Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the Per4mance Development reduced clearance brace today.

I found a lot of how-tos and reviews on the standard brace when I googled it, but none for the reduced clearance brace, so I made one.

Step 1. Read the instructions and gather tools.

You’ll need a torque wrench, 10mm socket, ratchet, 5/8 or 16mm boxed end torque wrench adapter (or maybe a crow’s foot would work too?) and a short extension and maybe a 3/8” to 1/2” adapter. And a tape measure.

I used a 16mm boxed end wrench and a similar sized wrench to break the bolts loose by linking the wrenches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You’ll need to block the tires, jack the car up and support it. The next thing I did was break the bolts loose in the diff and then run the 8mm bolts into the cross-member to make sure the threads were clear. My threads had paint in them but they were otherwise clean and clear. Not all cars have these thread inserts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can see that the diff bolts are very close to the cross member. You’ll have to start both bolts into the diff brace and run them in slowly, switching back and forth. There is barely any room for a wrench on the driver’s side and no way to use a socket. The best way I figured was to use an open-end wrench to run them in. Leave the 16mm diff bolts a little loose so the brace can move to align the 8mm bolts and rubber isolator strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Turn the rubber strip so that it matches the shape of the brace. Slide it between the brace and cross-member. Put the supplied star washers and blue loc-tite on the 8mm bolts and thread them through the brace, rubber strip and into the frame threads by hand to make sure they don’t bind or cross thread. If your frame doesn’t have the inserts you’ll need to use the supplied nuts and drop them through the slots in the cradle. A stubby 13mm wrench will be handy to hold them while you tighten the bolts. You can see a gap in the first picture where the brace is not all the way pulled against the diff yet, but the 8mm bolts are tight. The instructions say to compress the rubber about 1mm by tightening the 8mm bolts (10mm head) but do not specify a torque amount.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now all that’s left to do is to tighten the large diff bolts to the specified 80ft lbs.

Snug them so that the brace pulls up against the diff. Make them hand tight.

In order to get a torque wrench on these bolts, I used a special boxed-end adapter. You may be able to use a crow’s foot adapter. Whenever you add adapters to a torque wrench, especially adapters that change the length of the lever on the torque wrench, you will need to do a bit of math to correct the torque wrench settings.

This calculator makes it easy:
https://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/calculator/torque_adapter_extension.htm

You’ll need the tape measure now to measure the length of your torque wrench and the length of any adapters you’re using. You can then plug those numbers in to generate the correct settings for your torque wrench.

Your calculation will change based on the effective length from the grip of the torque wrench to the center of the adapter. Which is a fancy way to say that the orientation of the adapter effects the torque applied.

In my case, the torque setting on the wrench needed to be 72ft lbs to acheive 80ft lbs with the adapter straight out.
At 90* it has little to no affect.

With a 16mm and 18mm boxed end wrench linked, you could get pretty close without the torque wrench if you have a good “mechanic’s feel”. But be aware that the threads in the diff are aluminum.... don’t strip them!

I marked the bolts per the instructions and test drove the car. I did 4 hard launches and spun the tires a little. I could not notice much difference in NVH or traction or even wheel hop. I think I might have heard a little more rear end whine than normal on the highway, but it is tough to say.

After driving, the bolts had not moved.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The crow’s foot may work, but I used the boxed-end adapter because I had it. I did test-fit the crow’s foot onto that bolt and it’s pretty tight against the brace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Great write-up and pics! Good info and thanks for sharing. I too have the brace installed. My Cat feels well-planted with none of the wheel-hop I used to experience. It's been on the Cat for 7 months and I had plenty of time to test in during optimum conditions. IMHO, well worth it and track proven!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

My car is an A8 Scat Pack. If I roll into the throttle a little too fast it will hop, barely. If I hit it hard it just spins. It’s only when I try to keep traction that hops. It may have been slightly better, but the road I test on was real dusty still from being salted a couple of weeks ago, so it’s hard to say for sure.

I bought it to help protect the diff when I slap on sticky tires, not to help with anything else. So I am satisfied. No negatives and it will protect the diff.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Thanks!

My car is an A8 Scat Pack. If I roll into the throttle a little too fast it will hop, barely. If I hit it hard it just spins. It’s only when I try to keep traction that hops. It may have been slightly better, but the road I test on was real dusty still from being salted a couple of weeks ago, so it’s hard to say for sure.

I bought it to help protect the diff when I slap on sticky tires, not to help with anything else. So I am satisfied. No negatives and it will protect the diff.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts this spring/summer when you will have a better chance on hooking up. That is where I notice the difference. Now mind you, I still spin but I do get more bite. I agree, the prime reason for me was to strengthen the mount points so that I don't break the differential housing. Keep us posted :grin2:.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
14 and earlier dif brace

Why has no one made one for the 2014 and earlier Getrag dif?

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Why has no one made one for the 2014 and earlier Getrag dif?
I am looking at it. and going to try to make one myself.. with the getrag there just is not alot of places to mount something like the zf diff

Reactions: 2014 Challenger R/T

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had this on the car a while now, including use with drag radials and on a prepared surface.

No difference in wheel hop or anything else. It's just back there silently protecting the diff. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had this on the car a while now, including use with drag radials and on a prepared surface.

No difference in wheel hop or anything else. It's just back there silently protecting the diff. Very satisfied.

My thoughts exactly! I know/see/feel no difference, but it can only help. Got mine for 150$ , pretty cheap peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts