Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there were any negatives to putting an SRT diameter exhaust system on an R/T.

So there would be SRT headers from a donor car, then high flow cats, then a cat back system, all piping would be 2.75" diameter system instead of the 2.5" stock R/T exhaust of course.

An alternative option, if that would give me more power, would be aftermarket headers specific for the R/T (say JBA shorties), then high flow cats and a cat back system, but all in the stock R/T diameter - 2.5"

I have a Diablo Trinity tuner and would take the car to a dyno to get a proper tune if that makes a difference on which exhaust system would provide better for performance for the R/T.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
You would obviously get better exhaust flow by going with the bigger diameter, i dont think you need it though. You would benefit from it a lot more if you had a supercharger or some type of forced induction. Since you dont IMO you should go with the jba shorties etc.

If you do go that route, and can wait a couple of months i will be selling my jba shorties, jba hi flow catted mids, and flowmaster force II catback. This setup has about 12K miles on it. Would do a good package deal on it all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have SRT8 headers and Magna Flow HFC and Corsa R/T cat back. I just opened up the mids to fit OVER the R/T size pipe. Just be careful as the pipes may split if the person running the bender is not careful. I cut 2 small slot on the cat pipe so the band clamp could make a good seal.

I run a Fastman TB and a canned Diablo tune.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I have SRT8 headers and Magna Flow HFC and Corsa R/T cat back. I just opened up the mids to fit OVER the R/T size pipe. Just be careful as the pipes may split if the person running the bender is not careful. I cut 2 small slot on the cat pipe so the band clamp could make a good seal.

I run a Fastman TB and a canned Diablo tune.

Nice numbers. I have the same mods aside from jba shorties vs. the srt8 and a 180T and a LMI Hammer CAI. I have not dyno'd but i think i would be close to what you are showing. I am running a custom tune from hemifever also. My numbers should be close to that. Sweet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So no problems with reduced back pressure? Or is your set-up a situation where the Corsa Cat-back is actually providing the required back-pressure as it reduces the diameter?

I have seen some posts predicting the lack of back pressure could cause some kind of performance issue, maybe a dip in power at a certain RPM?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do go that route, and can wait a couple of months i will be selling my jba shorties, jba hi flow catted mids, and flowmaster force II catback. This setup has about 12K miles on it. Would do a good package deal on it all.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in a time crunch. Can't wait.

·
Registered
988 Posts
So no problems with reduced back pressure? Or is your set-up a situation where the Corsa Cat-back is actually providing the required back-pressure as it reduces the diameter?

I have seen some posts predicting the lack of back pressure could cause some kind of performance issue, maybe a dip in power at a certain RPM?
That;s why I went with the 5.7 Corsa system and not the 6.1.

dyno run

1 - 7 of 7 Posts