Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year All!

I am looking to upgrade the sound to my 13 RT. I eventually will be getting a full exhaust catback system, but for the mean time to make it sound more aggressive, I would like to install a flowmaster or borla muffler.

My question is can this be a simple upgrade (i.e. have the muffler shop chop of the old one and weld the new ones up)? Or is the piping going to be a different diameter with an aftermarket muffler upgrade? I want to retain as much of the current piping as possible, to include the factory tips, for the time being.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Nick

·
Registered
535 Posts
Seems like a real PITA to do it at home. You would have to cut the factory pipes, add in new pipe & mufflers. Doing all this on your back, good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't really have intentions of doing it myself... I'll go to a muffler shop. Just trying to avoid the $1300 cat back option until the summer. I have heard some clips this morning about reso delete and blastin bobs reso deletes with glass packs and I think it's the most cost effective option to produce a good sound until I get a real system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my opinion, why would you essentially "waste" the money to do a minor exhaust mods now when you plan on getting a full cat back within the next 6 months or so? I would think it would be more beneficial to save the money you would use and put towards the cat back. Just my opinion though....

·
Registered
535 Posts
JBA S.S cat back $500

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed a DynoMax Ultra Flo CatBack on my wife's R/T Classic.

I bought it in pieces, pipes came from Advance Auto (I used their discount code for $50 off $125 & free shipping) #53716 X pipe was $81, #55495 & 55496 tailpipes were $82 ea., I got the mufflers #17229 & band clamps from RockAuto, that ran me $188.85....total price was $432.72, the kit runs about $650 from Summit Racing or Jegs.

Plus DynoMax has a 90 day buy it back warranty on it if you don't like it for any reason, plus a lifetime warranty on the complete system.

I didn't know if I would like the Ultra Flo or not, I thought about using their Super Turbo (I have them on 3 other cars) or their VT's, I figured I could use any of these mufflers with the other pipes, their is only a inch or two difference in muffler lengths. But after installing the Ultra Flo's it sounds great.

I have a post somewhere on this site, I will try to get some sound clips of it ASAP.

Reactions: Nikali83

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nikali, Your 13 has a good free flowing stock muffler that is a straight through design, along with nice stainless pipes. The bad part is the resonators are restrictive, and suck. If you replace them with straight through glass pack mufflers it will sound great. I installed the Magnaflow axle back kit that used your stock tips. It sounds great with no drone. As you can see in the photo, the Magnaflow sure is nicer than the stock system.

Attachments

Reactions: Nikali83

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dodgehemi61. I was thinking of doing the glass pack setup After doing my research... Saw a kit from Blastin Bobs but I have have never heard of them... I know flow master, magma and Borla.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks dodgehemi61. I was thinking of doing the glass pack setup After doing my research... Saw a kit from Blastin Bobs but I have have never heard of them... I know flow master, magma and Borla.

You are welcome.
I like the fact that after I had the rear wheels on the ramps, they only took 30 minutes to install. Plus it is all stainless steel, so you will only do it once. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update. I am taking Renfrick up on the offer, and purchased his pypes mufflers. I listened to a few clips online and really liked the sound. Being that I am not buying a full kit, just mufflers, looking for some advice.
Should I just swap the mufflers out, or are the resonators still going to restrict the sound. I am thinking of having the resonators replaced with straight pipe... It seems the general consensus on this forum is the resonators on the M6's are better left in a box in your garage. Thoughts?
Thanks again fellas and ladies.
Nick

·
Registered
535 Posts
So an update. I am taking Renfrick up on the offer, and purchased his pypes mufflers. I listened to a few clips online and really liked the sound. Being that I am not buying a full kit, just mufflers, looking for some advice.
Should I just swap the mufflers out, or are the resonators still going to restrict the sound. I am thinking of having the resonators replaced with straight pipe... It seems the general consensus on this forum is the resonators on the M6's are better left in a box in your garage. Thoughts?
Thanks again fellas and ladies.
Nick

When I was looking into cat back systems I called my local exhaust shop, they said stay away from pypes. Worst fitting kits they have installed

·
Registered
420 Posts
i went with a flowmaster kit and am very happy with it...in hind site i would have just did my own resonator delete....and saved some coin with the same results IMO.....

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Did you leave the center mufflers on your vehicle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts