Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the fall of last year I decided to pick up a 72 Challenger it wasn't in bad shape but after driving it for a month I decided I wanted to give it the once over. Well the person that did the work took alot of short cuts and his body work and paint was pitiful. Also seeing as it wasn't a classic with matching numbers it will be a resto-mod this should be fun I'm going to keep the small block 408 stroker with auto trans 3500 stall, 3:23 spool differential.
some pics from picking her up in Michgan

A little history I have found was that from 78 until 2008 it was in GA being drag raced. The original color was B5

out to the drag strip was a lot of fun let my son run it his first time consistent 12.8 all day long the tires cooked off the line...

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Body Shop

Dropped her off at my buddy's shop to freshen her up pics to follow

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Congrats Jeff!!! Just what you needed, another money pit. :D

Can't wait to see the final pics.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I'm watching this thread very closely. Resto-mod Cudas are going cheap too ;)

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine

408 stroker with a 592 lift cam engine is solid but needs lot's of detail work done we will be removing the motor so that we can go through it and detail the engine bay.
before

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Body Shop

At the shop and starting to disassemble

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats ! Would love to see thge original B5 again !!
The thought had crossed my mind but I'm going to keep it sublime and seeing as everything was pretty well chopped up and filled so we've decided to keep everything shaved and smooth it looks like we have a lot of work ahead of us BTW we started working on the car in December I will be sharing more pics and everything we discovered also it has taken awhile to get the parts...

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Great car, congrats

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has turned into more of a project than anticipated but I knew it going in as we started to strip her down we found many issues with the work previously done....

some of the work after stripped down loaded with mud and patches

the decision was easy were getting new sheet metal...

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cutting her apart and repairing all the stuff done wrong over the years

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and more it just keeps getting better...

now that she's all apart we will start cleaning up all of the rust

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow looks like you are going all out on it,i had a 73 440 and it was a lot of fun so i know you will enjoy it
oh it's turning into a labor of love and as I keep moving forward I buying more parts all the sheet metal is purchased all new body plugs, weatherstripping, mirrors, new glass, suspension, Painless wiring, new door poppers, braided lines, an fittings.... and I haven't even finished the interior design and the stereo system :drink4::drink4::drink4:

·
Registered
149 Posts
So this is where chevy guys have the advantage, all they need is the vin number off one in a junk yard and they can buy every part at a good price...Mopar's not so much, but well worth the time and money when its finished!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
There are always surprises when you start tearing into these old beauties. My Road Runner cost me almost double what I budgeted due to surprises, etc.

I can't wait to see more pics and then the final product. :D

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rust inhibitor has been applied and this stuff is amazing :)

fixed up the trunk area

1 - 20 of 433 Posts