Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Correct, especially on those tires. Those competitive pure stock racers are sneaky with how they mod their cars. I read a long article on them in Musclecar Review a few issues ago, I think they get to bore and stroke along with a lot other things. Those definitelty are not stock motors with just a fresh rebuild.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I disagree with you guys with the knowledge and tires of today they would run 11s.Tires and susp was the reason they didn't run that good in the day.
Agree that tires were very poor then, but they were no where near 11's in factory stock trim. It's quite disappointing when they put original 60's-70's muscle cars on a dyno. Although, they were using gross hp ratings then too. A couple that come to mind... a '68 Shelby GT500 with the 428 CJ put down 268 rwhp, and a '72 455 HO Trans Am put down 265 rwhp. Each dyno is different, but those numbers are in the ball park. When I lived in Michigan, I loved to go to the stock muscle car drags in Stanton (Mid-Michigan). Although the cars looked stock, many were a long way from being stock.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Nose high stance....

...like an old gasser.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Correct, especially on those tires. Those competitive pure stock racers are sneaky with how they mod their cars. I read a long article on them in Musclecar Review a few issues ago, I think they get to bore and stroke along with a lot other things. Those definitelty are not stock motors with just a fresh rebuild.

These cars are part of Pure Stock Drags. The cars have to be equipped with Stock Carbs (Jetting ok), Stock Intake Manifold, Cam within 2% of stock specs, Stock Heads, Stock Block - but can bored up to .070 over and use pistons within 1.5 points of stock compression, Stock exhaust manifolds, stock wheels and stock size non-drag tires.

Also, stock transmission (shift kit allowed if automatic). No line lock, No trans brake, No manual valve body, No Torque converter with higher than 2200 rpm stall

1 - 12 of 12 Posts