Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will fly to Detroit on Friday pickup the car and drive it back to Jacksonville, FL.

What advice do you have regarding breakin speeds on the 18 hour trip back.

I was thinking about keeping it around 60MPH for the first 100 miles.

Then opening it up to about 80MPH for the rest of the trip.

I'm sure I'll open it up a couple of times but I doubt I'll take it over 110MPH.

Anyone see an issue with this? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I am no expert on this, but I recently picked up my Challenger in Boston and drove it 1100 miles to Indiana. I was always taught to vary the engine speed during the first 500 or so miles to allow the rings to seat properly. Whether this is still valid in todays engines is something I don't know. What I did was to vary my speeds from 65 to 75 mph, as well as using 5th and 6th gear alternately. You will find 6th to be a very tall gear and it's easy to lug the engine (not good). What I did was drive 65 in 5th for awhile and then kick it up to 75, leaving it in 5th gear. Then I would shift to 6th for awhile, then drop back down to 65 and shift back to 5th. Occasionally, traffic allowing, I would even drop down to 60 or 62. I know this sounds like a lot but over the course of the trip it wasn't. Doing this insured that the motor was constantly running at different RPM's. Once I hit 500 miles, I set the cruise on 65 in 5th and let it roll. I was in no hurry to get home, drive faster if you wish.

I got 24.3 mpg over the course of the trip and I feel like my motor was broken in properly.

One thing you will find is that the Challenger is an excellent touring car. I have taken many trips and none were more comfortable. The car is roomy and cruises very well.

Enjoy your trip and congrats on your new "392"!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I concur with Jim I did about the something. I drove down to huntsville from Louisville to get mine. Stayed down there a couple days by the time I got back I already had 700 miles on it. It's only been a week and I have 1000. As stated great touring car. So much fun. I'm originally from the westside of jax myself bro haven't been home in a couple years (in the army) but I bet the mopar scene is crazy right now. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Congrats and enjoy your trip back! Be Safe first and foremost!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Yep sounds good, I heard to just not use the cruise control for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yep sounds good, I heard to just not use the cruise control for the first 500 miles.
You're right the manual does state not to use the cruise control.

Also at around 400 mile I took her gradually up to 100mph. I was only slight above 3000rpm at 100mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts