Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have begun doing minor performance mods on her 2017 Challenger RT 5.7 with Super Track Pack to support the addition of a Supercharger in the next few months.
So far we've added the Scat Pack stage 1 and 2 packages and a Diablo tuner.
I purchased and want to add the stage 3 package, but while reading available info found that it would make the vehicle illegal for street use. Actually the stage 2 package makes it illegal but after running the emissions the vehicle still comes within standards.
Some questions I still have for anyone running a stage 3 kit are as follows:
Has the emissions failed?
If so did you fix or adjust it so the vehicle would pass?
How did you achieve this?
Are front and/or rear strut tower braces useful or needed At 550p?
I'm not new to high output forced induction systems as I presently have a 2011 Chevy truck with a Vortec supercharger netting 587hp, a 1999 Toyota TRD 4X4 with TRD Supercharger getting 420hp, 19' Glastron ski boat with a GM 383 and Vortec supercharger getting anyones guess at horsepower, but other than dropping a calibrated GM 4.3 in my wifes 93 Wrangler this is my first experience at modifying a Chrysler product. I know enough to know that with modern engines and electronics not all vehicle makes respond the same to performance mods and sometimes you can do mods that slow a vehicle down instead of speed up. So any pointers here?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,851 Posts
550hp at the wheels on a 5.7...you are going to need a minimum of forced induction >10psi and forged pistons...rods too. Long tube headers would be a good idea too. Also you might need to beef up the automatic trans...the manuals can take more. I looked at the SP stage 1 - 3 and for $/hp they don't give the bang for the buck compared to forced induction. Although, best bang for the buck is to pickup a used HC. A lot of vendors are now offering systems at discounted prices. On my 2015 5.7 I went with an 8psi maggie and I am adding long tube headers. That should net me near a consistent 500hp at the wheels and puts me at $41k (FI+catback+headers+ $31k out the door price on the car). Check here for dyno runs of various builds by API and the components that were used to get those numbers to get an idea.

shopHEMI.com

Not sure about the braces but I don't have either and car still handles corners surprisingly well...if you can prevent the ass end from spinning. As for emissions, I think magnuson kits are CARB compliant...I should know but I really don't care if it is or isn't as IL emissions only looks for pending/existing OBD2 codes. :grin2: Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Texas emissions aren't terrible, but while building my Tacoma I learned the expensive way that there are some pitfalls to building a street legal forced induction system.
Normally I wouldn't have purchased the stage 1-3 package, but a vendor that supplies my brothers automotive shop had a Beeliever package they had purchased for a build to help demonstrate there products, the new Demons came out they purchased one and their project was stopped and the car sold. I got the package for $3600, normal retail is $7999.
I also purchased a new Magnussen Supercharger kit (TVS2300) for an additional $2700 from the abandoned project.
After more research I'm not sure how deep I'll go into the build, but I do know at this point I don't want to disassemble the engine any further to build it up so I'll probably hold off on forced induction and drive it like it is, for now. The car only has 1700 miles so an engine build just doesn't seem right yet.
We will be running it on my brothers dyno in the near future to get a good tune on it.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
You may run into tuning issues since the stage kits require tuning from Arrow Racing and I'm not sure if they can help with a supercharger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts