Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I sold my motorcycle to get a car that was more all weather I knew I would also be using car seats for my kids in it. Some people give me this look when I tell them I love having car seats in the back of my challenger, but I really do. I have two boys, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old, and they LOVED my motorcycle. When they found out it was being sold they were devastated. But when I brought my "race car" home their eyes lit up again! They were so excited to still have a fast machine to help daddy clean and work on. I like having car seats in the back because it means that I have that bonding experience with my boys, who are growing up appreciating cars and spending time learning from me and with me, and won't always be inside in front of a tv. So do any of you have your beloved challenger make its back seat a home for your kids? If so I hope they enjoy it as much as my children and I do!

Reactions: URHeel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Haven't put one in the back of the car yet. But my granddaughter is coming with us for Christmas so one will be going in the back Christmas morning.............................Something I could never do in the Vette. So I am pretty happy about that.

Do you put anything down on the seat before dropping the car seat in?:wiggle:

Paul

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
One of my best memories was when I owned a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS. I had a full tank of gas and a baby seat in the back. I raced a Porsche from light to light and smoked him with my 330 foot pounds of torque and no tire spin. The car was huge and heavy but fast as hell ( for its time).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't put one in the back of the car yet. But my granddaughter is coming with us for Christmas so one will be going in the back Christmas morning.............................Something I could never do in the Vette. So I am pretty happy about that.

Do you put anything down on the seat before dropping the car seat in?:wiggle:

Paul
Yes there are seat protectors you can place under the car seats. My oldest son only needs a booster seat so we got him one with flames on it cause he said it matched daddy's race car. I also got the lighter weight ones in my car and the heavy duty ones in my wife's CRV since we don't do long road trips with the boys in my car. They both get so excited to ride in it, and the recognize any other challengers as looking like my car. They have a great eye for vis-recce!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My kids are 5 and 3 and always ask if we take the Challenger. The rear seat room was the main reason I got the Challenger over the Camaro and Mustang (plus it looked more BadA--!). They love when I gun it. My hope is that they will grow up with the same love of cars that I do. My dream is to get a classic car someday and have them help me rebuild it. Sounds like your kids have that love already. That's awesome!

Reactions: Luckyshot

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
I sure remember those days when mine were that young, hope you enjoy every second with them.
Both of my kids are old enough to drive mine now, how fast that time went.
I bet their friends think they have a cool Dad with his car.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I love your post - coincidentally, I also have 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old boys. Their primary transportation is our SUV, but when my wife and I take them out on individual dates they always fight over who gets to ride in Daddy's car. I do have a no food or drinks rule and I put down a car seat protector; there have been no ill effects at all. I love teaching them about cars and taking them out for drives.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love your post - coincidentally, I also have 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old boys. Their primary transportation is our SUV, but when my wife and I take them out on individual dates they always fight over who gets to ride in Daddy's car. I do have a no food or drinks rule and I put down a car seat protector; there have been no ill effects at all. I love teaching them about cars and taking them out for drives.
Yeah my kids always want to ride with daddy when we take both vehicles, my wife always glares at me jokingly! I'm surprised how they will sit in my car without the food and drinks and stuff they have in our other car just because they want to ride in it. They love going to places like Freddy's Frozen Custard that use the old 50's style Americana atmosphere. The car has been worth it just for the bonding experience alone.

Reactions: jaelliott

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a booster seat in mine for my 6 year old. At first we tried the middle position so he could see out the windshield better, but that hump and console so far backward took away all his foot room and made him uncomfortable. So now he sits on the passenger side and it's a little bit more comfortable but now he can't see anything because of the terrible B-pillar and small quarter glass and small rear glass. I can't wait for the day that he is old enough to ride up front so he can actually enjoy the car with me. Right now I honestly feel a little guilty every time I squeeze him in the back like a sardine.

If the other two older boys need to ride, we actually take my wife's MINI Cooper because it has more foot room in the rear than my Challenger. But one day I hope my son will learn to appreciate cars like the Challenger and it'll be a source of enjoyment for us both.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Recently switched from a car seat to booster for my 5 year old. With the car seat
and now the booster I used a dark grey bath mat underneath them to protect the
seats. My 5 year old loves riding in the Challenger. When it's just me and him I
remove the front headrest so he can see better. When my wife asked him if he's
going to drive it when he gets older he said yes but if she wants a ride "she's going
to have to hold on". priceless.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's pretty cool, just neat that you're involving your sons and get so excited about it. Sounds like you're a great Dad...

Reactions: Luckyshot

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a booster seat in mine for my 6 year old. At first we tried the middle position so he could see out the windshield better, but that hump and console so far backward took away all his foot room and made him uncomfortable. So now he sits on the passenger side and it's a little bit more comfortable but now he can't see anything because of the terrible B-pillar and small quarter glass and small rear glass. I can't wait for the day that he is old enough to ride up front so he can actually enjoy the car with me. Right now I honestly feel a little guilty every time I squeeze him in the back like a sardine.

If the other two older boys need to ride, we actually take my wife's MINI Cooper because it has more foot room in the rear than my Challenger. But one day I hope my son will learn to appreciate cars like the Challenger and it'll be a source of enjoyment for us both.
I felt the same way you do. I couldn't afford to have a third car, and even though I miss my Challenger -- my kids were worth a close second... I bought a new Super Bee :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
410 Posts
Brought my son home from the hospital in a 2010 Challenger SE. Been riding in that one or a 2008 Challenger SRT8 to this day. He is now 4 years old and has a booster seat in the back. He loves it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 5 year old daughter loves her car seat in the back seat of Rose. I have a towel and a folded yoga mat. (yeah I said YOGA, a freebie from the sis-in-law). She does miss her sunroof with the Mini Cooper S, that was traded in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 4 y/o son loves riding in the R/T. He also admonishes anyone that rides in the car not to make a mess....
Haha same with my kids. Teach em right from the get go!

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is my 2 yr old grandson, Riley, attending his first car show in front of my '68. When the new SRT shows up, he'll absolutely have a spot in the back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts