

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Not necessarily the skip shift, just seems to be the computer ignoring the driver's request to fully open the throttle at very low rpms in uppergears thereby keeping the engine from rattling and lugging, at the expense of the driver's safety in my opinion.
But on the other hand the engine could experience massive destructive detonation if you lug it so what is Dodge to do? This is the reason that the M6 5.7L requires 91, it's a resistance to detonation from lugging and don't think Dodge will change anything, you've got be in the right gear driving a manual and too high a gear just as bad as too low.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would think this would be more of an issue with an automatic trans??
It's not.

The ZF trans is quite responsive.

Re: Topic - My thoughts on throttle voltage modifiers are well expressed elsewhere, so I won't go into that here. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
It would seem to me after doing research that the Sprint Booster is a better product. They won the SEMA award in 2010 for best new performance product. Pedal commander which is made in Turkey is knock off of the Sprint Booster.

Here's a good video explaining the differences -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts