Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at these three and they're all 35mm hollow bars. The BMR one isn't adjustable but is $70 cheaper than the Eibachs, Pedders is $20 less, is the Eibach worth the higher price or are they about the same quality wise?

BMR: $180
Pedders: $230
Eibach: $250

Is having it adjustable worth the higher price considering my shipping costs? Shipping for all is about the same at $90-$120.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you already have a rear sway bar? What are characteristic are you looking to cure? IMO I would take the adjustability just because it beats having to buy another sway bar.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you already have a rear sway bar? What are characteristic are you looking to cure? IMO I would take the adjustability just because it beats having to buy another sway bar.
I still have the stock 17mm (?) R/T rear sway bar. Looking to do that later on.

I'm looking to get less body roll, I know that going with a thicker front sway bar will push it towards understeer more but I'm mostly concerned about the body roll at the moment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
These cars are already prone to understeer. Have you replaced the springs yet? I would assume yes, but if you haven't that would do more to cure roll and other issues than the sway bar.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These cars are already prone to understeer. Have you replaced the springs yet? I would assume yes, but if you haven't that would do more to cure roll and other issues than the sway bar.
That's true, I currently have Mopar lowering springs on a set of Koni STR.T. The rear shocks don't have a lot of rebound force compared to the stock which I assume also contributes to understeer due to more weight being transferred to the rear. (I'm not really well informed about suspension dynamics)

EDIT: I actually find it very hard to break traction to the rear on straight line launches after installing the new shocks, I'm assuming Koni tuned it more for straight line/launches than corners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unless stated otherwise I would assume that most "performance" suspension mods for the Challenger are tuned for drag racing which, from your experience with your Konis, seems to be the case. In this case the cheapest way to reduce roll would be to increase the size of the rear sway bar, but this is not the optimal option. Sway bars work by resisting the force compressing your suspension on the outside tire by lifting the inside tire. This reduces total grip and limits the independence of your suspension. It is an easy and relatively cheap way to balance the handling characteristics of a car but it is something that should be used as sparingly as possible.

A soft rear suspension is better for drag racing as it allows more weight transfer to the rear which increases the grip potential of the rear tires. This means harder acceleration and less tire spin, all else being equal...to a point. A soft rear suspension compared to the front, especially in a car with a forward weight bias like the Chally, increases understeer.

The most productive (though more expensive) route would be to change your rear springs and shocks to something stiffer and with more rebound and damping. Otherwise you end up trying to bandaid bad fundamentals and end up with a car that handles like a basket case.

In short,, from what you've stated about your car in this post,, I'd be willing to bet that if you put a stiffer front sway bar on it is going to understeer like hell and the front end is going to feel like dogshit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless stated otherwise I would assume that most "performance" suspension mods for the Challenger are tuned for drag racing which, from your experience with your Konis, seems to be the case. In this case the cheapest way to reduce roll would be to increase the size of the rear sway bar, but this is not the optimal option. Sway bars work by resisting the force compressing your suspension on the outside tire by lifting the inside tire. This reduces total grip and limits the independence of your suspension. It is an easy and relatively cheap way to balance the handling characteristics of a car but it is something that should be used as sparingly as possible.

A soft rear suspension is better for drag racing as it allows more weight transfer to the rear which increases the grip potential of the rear tires. This means harder acceleration and less tire spin, all else being equal...to a point. A soft rear suspension compared to the front, especially in a car with a forward weight bias like the Chally, increases understeer.

The most productive (though more expensive) route would be to change your rear springs and shocks to something stiffer and with more rebound and damping. Otherwise you end up trying to bandaid bad fundamentals and end up with a car that handles like a basket case.

In short,, from what you've stated about your car in this post,, I'd be willing to bet that if you put a stiffer front sway bar on it is going to understeer like hell and the front end is going to feel like dogshit.
So from what I gather, my best choice in order to improve it would just to get the whole set of adjustable sway bars at once, set the front to the softest setting and rears to tighter ones to balance it out. Mopar progressive rear springs do already have higher spring rates than the front.

I actually e-mailed Koni about this and they told me that I can't compare it to the stock monotube high pressure gas shocks as their STR.T are twin tube low pressure and work differently at damping.

EDIT: I suppose I could play around and re-install the OEM rear shocks with faster rebound rate and see what's better too. If it does feel better, I'll most likely order a set of Bilstein B6 in the future.

Reactions: DWBruiser

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Bilstein B6 on all 4 corners of my 09 R/T and they work great with the Eibach Sportline springs. Definitely recommend them. I still have a bit of understeer but the wider tires on the back end are probably contributing to that (275s vs 255s up front). I will be looking into a rear sway bar to try and balance the handling a bit more until I can make the jump to fully adjustable coil overs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts