Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT Frostbite
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at these two options to enhance the performance of my 2020 SXT.
I realize the pedal commander is pretty much a throttle enhancer and it is alot cheaper than a throttle body upgrade.
My concern is if I do the throttle body upgrade am I going to notice that much difference in performance?
I have installed the Hellcat air box and performance air filter.
Not planning on doing anything with exaust.
Your thoughts and opinions please?
Thank's in advance.

Jim....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
The throttle body likely won't net you anything...perhaps a little improved throttle response. The Pedal Commander would give you that, and you could tailor it to your taste

A Guy

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
The most effective and not go into crazy cash with an SXT is a Pedal Commander but be advised some of those have had issues putting a car into Limp Mode.
Most dont seem to have that issue but its possible when you least expect it. Ive heard the Bluetooth ones have had this issue. I've spoke to a few locals in a
Mopar Club and one in a Challenger only Club mention it. Both had them in there cars for about 6 - 10 months then out of the blue the car just goes into Limp.
The Guy in Challenger group told me when he was getting on the Interstate he was getting up to 70mph then as soon as he pulled onto the Interstate it suddenly
slowed down and he almost got plowed.

The Throttle body with out much else is not really going to get you a lot of bang you might expect cause its still a Drive by Wire device.
The Response still will produce a bit of lag because of how the PCM is the link between your Pedal and the Throttle Body.

My belief is if someone made newer heads without the Exhaust Headers for the Pentastar 3.6L as one unit you could open up more possibilities.
Because then it could push more air out and relieve some back pressure.

They claim there is larger Throttle Body with not Tune needed but for life of me I can't believe the results being that the Parameters are still
locked in that PCM the Air Flow Mixture is still regulated, as is the Spark etc., Sometimes a Placebo Marketing can make one believe you got
more then you actually have.

As for the Pedal Commander you get a Launch but afterwards its not really knocking down the 0-60 result is just a quicker Air / Fuel burst.

Finally a Throttle Body mod will Void your Warranty be advised!!! If you take car into service dont have a Pedal Commander sitting in your Car as well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The Pedal commander won't really improve any 0-60 times or anything like that, but it makes the car feel faster. It really does make a dramatic difference in the way that the car feels - you'll feel like you got a bigger engine. :)

I've had the bluetooth pedal commander for a while now and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Key thing to remember is not to go changing the settings while the car is in Drive. Some people try to change the settings while driving and it confuses the cars computer because it dramatically changes the pedal position that is sent to the computer all of the sudden. You have to resist trying to change the settings while in Drive. :)You might get away with it multiple times and then run into issues another time - so just don't do it.

Not sure why some people have issues and some don't (if not adjusting the settings "on the fly"). Maybe there was a defective batch or something? It happens...

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
The Pedal commander won't really improve any 0-60 times or anything like that, but it makes the car feel faster. It really does make a dramatic difference in the way that the car feels - you'll feel like you got a bigger engine. :)

I've had the bluetooth pedal commander for a while now and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Key thing to remember is not to go changing the settings while the car is in Drive. Some people try to change the settings while driving and it confuses the cars computer because it dramatically changes the pedal position that is sent to the computer all of the sudden. You have to resist trying to change the settings while in Drive. :)You might get away with it multiple times and then run into issues another time - so just don't do it.

Not sure why some people have issues and some don't (if not adjusting the settings "on the fly"). Maybe there was a defective batch or something? It happens...
Could be a bad batch but also similar products have a intermittent issue similar, K&N's which is hideous with that twist control.... Both these guys had them in their cars for a while then acted up... THey did not adjust them I believe them both... They both said set and forget...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, I can't explain why some people have issues with it and some don't. Maybe it depends on exactly the way that one uses the gas pedal? For example, I never "floor" the gas pedal in my car - so maybe I don't have issues just because I use the pedal differently than someone else might - and maybe their type of usage triggers the issue. Really not sure.

Hopefully, people that do have issues, contact the Pedal Commander folks - because they can't fix the issue if they aren't made aware of it.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
They have contacted them gave all details, etc., nearly a book of info and some Video Clips as well to PC mfg... Im going to wait a while longer myself I really don't feel what I have has anything horrible in response...

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
959 Posts
id go peddle commander. I have two. One on my 2020 ram with an auto and it made it feel like a completely different animal. Id have to say by driving it it definitely improves the 0-60 on it. Its not only more peddle sensitive but changed the way it back shifts as well. I also put one on my srt8 with a stick. Didnt do near as much for the stick and id say it didnt make it even a tiny bit quicker.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
The Throttle body with out much else is not really going to get you a lot of bang you might expect cause its still a Drive by Wire device.
The Response still will produce a bit of lag because of how the PCM is the link between your Pedal and the Throttle Body.
This reminds me of the old days. If your car came with a 650 carburetor, putting a 750 carburetor on it would net you zero power gains without any engine modifications.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
This reminds me of the old days. If your car came with a 650 carburetor, putting a 750 carburetor on it would net you zero power gains without any engine modifications.
You usually had to adjust the Adjust the Carb many just bolted them on if it didnt stall they would leave it. Also most did not adjust the Timing, and Plugs for change in Temp Range to run better...

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
Thank's for all your inputs guys.
Anyone had any experience with the Banks Pedal Monster? Advertised features sound impressive.
Id be more trusting of a Banks Product then the Commander especially with the Features Banks has they are a solid company for years in Performance...

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
You usually had to adjust the Adjust the Carb many just bolted them on if it didnt stall they would leave it. Also most did not adjust the Timing, and Plugs for change in Temp Range to burn better...
OMG. I found someone that speaks old school language. :D

I am only a master in Holley carburetors. I just miss the days when we had timing lights. Advance as far as you can, until you get detonation. New cars take the fun out of that.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts

I am only a master in Holley carburetors. I just miss the days when we had timing lights. Advance as far as you can, until you get detonation. New cars take the fun out of that.
Here is why I understand old School , My Uncles old Late Model when I was growing up... He has photos of me when I was 7 doing the heads on
his late Model Chevelle... We also had an old Ford Econoline Wheel Stander with a 392 Hemi in it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,647 Posts

If you try to explain jets to a young person today, they think of the Blue Angel's or something like that! :D

By the way, you just advance your timing with a laptop today instead of a timing light. The principle is the same, but it's just using a different medium. I do know what you mean though. Things were MUCH simple then.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,908 Posts
If you try to explain jets to a young person today, they think of the Blue Angel's or something like that! :D

By the way, you just advance your timing with a laptop today instead of a timing light. The principle is the same, but it's just using a different medium. I do know what you mean though. Things were MUCH simple then.
Well if you tell someone to Dial a Phone Number they look at you like what is a Dial on a Touch Tone / Smart Phone....

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
959 Posts
had to laugh. I remember cruising around on friday and saturday night in our small town. All the cars were congregated around the pay phone by the A&W drive in. Lines to use to the phone. By the way the girls serving at the A&W did wear roller skates. Couple of us were even lucky enough to have one of those high tech FM RADIOS!! There was two FM channels up here. One country and one rock. Still remember at about 10 years old my parents bought the first collared tv in the neighborhood. EVERYONE congregated at our house on sunday for foot ball. Women grilled and hung around outside and every spot on the floor in the living room was taken by one of the men or boys. With all the crap in the world today id sure like to spin the clock back to a more simpler time!

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
959 Posts
YES, the good ole days..........................
well some of it anyway. I still remember having to haul a case of octane boost and a good tool set in my ls6 chevelle. i dont so fondly remember trying to put power down on some bias ply tires or adjusting my valves about every month or changing points and plugs with about every oil change and i sure dont miss 8mpg. But that said id sure love to have that thing sitting back in my yard today for a toy. Back then it was my everyday driver. Even in the winter. something that would be considered sacrilege today!!!! we didnt have a clue they would be worth something today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.