Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people at Petty's Garage are a special breed. They all have extensive race car experience. They draw from a collective knowledge base that is deep. Their quality of work is what you would expect from a company that carries the name of a legend. If you are an automotive enthusiast Petty's Garage should be a destination location.

Petty's Garage is preparing a Challenger for a run at Gingerman in South Haven. The bench mark for performance is 1:33 or several seconds faster than a Z06 Corvette. We have already reached that level with the Camaro and Mustang. Working with the Petty's Garage TEAM we are confident we will meet and exceed our targets with Petty Edition Challenger Supercar to re-write the headline and the record book.

This is our project car. It is a 'base' Petty Edition Challenger in the same way the Air Force starts with a 'base' F-22 Raptor. Greg Steadman and his crew will be putting a sharper edge on it.

We need more grip up front. We will change the tires and wheels for a more track friendly 19x10.5 wheel with Bridgestone RE-11 305/30/19s all around.

The Petty rear triangulated tower bar is well designed to provide more stability in the monocoque. The more stable the 'chassis' the better for suspension function. To reach the performance level we have set as our target we will need the car to operate almost perfectly.

The Petty front triangulated brace is as important as the rear. You can see in more clearly in another photo. We also will need to feed as much cool ambient air to the HEMI as possible making the scoop and intake Mission Critical.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In real estate it is location, location and location. On track it is grip, grip and grip. The function of the suspension is to keep the tire in solid contact with the track surface. When the suspension is working at peak efficiency we need the tires to operate at the same level. Our drivers have all said the same thing. Bridgestone RE-11s are the best street / track tire they have driven. Fitting the 305/30/RE-11s was interesting. Working with the TEAM at Petty and Dave Schardt at Forgeline we were able to work out the correct offsets front and rear.

We will be running the new GA3R wheels from Forgeline with a black center and polishes shells. The GA3R wheels have "I-Beamed Spoke" technology that reduces weight and applies additional strength in rigidity within the spokes of the wheel. The hidden titanium assembly hardware not only gives it a smooth clean look, but also functions to ease the efforts of cleaning the wheel. In addition, the GA3R features an enlarged open center area for quick and easy lug nut removal. Another feature of the GA3R is the design of the center allows plenty of room for caliper clearance for the Petty Brembo GT brake fitment. Forgeline also employs a new, proprietary, fast drying, super strength sealer for quick and easy repairs as well as it being highly resistant to leaks.

The front suspension geometry made the fit interesting. We arrived at front and rear offsets that alter the track. The OE front is 160CM and the rear 160.2CM. With the new wheels the front track is 165.1CM and the rear track is 163.45CM. The wider track will add stability all around while the increase in the front to rear track will reduce understeer.

They fit. under the OE body work with not rub under full suspension articulation. While we are taking this Petty Supercar to the track, it will be a street car built to Petty standards. That means no rubbing, no rattles and no squeaks. Our goal is the ultimate HEMI hot rod Challenger that Chrysler would build if they were not limited by production constraints.

Pedders partnership with Pettys Garage will build on the already outstanding performance of a Pedderised Challenger. Call it Pedders on Petty steroids. Every Petty suspension will be street civil, but if there is a refinement to a bush, coil or damper that will improve performance it is being made. For the Petty Supercar, every bush will be replaced, along with coilovers, sway bars and endlinks complimented by triangulated chassis braces. A Petty Supercar deserves nothing less.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205274_213191922029426_100000158585997_952727_2836729_n.jpg

I can't wait for this project to move from the shop to the street and track. As we continue with this build the thread will be updated. When we get to Gingerman the thread will be updated. Did I say i can't wait???

Petty's Garage Petty's Garage - Performance Vehicles since 1949 is part custom shop, part race shop and part automotive museum. The shop is spotless. The work is as good as I have seen. That is what you would expect from a shop named Petty. What takes you by surprise is how friendly, how humble the people at Petty's Garage are. They treated me like a king and my name is not Richard Petty.

Thank you all for your hospitality!

·
Banned
903 Posts
I also have been dealing with Greg Stedman and I will be taking my SRT8 to them in May for the Petty's coil overs, sway bars, all bushings and alignment. Gred is very helpful and great to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts