Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which Petty's Garage strut brace to get. Single or Double.

Is the double worth the extra money? Thanks.

Also, please don't mention getting Speedlogix brace instead. I don't want it.

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Personally, I would go with the double.

I have the Mopar on the front, but IMO, the Petty rear 4 point is what I consider the best design/quality on the market.

Hard to beat the quality of Petty bracing, and they are good folks to deal with,

Reactions: MuscleCarProf

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would go with the double.

I have the Mopar on the front, but IMO, the Petty rear 4 point is what I consider the best design/quality on the market.

Hard to beat the quality of Petty bracing, and they are good folks to deal with,
That's why I want one of the Petty braces. I just don't really like the look of the Mopar that much. He built his name around racing Mopars, I know the engineering and testing behind Petty's parts will be the best.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Yes, their build quality is outstanding IMO. Top quality, NASCAR type welds, and I've never had any fitment issues with installing the rear 4 point bracing.

Looks are subjective, but to your original question, if you have the extra bucks, I would go with the double brace from them.

Best of luck and enjoy the beast!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Go with the double. I have one myself and like it. Got it painted to match the car.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
From the research I've done, Petty's Garage is great and anything they engineer should be as well. I'd go with the double. Never hurts to have it over engineered.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never hurts to have it over engineered.
Tell that to my wife. She would disagree, say's I over engineer everything.

She's kinda right though lol... I do... Being a mechanical engineer, I don't know how to not over engineer anything...

Reactions: MuscleCarProf

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,639 Posts
Explain to her all the failures they showed you when you were in school. Over engineering is just safety :D

A Guy

Reactions: mcm95403

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered the double last night in red. Should add a nice touch to match the red brakes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received the brace today. First off it looks top notch. Fit and finish is amazing. And obviously, I had to install it right when I got home from work. Install went very well, and is super simple. As I haven’t seen anyone put how to install this in a thread figured I would.

1. Remove old nuts and strut covers, then put masking tape over the cowl brace.
2. Year for the brace, then tighten down the bolts and mark the center hole on the cowl.
3. Now remove the brace and drill the hole. First all the way through with a 1/4” drill bit. Then just the first side with a 5/16” drill bit. (I went up to a 21/64” because the shoulder bolt was too large to fit in the 5/16” hole. Bolt measured 0.318” so it wouldn’t fit, no big deal, just went 1/64” bigger.)
4. Then reinstall the brace, and put the center shoulder bolt in and torque to 15 ft-lb, it was a socket head cap screw so I didn’t have anything to torque it with. Just made it to what I think would be good. I’ll recheck after I make a trip to harbor frieght and get a set of standard hex sockets.
5. Install the six strut bolts and torque to 35 ft-lbs

This went super quick. With my wife’s help, I finished in about 30 minutes. Here’s some pics of the results. I ordered it in Tor-red and it looks like the same exact color Brembo uses on the brakes. I wish my catch can was a lighter shade of red but oh well. I would recccomend this brace just on ease of install alone. I’ve heard horror stories about the speedlogox brace and am so glad I bought the double brace from Petty.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Covers?

I received the brace today. First off it looks top notch. Fit and finish is amazing. And obviously, I had to install it right when I got home from work. Install went very well, and is super simple. As I haven’t seen anyone put how to install this in a thread figured I would.

1. Remove old nuts and strut covers, then put masking tape over the cowl brace.
2. Year for the brace, then tighten down the bolts and mark the center hole on the cowl.
3. Now remove the brace and drill the hole. First all the way through with a 1/4” drill bit. Then just the first side with a 5/16” drill bit. (I went up to a 21/64” because the shoulder bolt was too large to fit in the 5/16” hole. Bolt measured 0.318” so it wouldn’t fit, no big deal, just went 1/64” bigger.)
4. Then reinstall the brace, and put the center shoulder bolt in and torque to 15 ft-lb, it was a socket head cap screw so I didn’t have anything to torque it with. Just made it to what I think would be good. I’ll recheck after I make a trip to harbor frieght and get a set of standard hex sockets.
5. Install the six strut bolts and torque to 35 ft-lbs

This went super quick. With my wife’s help, I finished in about 30 minutes. Here’s some pics of the results. I ordered it in Tor-red and it looks like the same exact color Brembo uses on the brakes. I wish my catch can was a lighter shade of red but oh well. I would recccomend this brace just on ease of install alone. I’ve heard horror stories about the speedlogox brace and am so glad I bought the double brace from Petty.

Were the factory covers for the strut towers able to be reinstalled?
Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Were the factory covers for the strut towers able to be reinstalled?
Thanks
Yes. And contrary to what everyone says they werr able to be reinstalled without modification. Take a look at the pics, there is one with them installed on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looked like it

Yes. And contrary to what everyone says they werr able to be reinstalled without modification. Take a look at the pics, there is one with them installed on it.

I thought it looked like it. I am a new member it won't let me look at attachments until I get 10 posts. This is number 10 so maybe I can see it now. Also see you are from GA. too.:grin2: What parts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought it looked like it. I am a new member it won't let me look at attachments until I get 10 posts. This is number 10 so maybe I can see it now. Also see you are from GA. too.:grin2: What parts?
Peachtree City. About an hour south of Atlanta.

·
Registered
15 Posts
looks good bud. i'd see about getting someone to color match the catch can. it would bring it together so good. thanks for the step by step too

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm considering the single strut brace from Petty's garage. Wish they had the pictures for them. I'm probably gonna get a B5, but I wish they had a high polished one like my catch can.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts