Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Makes sense. Interesting how they brought up the fact of possible software issues to work out yet with the Hemis.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This may bring out some flames but an automatic six cylinder in these cars just doesn't excite. Heck the automatic 5.7 brought out the "It feels like a family car" from my wife when she test drove it.

For me, if that was the drivetrain I needed, I would opt for the Charger. At least it has 4 doors.

I recognize it's always different strokes for different folks, so to each his own, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I look forward to the 8 speed being mated to the hemi. Cruising and acceleration would be much improved, the former for fuel economy, and the later for smoother changes.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't think there is much basis for "extra fuel economy" just because it is an 8-spd. To do so, presumes that the hemi can tolerate pulling a taller gear than it already is in the current overdrive gear, while in mds. I'm gonna guess that it can't, based on my driving experiences. It's as tall as the engine can accommodate w only 4 cylinders firing. Hence, I think all of the potential hwy mpg has already been taken off the table.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
My sources told me that you will never see the 8-speed auto mated to the Hemi. It is being slated for the 6-cylinder cars only. I would guess it's more of a problem with torque than electronics. I know the 7-speed auto that Mercedes replaced the 5-speed with this year, isn't torque friendly, and it's a very expensive transmission to break. I would imagine that the 8-speed ZF is built much the same way.

On the upside, the new 8-speed is anticipated to increase mpg's by 15-20%.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's really hard to imagine having 8 gears. It ought to allow for a steep gear for hard launches (very helpful with a 6), close ratios to keep the engine in it's powerband, and a very tall top gear for cruising. It might be fun if they give it paddle shifters...then again maybe all the shifting would drive you nuts after a while!

I've also read somewhere that it is not going to make it to the hemi's. I would much rather have a tall top gear than MDS cutting in and out. It might even give better fuel economy, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The way I look at it, having the right set of gears is more important than having some uber number of gears purely for the sake of numbers. Once you have more gears than you need in an automatic it's just that many more chances it's going to pick the wrong gear you didn't want, and no amount of programming is going to correct that. Keep the number of gears manageable, and that is going to be the biggest solution to the "transmission problem" (if there was ever a problem in the first place).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I am a huge fan of 6/7/8 speed autos. The amount of rpm that and engine drops between gears is related to the transmission gearing. By having more gears, they can be a closer ratio to each other and have less rpm drop. Less rpm drop mean the engine will stay near its max power level for longer and not "Bog down" between shifts.

Tim C

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't think the current 5-spd presents any problems with staying inside a 4500-5500 rpm zone as it upshifts during maximum output scenarios. Now if we were dealing with engines that are revving 7000-8000 rpm, then I can foresee needing closer ratios. The need for closer ratios is really only applicable for higher revving engines. It's not even because it will give closer shifts, but simply to duplicate the spread that a lesser revving engine with a transmission of lesser gear number would exhibit. The latter scenario did not need more gears, per se. The former does need more gears (and closer gears) as a consequence of higher rpm operation that numerically magnifies the rpm spread between gears.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have no problem with my R/T, but with a taller gear instead of MDS, you may see improvement in mileage. 6-speeds (manuals) w/o MDS do around 1800 rpm cruising 75 mph; I've noticed that my auto at the same speed w/ MDS does around 2300 rpm.

So I wonder what the difference in efficiency would be between the two...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Probably not much, because fuel consumption doesn't necessarily follow linearly with rpm, when you got a rising torque profile in that range. On level ground, mds running at a whopping 2500 rpm in overdrive is really not hurting for mpg. Arguably, either manual or automatic car running at the speed that pertains to the automatic running 2500 rpm in top gear (78-ish mph?) has more to lose in mpg due to air drag, rather than rpm.

·
Registered
726 Posts
x

It's really hard to imagine having 8 gears. It ought to allow for a steep gear for hard launches (very helpful with a 6), close ratios to keep the engine in it's powerband, and a very tall top gear for cruising. It might be fun if they give it paddle shifters...then again maybe all the shifting would drive you nuts after a while!

I've also read somewhere that it is not going to make it to the hemi's. I would much rather have a tall top gear than MDS cutting in and out. It might even give better fuel economy, but that's just a guess.
I'z wiz youz Bonnievillez. Oopz!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not likely. Next year is the last hoorah for the challenger. Don't expect any major changes......
While I dont disagree entirely with your statement, I do also recall the fabulous Magnum that was totally revised the year before it was pulled. The Caliber also saw some revisions/refreshing in its last year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The V6's fuel economy is just not competitive with mustang or camarro v6. The only reason I can imagine this being dropped into the challenger V6 at this time is to close that deficiency. V6 buyers in the market in general expect 300hp in this car segment and also 30mpg. These are market benchmarks. Challenger has looks in spades. It is the most comfortable for cruising and has the best trunk in this class of car. It's deficiency in it's fuel economy may be viewed as keeping the car (in it's V6 offering) from capturing more of the market. Remember in this class of vehicle, the majority of sales are the V6 offering. Its simple economy of scale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts