Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a PCM swap, which necessitates disconnecting the battery. Unbeknownst to me, my dash cam reverted to default settings which resulted in the Park Mode not turning on for 10 minutes.

10 minutes. Turns out, that was the window of time that allowed some low life to avoid taking responsibility for hitting my car. No note. Nothing.

People suck.

My camera recorded everything, except for a 10 minute window between the time I parked, and when a silver Cadillac parked next to me. The Caddy was there when I discovered the damage, and its owner confirmed when they arrived and parked next to me...near the end of that dang 10 minute window. FYI, whatever hit me was stark white in color.

So far the damage appears to be primarily paint transfer and some scratches that look to be buff-able. I won't know for sure for a couple of days because I have to leave it as is (and it's driving my OCD off the charts) until the claims adjuster sees it.

People suck.

Normally, I wouldn't file a claim, just tackle the paint correction myself. But in this instance, both the plastic front end and the metal fender are affected, and I don't know if under all that white paint the black was rubbed off or the scrapes went through to the plastic/metal. My biggest concern is ensuring that any corrective painting blends to two together.

And I feel stupid for not double checking my dash cam settings (gee thanks OCD, where were you when I could have used you???)...a few seconds of anal-retentive double checking could have saved me 10 minutes of blankness that would have given me a target for my frustration.

Did I mention I'm feeling like People suck?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Oh man, I am bummin' for ya. It's so hard to make everything perfect again without new parts...so you'll likely need a new fender and front bumper. Hope it is tight and right for you again soon!

·
Premium Member
2015 Scat Pack
80 Posts
That sucks. I thought that stuff only happens to me. I am reminded on a daily basis that people really do suck. Right before coming here I was treated to video footage of idiots down in Florida looting sneakers and tvs, while people all over the country are reaching into their wallets to make donations or donate their labor to help get things back in order. Why can't people just do the right thing? In my dreams, I'll be moving to my own island (with my mean machine) where I can live without stupid knuckleheads.:11: Hang in there, you'll be good as new in no time.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Whelps, it's time to wrap our Challengers in the bubble wraps now. Yep, people out there suck!.

Sorry about your misfortunes. :(

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,785 Posts
My car weeps for your car! It is a damn shame we have to share the roads with poor drivers who just don't care. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
What camera are you talking about that is dependent on the PCM? Is it just because you disconnected the battery?

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
That sucks. Do you always see the cars plates that park next to you with a dash cam?
I guess that's why my car lives in the garage almost always.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's a damn shame. No punishment is too severe for a$$h0l3s who do this sh!t. Best wishes for you buddy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh man, I am bummin' for ya. It's so hard to make everything perfect again without new parts...so you'll likely need a new fender and front bumper. Hope it is tight and right for you again soon!
How would new parts help with this? It doesn't look like anything is bent?

That does suck, sorry it happened OP

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,750 Posts
Any businesses around with security cams that you could bribe the owners with a beer to take a look at their footage on the day this happened?

On a more serious note:

I never did find the low-life that keyed my first Challenger, and as such, my plan for revenge upon his worthless hide was never put into effect. I don't want to go into details for liability reasons, but suffice to say the target of such a plan will NEVER inflict damage upon someone else's ride again...actually, they probably won't ever be seen again, but that's getting into the weeds. My point is, the plan is still available, and since it's never been used before, it cannot be traced back to you or me. I can give it to you, but I'll need a promise not to squeal on me if you get caught.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna enact my plan, you'll need copious amounts of duct tape (Gorilla brand, extra wide actually), a hectare of cactus (*****ly pear is my personal suggestion), and some used motor oil (any kind will work, the less specific to your application, the better probably). So if you cannot come up with those ingredients, there's no need to bother with trying to enact my plan upon the perpetrator.

Reactions: pinefd

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
CSI: Nuke

I recently did a PCM swap, which necessitates disconnecting the battery. Unbeknownst to me, my dash cam reverted to default settings which resulted in the Park Mode not turning on for 10 minutes.

10 minutes. Turns out, that was the window of time that allowed some low life to avoid taking responsibility for hitting my car. No note. Nothing.

People suck.

My camera recorded everything, except for a 10 minute window between the time I parked, and when a silver Cadillac parked next to me. The Caddy was there when I discovered the damage, and its owner confirmed when they arrived and parked next to me...near the end of that dang 10 minute window. FYI, whatever hit me was stark white in color.

So far the damage appears to be primarily paint transfer and some scratches that look to be buff-able. I won't know for sure for a couple of days because I have to leave it as is (and it's driving my OCD off the charts) until the claims adjuster sees it.

People suck.

Normally, I wouldn't file a claim, just tackle the paint correction myself. But in this instance, both the plastic front end and the metal fender are affected, and I don't know if under all that white paint the black was rubbed off or the scrapes went through to the plastic/metal. My biggest concern is ensuring that any corrective painting blends to two together.

And I feel stupid for not double checking my dash cam settings (gee thanks OCD, where were you when I could have used you???)...a few seconds of anal-retentive double checking could have saved me 10 minutes of blankness that would have given me a target for my frustration.

Did I mention I'm feeling like People suck?
So this thread has been on my mind ever since I posted that last reply (don't be too disturbed, I often spend way too much time thinking about righting the wrongs inflicted upon others, especially fellow Challenger drivers...and let's face it, being a fellow Steelers fan doesn't hurt either. :weird:), and I've come up with a couple of things I wanted to make note of that could be done in an attempt to find the culprit here.

I readily admit that all of this is a long-shot and possibly not even feasible, depending upon your situation, but I figured it was at least worth making another post just in case something might prove useful.

1. See if you can still file a police report about the incident, and then get a printed copy of it as soon as possible (the reason for this one explained below).

2. Try to drive by the location and through the same parking lot of this incident as often as possible (once per day?) and look for any possible culprits.

There are several assumptions I would make for this one based upon the photos you posted:
- it's a car, not a truck, that did this.
- it's probably a larger/longer model of something as opposed to a compact or sub-compact type car.
- the damaged body panel is likely on the rear quarter panel, possibly the door and rear quarter panel both, but almost surely on the right side either way.
- the driver just might be an employee of one of the businesses that uses that parking lot (why else would they be parking way away from the front door(s) next to your car?).

So it is with those things in mind that, if it were me, I would try to patrol the parking lot where this happened as much as possible to look for possible culprits.

3. Once you have a hard copy of the police report, look up any spray & pray type body shops in the area that might be used by someone looking to get their car fixed for cash (no insurance) and as cheaply as possible. Any Maaco shops around town and in the adjacent counties would be good starting places. Hit them up, with police report in hand, and explain what happened and what kind of car you believe did it, and ask if they could keep an eye out for possible candidates.

I don't know how likely it is that any of the body shops would be willing to cooperate, but maybe you could get "a gentleman's agreement" to alert you by telling them the cops aren't doing anything and trying to garner a little empathy/sympathy. Most definitely a long shot, but hey, it can't hurt to ask.

Alright, that's the extent of my bright ideas so far...granted not all that bright, but ideas nonetheless, right? :thinkerg:

Good luck with everything,
Nuke

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
How would new parts help with this? It doesn't look like anything is bent?

That does suck, sorry it happened OP
Fender looks crunched and bent slightly to me, and I would speculate that there is some folding and warping of the plastic on the front bumper too. Having those repaired, repainted and re-installed would likely not end up perfect like it was before. That's why I said I hope he gets new pieces.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So this thread has been on my mind ever since I posted that last reply (don't be too disturbed, I often spend way too much time thinking about righting the wrongs inflicted upon others, especially fellow Challenger drivers...and let's face it, being a fellow Steelers fan doesn't hurt either. :weird:), and I've come up with a couple of things I wanted to make note of that could be done in an attempt to find the culprit here.

I readily admit that all of this is a long-shot and possibly not even feasible, depending upon your situation, but I figured it was at least worth making another post just in case something might prove useful.

1. See if you can still file a police report about the incident, and then get a printed copy of it as soon as possible (the reason for this one explained below).

2. Try to drive by the location and through the same parking lot of this incident as often as possible (once per day?) and look for any possible culprits.

There are several assumptions I would make for this one based upon the photos you posted:
- it's probably a larger/longer model of something as opposed to a compact or sub-compact type car.
- the damaged body panel is likely on the rear quarter panel, possibly the door and rear quarter panel both, but almost surely on the right side either way.
- the driver just might be an employee of one of the businesses that uses that parking lot (why else would they be parking way away from the front door(s) next to your car?).

So it is with those things in mind that, if it were me, I would try to patrol the parking lot where this happened as much as possible to look for possible culprits.

3. Once you have a hard copy of the police report, look up any spray & pray type body shops in the area that might be used by someone looking to get their car fixed for cash (no insurance) and as cheaply as possible. Any Maaco shops around town and in the adjacent counties would be good starting places. Hit them up, with police report in hand, and explain what happened and what kind of car you believe did it, and ask if they could keep an eye out for possible candidates.

I don't know how likely it is that any of the body shops would be willing to cooperate, but maybe you could get "a gentleman's agreement" to alert you by telling them the cops aren't doing anything and trying to garner a little empathy/sympathy. Most definitely a long shot, but hey, it can't hurt to ask.

Alright, that's the extent of my bright ideas so far...granted not all that bright, but ideas nonetheless, right? :thinkerg:

Nuke
Good ideas to keep in mind if it ever happens again...but I also will be keeping the ideas posted in your original comment saved for a "rainy" day. Only thing I would add is honey...there are many types of biting insects that live on or around cactus, and they're attracted to honey. Call it "nature's body disposal system"...>:)

Fender looks crunched and bent slightly to me, and I would speculate that there is some folding and warping of the plastic on the front bumper too. Having those repaired, repainted and re-installed would likely not end up perfect like it was before. That's why I said I hope he gets new pieces.
I feared there would be damage beneath the white paint, but there isn't. The pics below (poorly taken) were taken in my garage after a long day yesterday. I got my insurance carrier's body shop give me an estimate to repair and repaint ($859, minus my $500 deductible = $359) then took my car to another shop whose owner had previously volunteered to buff the paint off after I got the estimate, to see what damage was underneath.

The Mopar gods were watching over Renny that day. Except for a few chips around the very edge of the front facia, no damage to my paint. The shop buffed out the major mars to the clear, and I took her home and finished the paint correction and applied Dr. Colorchip to the few chips in paint...just a few more added to the many I have collected; my whole front end will need re-painting sometime down the road.

Attachments

Reactions: EricG

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts

Nuke
That was very thoughtful and kind to try and get to the dirt bag who hit and ran but legally speaking unless there was a video or eye witness nobody can be forced to pay the tab.
If something is missing from your house and there was workers there, you couldn't accuse anyone one of them unless you saw who removed it from the property as you can't hold them all accountable for something one did. You have to prove exactly who did it.
That situation happened to a neighbor of mine and as sympathetic as the police were they said there wasn't anything they can do other than file a report.
Good for the OP here as the car isn't dented.

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
That was very thoughtful and kind to try and get to the dirt bag who hit and ran but legally speaking unless there was a video or eye witness nobody can be forced to pay the tab.
If something is missing from your house and there was workers there, you couldn't accuse anyone one of them unless you saw who removed it from the property as you can't hold them all accountable for something one did. You have to prove exactly who did it.
That situation happened to a neighbor of mine and as sympathetic as the police were they said there wasn't anything they can do other than file a report.
Good for the OP here as the car isn't dented.
In that case I'd probably go with plan B:

Pay someone to befriend the gentleman with the explicit instructions to extract useful information over time and report back with anything that could be used to help enact some revenge.

Like if I knew their favorite sports team, I could start tieing a single red balloon to their car's antenna every time their favorite team lost a game/match/trial, and do it in the middle of the night so that they never knew who was doing it.

I would do that for a year or so, just enough time for their brain to start subconsciencely associating red balloons with a feeling of crushing loss.

And then I'd just stop...thereby leaving them to live the rest of their miserable life in perpetual fear of red balloons!!

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! >:)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hate to tell you what real life says about hit and runs. Unless you have proof positive....ie. video or an eyewitness willing to sign a statement that they saw such and such vehicle cause damage and or a honest confession.......you aren't gonna solve your hit/run. I am a law enforcement Officer who happens to have an auto body repair shop . I just got done fixing a door ding to my ride. It was a $1500 hit that I ended up running thru USAA. Its still not 100% correct. My new door decal doesn't match the quarter panel bill board. I'm not gonna give myself a coronary over it. If you drive your car and park in public places, expect the worst.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts