Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked up and a photographer snapped some shots of my Challenger a few events ago at Road Atlanta. I have to say, the one comment that always makes me smile ear to ear is when we go to class after a session and everyone asks who was in the Challenger. Their next comment is always, "I never knew a Challenger could be so fast in the turns, I have a new respect for Dodge". Granted, this is in HPDE2 with NASA SE. However, its pretty amazing what our cars can do with some sway bars/strut bars and Michelin PS4 tires.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts
Represent! (y)

A Guy

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Car sure looks big next to those Beemers :) More folks should try these cars on a track for some real fun.
It does, but just think, modern BMW 3 series look gigantic too when compared to the ones from the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
I lucked up and a photographer snapped some shots of my Challenger a few events ago at Road Atlanta. I have to say, the one comment that always makes me smile ear to ear is when we go to class after a session and everyone asks who was in the Challenger. Their next comment is always, "I never knew a Challenger could be so fast in the turns, I have a new respect for Dodge". Granted, this is in HPDE2 with NASA SE. However, its pretty amazing what our cars can do with some sway bars/strut bars and Michelin PS4 tires.

View attachment 989723

View attachment 989724 View attachment 989725
Those are some great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

Your Challenger looks like she's ready to attack and eat those Bimmers!

What size tires are you running on her? Those back ones look wider than stock!

Since you have the sway bars and strut tower braces, you might think about some sub frame connectors next because they'll really tighten up your chassis (not too mention that they provide jacking points for the jack). Just a thought though.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
441 Posts
Awesome...and i expect those BMWs to break down at ANY moment.

Reactions: StolenProductions

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Way to represent! Well said from another who has discovered it is fun turning left and right with these.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running 285/35R20. They are the same size as Bondurant Racing uses on their Challengers. The are slightly shorter and wider than stock tires.

I usually am one of the fastest in my group. However, I still have a long way to go. I keep a log book and track each run to document what I need to improve. Every single time I have people mention that they are surprised to see how well my car does cornering. One guy told me that he has a huge respect for Dodge.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are some great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

Your Challenger looks like she's ready to attack and eat those Bimmers!

What size tires are you running on her? Those back ones look wider than stock!

Since you have the sway bars and strut tower braces, you might think about some sub frame connectors next because they'll really tighten up your chassis (not too mention that they provide jacking points for the jack). Just a thought though.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've temporarily pressed pause on performance mods and am focusing on getting a racing seat/harness/Hans to improve safety. I'm at a point where I'm hitting almost 150 mph on the primary straightaway at Michelin Road Atlanta. If something goes wrong at that speed, it could be deadly.

Which subframe connectors do you recommend?

Reactions: Jack44 and MiHiHemi

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,898 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I've temporarily pressed pause on performance mods and am focusing on getting a racing seat/harness/Hans to improve safety. I'm at a point where I'm hitting almost 150 mph on the primary straightaway at Michelin Road Atlanta. If something goes wrong at that speed, it could be deadly.

Which subframe connectors do you recommend?
That's good thinking as you can't be too safe because at those speeds, things happen Very quickly and it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Your Challenger is moving out if you're hitting 150 mph on the straight!

As far as frame connectors, the ones that I'm considering using are the Speedlogix/Razor's Edge ones. They are weld in (better than bolt in, in my opinion, as long as you are or know a good welder) and made of chrome moly. There are bolt in ones but I'd think that they'd flex more than welded in units. I have nothing scientific to back that though and is just my opinion, but the bolt ins are only as strong as the weakest piece (dependent on the bolts used to attach it).

I’ve managed to stuff 11” wheels with 305’s in back. Makes a big difference. I love track days!

View attachment 989913
I Really like that picture! Those rear wheels look Huge and also SICK! Your SRT looks like she's ready for business!

What type and size (offset) are the wheels?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That's good thinking as you can't be too safe because at those speeds, things happen Very quickly and it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Your Challenger is moving out if you're hitting 150 mph on the straight!

As far as frame connectors, the ones that I'm considering using are the Speedlogix/Razor's Edge ones. They are weld in (better than bolt in, in my opinion, as long as you are or know a good welder) and made of chrome moly. There are bolt in ones but I'd think that they'd flex more than welded in units. I have nothing scientific to back that though and is just my opinion, but the bolt ins are only as strong as the weakest piece (dependent on the bolts used to attach it).

I Really like that picture! Those rear wheels look Huge and also SICK! Your SRT looks like she's ready for business!

What type and size (offset) are the wheels?
Thanks!

Got the wheels from Velgen. They didn't ask any questions. Just knew the car and poof, perfect fit. Beside the 11"/305 rears, fronts are 285 on 9.5" wheels.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
570 Posts
I’ve managed to stuff 11” wheels with 305’s in back. Makes a big difference. I love track days!

View attachment 989913
I love how you got the spokes in your wheels to perfectly match front to back. That had to take some skill!!

:LOL:(y)

Reactions: Pauljw and MiHiHemi

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
408 Posts
Ain't these beasts fun!? I'm excited to be back to autocrossing this year and then the track in 2021.

So what were your lap times at Road Atlanta? For some Mopar benchmark references, the last gen Viper's factory record there was 1:26.54 and Joel Vandiver put up a 1:37.81 (not sure if it was with his NASA American Iron Challenger or Police Charger - both had 426 strokers).

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ain't these beasts fun!? I'm excited to be back to autocrossing this year and then the track in 2021.

So what were your lap times at Road Atlanta? For some Mopar benchmark references, the last gen Viper's factory record there was 1:26.54 and Joel Vandiver put up a 1:37.81 (not sure if it was his 426-stroked Challenger or old 5.7 Police Charger).
The fastest recorded session I have on record is 1:42. That was the event before last when it was dry. My last event a little over a week ago I was running 1:46 and it was wet (which was a huge improvement since the last time I ran there when it was wet). My goal is to hit high 1:30's.

My biggest accomplishment is I was able to get my laps consistent within 1 second in the rain.

I'm usually one of the fastest in my group. Last event I ran with a Ford Focus RS that was modded and running nearly 400hp. He was slightly faster in the esses, however, I was faster in the straights (but not by a lot). After our run he pulled to the side and was dumbfounded of how my 4300 lb car was able to run with him.

I love working to improve lap times and feel like I have a lot I can improve on. However, it's like walking a fine line at that track as it's a concrete jungle.

Reactions: RWL11

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FreddyG I would definitely go with the welded subframe connectors. My rear four points strut brace has a tendency to squeak at times due to being bolted and not welded. I imagine bolting subframe connectors would possibly do the same.

MiHiHemi my standard street wheels and tires run a similar setup (305s rear staggered). However, it would have been too costly for me to do that setup for the track. Also, the great thing about running square Michelin PS4S setup is that I can fully rotate them (they're not directional) to get more life and track time out of them.

Reactions: A Guy and MiHiHemi
1 - 20 of 26 Posts