Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on doing new wheels when this time came around. But apparently saving for a wedding is more important... so life wins this round and I’m just doing tires for now.
I’ve narrowed down to these 3. On paper the Firestone’s seem clear winners all around. Anyone have any experience with these? I have Michelin pilot sports s3+ on there now And they kinda sucked.

0B57B7D2-1F92-4EBF-859A-C19CB9EC58D4.png
98C1CDC7-50B0-4D29-99DE-E7995D915A7B.png
E2E3CE6D-03F1-4F2C-A36E-4FC95B56F781.png
95569544-DE2D-468C-BC5A-D0ECF2133A51.png
26AAA81D-BFE7-4FED-8A60-F092E747E011.png
39F8B41A-65D1-409A-8F85-688FAAB02BED.png

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
807 Posts
No experience with these tires myself but just by looking at the specs I can tell you the best performance is eagle f1s, the best budget tire is the bfgoodrich, and the middle tire is the firestone. Do you ever drive in cold climate? That's definitely a deciding factor as the f1s would most definitely crack badly with the compound they use. I personally use nitto n555g2s on my car and no complaints other than they're not wide enough on my stock wheels.

Reactions: hemi1031

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No experience with these tires myself but just by looking at the specs I can tell you the best performance is eagle f1s, the best budget tire is the bfgoodrich, and the middle tire is the firestone. Do you ever drive in cold climate? That's definitely a deciding factor as the f1s would most definitely crack badly with the compound they use. I personally use nitto n555g2s on my car and no complaints other than they're not wide enough on my stock wheels.
I live in south Florida. Coldest I’ll see is 40* for like 4 hours at night before the sun comes up and it’s back to 80*. I want a larger foot print on the back. So I’m looking for a 275 which seems the the widest the stocks can safely take.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
807 Posts
I live in south Florida. Coldest I’ll see is 40* for like 4 hours at night before the sun comes up and it’s back to 80*. I want a larger foot print on the back. So I’m looking for a 275 which seems the the widest the stocks can safely take.
As long as your wheels are 9" wide 275 is fine. Any summer tire will be fine in florida

·
Registered
52 Posts
For what its worth i did a lot of research before finally purchasing from Discount Tire the Continental Control Contact SRS. So far they have exceeded my expectations. I would not hesitate to purchase them again.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
621 Posts
Also look at the General RS summer tire if you are on a budget.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Its always nice to go looking for new tires. I am a big fan of the summer tire. Quiet, excellent traction in dry, good in rain.
I run them year round on the Challenger and IS-350. That being said, they don't see snow, rain or 'salt-wash' in the winter time. They may come out on a fairly chilly days in bright sun, but only when dry.
I'm in Virginia, we have a few warm days in the late fall/ winter time-frame. I'm not stupid with the summer tires in winter, and try to run them in snowo_O. I know they have limitations. ( I have seen people try that on a few deep snows) Its something what some will try to get by with.
I don't like 'all season' tires that don't do anything well.

Enjoy your new tire Ajulzi !
best regards
parrott

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,484 Posts
I was planning on doing new wheels when this time came around. But apparently saving for a wedding is more important... so life wins this round and I’m just doing tires for now.
I’ve narrowed down to these 3. On paper the Firestone’s seem clear winners all around. Anyone have any experience with these? I have Michelin pilot sports s3+ on there now And they kinda sucked.

View attachment 999904 View attachment 999905 View attachment 999906 View attachment 999907 View attachment 999908 View attachment 999909
@Nuke ..... if I recall correctly, is running the Firestone Indy 500’s.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,367 Posts
I love, love, love the Indy 500s. Stickier than molasses in the summer time and she’s water like a duck’s butt. Not to mention their look just sitting still is mean and in your face, much more attractive to my eye over the mini-van look some of the others have.

They are UHP summer tires, so I have to run something different the 3 weeks of the year that temps can get close freezing, but other than that, the Indy 500s are the bees knees for me!

Reactions: shak3r and Ajluzi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love, love, love the Indy 500s. Stickier than molasses in the summer time and she’s water like a duck’s butt. Not to mention their look just sitting still is mean and in your face, much more attractive to my eye over the mini-van look some of the others have.

They are UHP summer tires, so I have to run something different the 3 weeks of the year that temps can get close freezing, but other than that, the Indy 500s are the bees knees for me!
Yeah I’m kinda digging the Firestone’s. The Goodyear’s are nice too. I’ll run both by my parts department and see which is the better deal. But I’m liking the Firestone’s right now.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you ever drive in cold climate?
no I live in south Florida.

I’m gonna have my parts dept quote me both the Goodyear’s and Firestone’s. Both seem good and I’m sure either will do the job just fine until I get different wheels the next time tires are worn.

all I really wanted out of these tires is a larger footprint, better traction and little beefier stance. Hopefully I achieve at least 2 of these 3.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
The one knock against the Indy 500s that I have heard and experienced myself is tread life. They won’t last as long as some others, but I’ve never considered that a big enough detriment to keep me from buying them.

