Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my experience with the Pedal Commander mod I installed on my 2017 SXT Plus. I have owned the car for about 6 months and purchased it new. First I love my car since day one but did notice a lag in the acceleration but hey its a new car with an electronic throttle. I can across a product called the Pedal Commander on Amazon and the reviews for the most part where positive, same with You Tube reviews. I decided to order one and if it did not work just send it back. It took 5 minuets to install and knew as soon as I hit the gas the lag was gone. This unit has Eco, City, Sport and Sport+ all with 8 different setting for each mode to fine tune to your driving. I have not driven the car much during winter but took her out twice with the Pedal Commander and all I can say that it a lot more fun to drive. With no Tune out yet for the 2017 V6 yet and the fact you have to swap out your ECU this was worth the $250 I paid. Looking for a bit more out of your SXT, give this a try.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put one on my SXT Plus last week. I've settled on the Sport setting.
Same here, the Sport mode +1 is what I was driving in today but dialed it down to plain Sport and felt perfect.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What does it do that putting the car in sport mode doesn't? I mean I get no lag in sport mode. Just asking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does it do that putting the car in sport mode doesn't? I mean I get no lag in sport mode. Just asking.
I still felt the lag even in sport mode that came with the car. I could feel it shifting more aggressive but still lag, now with this Pedal Commander it's gone. I have to try running the car in sport mode, with and then without the Pedal Commander turned on and see if there is any difference.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,694 Posts
Sounds a lot like what the Throttle Boost setting on the DiabloSport tuners does - amplifies the throttle sensor’s data as read by the PCM. WOT is still only WOT, but you get there quicker, even if it’s only by a few milliseconds. Don’t be afraid to max it out, you’re not making it do anything it couldn’t do already (you’re just commanding it to do it faster now!).

In any other case I would say $250 was too much, given what it actually does. However, seeing as adding a tuner to the 2015+ models does require buying another PCM in addition to the cost of the tuner, the price tag of this unit doesn’t seem so bad for those that wish to mod for performance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts
Sprint Booster was 1st I saw. They basically remap the resistance I believe. See around 1:20 mark

Looks like Pedal Commander gives you more choices. A Guy

Reactions: ol fart

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
So it's a "Throttle Scaler"?

Pretty neat for the street, how do these work with a V8 Challenger?

If you spend most of your time at WOT (Drag racing) I do not think it would be noticeable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds a lot like what the Throttle Boost setting on the DiabloSport tuners does - amplifies the throttle sensor’s data as read by the PCM. WOT is still only WOT, but you get there quicker, even if it’s only by a few milliseconds. Don’t be afraid to max it out, you’re not making it do anything it couldn’t do already (you’re just commanding it to do it faster now!).

In any other case I would say $250 was too much, given what it actually does. However, seeing as adding a tuner to the 2015+ models does require buying another PCM in addition to the cost of the tuner, the price tag of this unit doesn’t seem so bad for those that wish to mod for performance.
Correct, This has no HP gains or increase power, just a lot more responsive when you hit the gas. The price tag is steep at $299, I got mine on sale at $250. I'm sure there was a lot of R&D the company did and now looking to make a profit. I will say it did preform as advertised and a good improvement in throttle response.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If you spend most of your time at WOT (Drag racing) I do not think it would be noticeable.

I believe we all have the same gas pedal so this would also work with the V8 as the part number for Challenger also fits many Jeep and Dodge vehicles. I did a 0-60 run (WOT) and no improvement from my previous times.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts

Engine size shouldn’t matter, as long as the throttle position sensor communicates with the PCM in the same way, it would work.

And yes, the WOT command is still only WOT, but the PCM would theoretically receive that command a few milliseconds earlier.

If I had access to my old datalogs I could post some screen shots that would make it more clear. I was curious how the Throttle Boost on DiabloSport tuners worked, so I datalogged a bunch of driving with it on/off and applied at varying levels (0-20 in their tuners).

What I saw was that at WOT, the Accelerater Position PID had a value of 123% with Throttle Boost maxes out versus 100% with Throttle Boost off.

At half throttle, it was 70% versus 50%. And at quarter throttle it’s was roughly 30% versus 25%.

So basically you get more commanded throttle for the same amount of peddle at any given point. This is only possible because of the fly by wire throttle setup we have (as opposed to cable operated like previous generations).

It’s important to note that the amount of throttle we’re talking about here is the throttle body blade’s percentage of open. So 100% Throttle means fully open, but so does 123%. The TB blade can only open so wide, there is no wider than fully open.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Any downfalls or detriments to installing one?

Can it hurt anything?
Installing and using one of these devices does not actually modify any of the air/fuel/spark parameters used by the ECU to efficiently and safely make the engine operate. So from that perspective, it cannot hurt anything.

This isn't a great analogy, but it's close enough to get the point across I think: what these devices change in the car's computer is akin to what you change when you adjust the pointer speed of the mouse on your laptop/desktop computer. When you go into the control panel and increase (or decrease) the speed of the mouse pointer, your hand still only moves the mouse a set distance across the mouse pad (like your foot pushing the gas pedal), but the change you made will have the effect of increasing (or decreasing) the relative distance the mouse pointer moves on the screen of the computer.

And that is the beauty of fly-by-wire throttles (or the ugliness of it, depending on your opinion of the technology) - the amount of throttle applied is merely an electrical signal derived from the position of the gas pedal at any given time, and thus can be adjusted by merely changing a setting in the control panel (of the car's computer). This was not possible in the old days because the amount of throttle the engine saw was directly tied to the amount of distance of gas pedal travel since it was connected to the carb via a physical cable.

clear as mud?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I added a throttle booster to my Ram Daytona 5.7 Hemi and it made a big difference in throttle response. I have it set at max.

Sometimes I forget I added the booster and when I take off in a hurry, the neck snapping acceleration startles you.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Any downfalls or detriments to installing one?

Can it hurt anything?
The only effect it has is on your wallet and your "seat of the pants" feeling, since all it does is lie about voltage. For free, you can press the pedal faster.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The only effect it has is on your wallet and your "seat of the pants" feeling, since all it does is lie about voltage. For free, you can press the pedal faster.

You can press the pedal as fast as you want without the PC but you will still have a lag between the time you press the pedal as fast as you want and the time the car figures out you want it to go. The PC reduces that lag time so that the vehicle responds right when you hit the pedal not after letting you sit there for a while waiting.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's not technically correct as far as throttle input voltage is concerned. That IS how they market it, though.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's not technically correct as far as throttle input voltage is concerned. That IS how they market it, though.

Technicalities and marketing aside, it does improve the ride. I assume you never had one. I do and it has made the car far more enjoyable. I have never seen a post from anyone on this forum or other forums, who has a PC and did not like it. I also put one on my 5.7 Ram. Since I may be trading in the Ram I just sold that PC to a Scat Pack owner. He emailed me back to tell me how much he likes it too. So unlike other mods, at least this one gets a universal thumbs up from users.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It does get the thumbs-up from people who need to spend 300 dollars on marketing, and use phrases like "technicalities aside" when presented with facts about its technical operation, to be sure.

You'll never hear me argue "I like it" arguments, but I will correct technical inaccuracies that sell people snake oil.

Fun question time; what does "I've never had one" have to do with the price of tea in China? Fun fact time; never been bitten by a shark, but data suggests that it sucks.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts