Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chin Spoiler Question

Has anyone permanently removed the chin spoiler on their Challenger? Can this even be done without having it look goofy like something is missing? The reason I ask is I saw a picture of this Challenger and it doesn't have a chin spoiler and it looks very clean IMO. I like it, at least on this car. This was a concept car in 2006 by Marc Rozman. Has anyone done this and if so do you have any pics?

Striping Question

I'm considering going with white hood stripes on my black SE and I've seen various types of stripes. I haven't seen a black Challenger with White hood stripes, so I'm not sure how it will look but I think it will look good. I'm guessing the stripes are in a matte finish?

I like the two piece hood stripe that starts at the front of the hood and widens at the top (see sample picture which actually has silver stripes) (forgive me, I'm a rookie and I don't know the correct terminology for this stuff, but I'm learning). If I go with this type of striping is it standard to also continue the striping on the roof and trunk? Or just the hood and trunk? Or just the hood? Or is it basically whatever I like? I've been sorting through various pictures but I think I'm going with the two piece hood stripe and the trunk stripe. Is this the standard?

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The chin spoiler connects to the belly pan and oil pan cover along the underbelly. It also reinforces the plastic bumper molding.

I would say that it would not be a good idea to remove it.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
the front spoiler interlaces with and provides support for the entire front fascia under the grille - you cant remove it

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
The front chin spoiler, yeah it would look very funny without it. It isn't a finished piece without that, it would just look bare/raw. There seems to be a couple different options in the works, but nothing that removes the chin spoiler. Aero is also something to think about, as I'm pretty sure that controls a lot of downforce and might be dangerous at speed without it.

As far as the stripes, go with what you want. There isn't really any standard. From the factory, they made rally stripes from over the roof to the trunk, and they also had just hood stripes. Rider graphix has a ton of options and I'm sure would have a black car with white hood stripes in their gallery to see.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you want your car to look like ass then I say remove the chin spoiler. If you want it to look badass then keep it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here is mine...

I am actually considering removing them though because they high contrast might be a bit too much for me. It is a bold statement, so make sure its what you really want.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had 2 similar versions of rally stripes on my black challenger. Original was narrower and was 'top stripe' from the top of the nose to the spoiler. Replacement was full nose to tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had 2 similar versions of rally stripes on my black challenger. Original was narrower and was 'top stripe' from the top of the nose to the spoiler. Replacement was full nose to tail.
I like the narrower top stripe. It is high contrast, but I like it. Well done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is mine...

I am actually considering removing them though because they high contrast might be a bit too much for me. It is a bold statement, so make sure its what you really want.
Thanks for the pictures. This is the first one I've seen stripped like you did with the wider top stripe. Someone else posted in this thread a black Challenger with thinner top stripe and I think I definitely prefer the thinner stripe. Your car still looks awesome, but I agree it's a big contrast with the two colors. Thank you for proving the picture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more I look at your pics, the more I like the full nose to tail stripes! Now I'm really confused! Ha! Do you have any pics of the rear of the vehicle with the full stripes? Thanks again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I actually hate the chin spoiler. Talk about non functional plastic :/

the idea that it is "functional" for daily driving situations is not very good. The wind shield will provide adequate down force; a piece of plastic hanging off the bottom? not necessary.

Did the 1970 challenger need a plastic under spoiler? Why do I?

If someone makes a good delete kit I will be all over it. I want my 1.5 inches of ground clearance back.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
Hey Chris :)

that particular car is a one off and they would have had to build a sub framing unit to hold the front fascia together - ANYONE who has swapped out an SE or RT spoiler for an SRT spoiler will tell you HOW the spoiler is interlaced with the front bodywork and radiator support

you CAN remove the spoiler but you HAVE to replace it with a CUSTOM subframe and a lot of bodywork to fill the interlacing slots

I would charge BEAUCOUP bucks for that one!!

on second thoughts - I would tell the owner to have someone else do it because I would NOT warranty the work

·
Registered
339 Posts
I remember reading a magazine article referencing the chin spoiler.

The Challenger designer stated something to the effect that the design of the front fascia, much as it is similar to the 1970 design, shares the same propensity for excessive lift at highway speeds. This is because the air gets trapped in the grille opening (shaped like a scoop as it is), which is forced upwards, thereby lifting the front of the vehicle. When this happens, the front suspension gets unloaded, and directional stability decreases as the caster of the front end is changed.

If you've ever seen an older musclecar at speed, you'll see what I mean.
The solution they found was to incorporate a chin spoiler. After adding that feature, front end stability was markedly improved overall. A further gain to stability was noticed when they increased the spoiler area to include the front "spats" that flare outwards to the front wheelhouse.

This in actuality is all old tech. Looking at the 1970-era Trans-Am and Grand National racecars, you'll see the same feature being used with success way back then.

To remove this chin spoiler eliminates the benefits of this design feature.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Ghost, good to see you posting like normal now lol

This car was actually built (engine performance wise) by SHR, and while I was down there getting my custom tune he mentioned that once they got it past 180 the wind basically just ripped it off. I don't believe this was the look they were entending lol. Actually Karl/Lowwlife had the same problem, once he hit 175mph in the mile the wind took his front spoiler off. I never heard of them having a problem with bumper or frame support.

I myself havn't swapped the spoilers..yet ;)
So I'm sure you know more about it than I, I just thought I'd show him what it looks like lol

Hey Chris :)

that particular car is a one off and they would have had to build a sub framing unit to hold the front fascia together - ANYONE who has swapped out an SE or RT spoiler for an SRT spoiler will tell you HOW the spoiler is interlaced with the front bodywork and radiator support

you CAN remove the spoiler but you HAVE to replace it with a CUSTOM subframe and a lot of bodywork to fill the interlacing slots

I would charge BEAUCOUP bucks for that one!!

on second thoughts - I would tell the owner to have someone else do it because I would NOT warranty the work

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 20 of 24 Posts