The last set of tires I had (Kumho Ecsta) lasted 3 times as long the previous set of Indy 500s, but the Indy 500s perform much better in dry and wet conditions, and they look so much better than the Kumhos, that I am willing to live with the reduced tread life that running them brings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The one knock against the Indy 500s that I have heard and experienced myself is tread life. They won’t last as long as some others, but I’ve never considered that a big enough detriment to keep me from buying them.

The last set of tires I had (Kumho Ecsta) lasted 3 times as long the previous set of Indy 500s, but the Indy 500s perform much better in dry and wet conditions, and they look so much better than the Kumhos, that I am willing to live with the reduced tread life that running them brings.
Yeah I’m on the same train of thought. At this point I want the crap Michelin’s off and get something that grips better. Not too worried about tread life. Plus they do look cool.

and I just realized I went from posting about boost levels and tuning in my previous SRT’s to now discussing how cool a tire looks 😣😂

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Yeah I’m on the same train of thought. At this point I want the crap Michelin’s off and get something that grips better. Not too worried about tread life. Plus they do look cool.

and I just realized I went from posting about boost levels and tuning in my previous SRT’s to now discussing how cool a tire looks 😣😂
I got the set of Indy500s I have now way back in November and they sat in my garage until I put them on a month or so back. I kept complaining to my brother the first several months this year about how the tires I got for winter driving (the Kumho Ecstas) we’re taking too long to wear out.

I finally complained so much my brother said, “quit whining, those Kumhos are good tires evidently! Why are you so in a hurry to ditch them?!?

And I finally admitted it was the looks. Not only do the Indy 500s just look mean when on the car, their tread just looks bad-azz too.

Contrast that to the Kumhos, which look like they would be right at home on a mini-van. And their tread was about as boring as you can imagine.

Fast forward to June when I finally got the Indy 500s on, and the very next day I was parked at my brothers with my front wheels cranked all the way to the right, and we were standing there talking about something. And he just looked down at my tires, got this dejected look on his face, and said, “I hate to admit it, but you were right. Those tires do look bad-azz on your car. Much better than the old ones.

Fast forward to one day about two weeks ago, and we were in my car in town here when I decided to test out the G-Meter in my newly discovered SRT pages. So I took a loop-back exit off I-635 in Irving and gassed it as I entered the 25 mph corner...

49E9CFB5-3DEE-4C13-A0CF-E1AEB2F12CBB.jpeg

I don’t know how fast I got it up to (too busy trying to keep it on the pavement), but I was definitely going too fast around it. And as we came out of the curve and onto the overpass straightaway, my brother slowly loosened the death grip he had on the overhead handle and said, “Damn, your tires saved our asses back there...

He was right. I checked my g-meter and it recorded .99 Gs at one point during that corner.

Reactions: Ajluzi

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
502 Posts

Those BFG's he has shown won't last long either. They have another Gforce comp 2 tire that is better all around than that one.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
619 Posts

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. Remember to breathe.

Of the three tires that you posted, I'd go with the Firestones. As @Nuke said, they work good and look good.

Which model Challenger do you have? And what size rear wheels do you have? You need wheels with some width to them for 275s in the rear.

I'm in North Florida so I only get about 5 more cool days than you do. I have Cooper Extreme Contact Sports on my 2015 SRT 392 and am very pleased with them. I bought these knowing that they're not going to last super long ... but they were a lot of fun on The Tail of The Dragon back in June. :)

Another tire to consider would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. I had the predecessor of the current model on my '11 Challenger R/T Classic and liked them a lot. WAY better than the Generals they replaced. And as-good-or-better than the Goodyear F1s that came on the car for all around performance. If @Dennis H likes them on his Redeye ... they're probably worth consideration.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. Remember to breathe.

Of the three tires that you posted, I'd go with the Firestones. As @Nuke said, they work good and look good.

Which model Challenger do you have? And what size rear wheels do you have? You need wheels with some width to them for 275s in the rear.

I'm in North Florida so I only get about 5 more cool days than you do. I have Cooper Extreme Contact Sports on my 2015 SRT 392 and am very pleased with them. I bought these knowing that they're not going to last super long ... but they were a lot of fun on The Tail of The Dragon back in June. :)

Another tire to consider would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. I had the predecessor of the current model on my '11 Challenger R/T Classic and liked them a lot. WAY better than the Generals they replaced. And as-good-or-better than the Goodyear F1s that came on the car for all around performance. If @Dennis H likes them on his Redeye ... they're probably worth consideration.
Thanks, it’s my second so not as nervous this time. Plus we are backwards as hell. We’ve been together 6 years, have a daughter and own a house together already lol.

I have a 12 SRT8. I drive basically to and from work 12 miles each way. On the weekends we take the wife’s suv. And I’m honestly just changing the tires now and not a whole wheel setup because of the wedding expense. If these tires last a year I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
2010 srt8 challenger 6 speed
40 Posts
I have the firehawks on my srt8 and they are great. They hook like drag radials as long as your not driving on them in the winter. They hook good in the rain also. When I got the car it had cheap Ironman tires on it and couldn't power shift into second without it just frying the tires. The fire hawks are the way to go

1 - 20 of 28 Posts