Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
• 2020 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Challenger, it already had the Phantom Grille (upper and lower) installed. I don't really care for it. It reminds me too much of the classic Camaros. No offense to Camaros, but I own a Challenger, not a Camaro.
Anyway, I would like to figure out a way to remove them without taking the entire front bumper off.
I know that the Phantom Grille is just held on by just four toggle bolts. The trick is trying to figure out a way to reach behind the car's grill and hold those toggle bolts still while undoing the screws then getting the toggle bolt out.
I suppose I could just unscrew the screws and let the toggle drop. But, will the toggle eventually find it's way out or will it rattle around behind the grille and under-body panel forever.Unfortunately, I don't have a lift or ramps (right now) so I have not looked at the under-body to see what that looks like at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently did the same thing myself. Takes just a few minutes.

Take a very long screwdriver (I used a 2 foot one) and place it between the grille slats and loosen the screws holding it in place. While doing this, apply gentle pressure on the grille, pulling towards you/away from the car.

You'll have to work back and forth on all 4 screws, loosening each one a little bit at a time before moving to the next one. With each screw apply the same pressure towards you on that corner of the grille. This pressure allows for the screws to unscrew from the clamps behind the factory grille, otherwise they just get a bit loose and then will just spin the clamp.

I had 3 of the clamps fall directly under the car and onto the concrete below. I never found the fourth one, but it probably fell out on it's own on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
634 Posts
I think they look great but I am slightly biased. You shouldn't have any trouble selling them once you get them off. That being said, where I bought my car installed mine and they tried what they could to install it without taking off the nose but they ended up having to to do it right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, you would definitely have to remove the bumper to install one. I'm glad I was able to figure out how to remove it without doing that.

I liked the look, but being able to move it up and down and bang on the bumper wasn't acceptable to me. Maybe it was a cheap eBay one that the previous owner installed on mine...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts